Stephen Cope
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Anyone watch it?

I thought it was okay, although I don't fully understand the premise yet. It seems a bit weird to have a main character with an ever-changing personality. Then again, it's way too early to know how Echo will develop. Maybe she'll start to "remember" who she really is. *shrug*

In essence, I'm not quite sold yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
it starts in 45 minutes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"okay" sums it up for me too. No real wow factor though it was interesting. Has potential, especially with the whole "Alpha" thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick B
United States
Sunnyvale
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for reminding me. Someone might have to tell me if anything important happened in the first 15 minutes--I just started recording at 9:15.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The premise just didn't do it for me, so I passed on this..

Too hard to get invested in these type of shows when they just get cancelled after season 1

ie. Jericho, Firefly and many others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
You ever watch just the first episode of Firefly and try to judge it on its own merits without the context of all the other stuff?

Give the man some time, people. Joss is a marathon runner...not a sprinter.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
You ever watch just the first episode of Firefly and try to judge it on its own merits without the context of all the other stuff?

-MMM

I don't deny that, but I don't want to go through another Jericho. That was a good show that had a rough start, then when it got it's footing, CBS hang it out to dry. Firefly aswell, was totally screwed from the start by Fox (which seems to enjoy doing that to it's shows. ie. Futurama, Family Guy, and even Simpsons. Remember when they moved Simpsons to Wednesday night. It tanked on that time slot, and they reluctantly moved it back to Sunday).

So as much as I'd like to give dollhouse a chance. I'll wait to see if makes season 2...

I still haven't tried BSG or Terminator:SCC.... I'll wait until the shows are finished and I get a final verdict on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I thought it was all right, but honestly I wouldn't be watching it if it weren't for the people involved. I am waiting for it to impress me.

puckhead wrote:
Thanks for reminding me. Someone might have to tell me if anything important happened in the first 15 minutes--I just started recording at 9:15.

Nothing really vital. Definitely some backstory hints that will be revisited in ten episodes, but you'll see clips of those again.

You did miss a line that marked it as a Whedon production, though:
"It'll be a clean slate."
"Have you ever actually tried to clean a slate?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cope
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Octavian wrote:

Exactly, which is why I'm witholding a verdict until we see how Echo develops. I was drawn into Buffy and Firefly instantly; Angel, however, took me a little longer. The man hasn't let me down yet so I have high hopes for Dollhouse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cheng
United States
Catonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Octavian wrote:

-MMM

Firefly grabbed me from the very first episode. Dollhouse, on the other hand, I got bored half way through. Then there's the fact that I never did really like Dushku. Although Amy Acker was almost unrecognizable. Anyway, I'm sure Whedon has more up his sleeves, but he should've already learned that FOX would not give him the same kind of leeway he received from WB for Buffy and Angel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I am definitely going to give it a chance, but I have made one conclusion..

Eliza Dushku cannot act. Boo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

But I would pay her to do a table dance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:

-MMM

Which first episode?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I watched this program. I thought it was fine. Is Eliza the actress who played Echo?

She's special... top notch set of lips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cope
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yep, she played Echo. And Faith in Buffy/Angel, if you dig either of those shows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Would you like steak with that?
badge
Have another Keith's
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember all,
Joss was required to make another first episode that Fox liked (a la Firefly). We need to watch at least another episode before deciding.

I thought this episode was weak. If my kid were kidnapped I might try to hire a professional negotiator but not some pre-programmed nut-job who thinks she is. Programming someone to do a hostage negotiation just seems a whole lot more unlikely than just hiring one or going to the cops.

But I like all of Joss's other work too much to give up now. I made that mistake on Firefly and ended up loving that show after it was released in correct order on DVD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Lockridge wrote:
Remember all,
Joss was required to make another first episode that Fox liked (a la Firefly). We need to watch at least another episode before deciding.

That's now how Joss tells it. He says he requested the new first episode, not FOX.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Would you like steak with that?
badge
Have another Keith's
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Lockridge wrote:
Remember all,

That's now how Joss tells it. He says he requested the new first episode, not FOX.

-MMM

I've heard some conflicting rumours on that. Early on I heard that Fox asked for the new first episode. Later I heard Joss do some damage control by saying that he wanted the new one.

Who knows - but I think it more likely that Joss would be under pressure to say something like that in order to stop fans from running away in fear that the same mistakes as in Firefly had been repeated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I am definitely going to give it a chance, but I have made one conclusion..

You're watching her for her acting ability?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:
I liked it.

Me, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Josh Whedon on NPR about Dollhouse - RIGHT NOW - 2/15

Fresh Air Weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, Now it's starting to catch my attention. This weeks episode was more like it.

Still don't like her acting much, but maybe we'll get lucky and someone will whack her this season. Then we can see how well Bunny acts. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cope
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I 100% agree... this week's episode was very interesting. I do think the basic premise of the show is risky. How will we become attached to Echo when she's pretty much a new character every week? Good stuff.

Also [spoiler warning]...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
So did the company know this week's villain wanted to hunt (and possibly kill) Echo? It seems like they did because they required an additional fee up front. But the woman referred to him later as a "psychopath" or "lunatic" or whatever word she used. Maybe the extra insurance was for rock climbing? But why would someone pay that amount of money for a rock climbing buddy? Granted she looks like Echo and will have sex with you, but still...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
I don't think spoilers are necessary for episodes that have already aired.

The additional fee was because of the moderate risk presented by rock climbing and white-water rafting.

I suspect that the drug she ingested was planted intentionally by Alpha to start triggering her to remember who she really is. I also suspect that the "shoulder to the wheel" bit is an attempt at some counter-programming. Hopefully the show is given enough time for us to find out.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.