Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was almost information overload in tonight's BSG episode.

SPOILERS FOLLOW...

Kobol's 13th Tribe had the ability to resurrect but gave it up in favor of procreation when they took up residence on Earth.

The Final Five were scientists on Earth that were responsible for rediscovering ressurrection tech as their cylon centurions turned against them. They resurrected after the nuclear holocaust.

The Final Five traveled to the 12 colonies to warn the humans there to be nice to their cylons. Due to relativitistic time distortion in took them quite a while of (subjective) time to gete there.

Too late, the first cylon war was in progress, the FF gave the centurions the skinjob tech they (the colonial centurions) had been trying to develop so the cylons would stop the war.

The first skinjob, John/Cavill is created in the image of head FF chick Ellen Tigh's father. All skinjobs are given free will. There is a Number 7 that is deleted by Cavill.

Cavill is a nut and uses his free will badly. He steals the resurrected Final Five's memories and makes them live with the colonial humans so they can experience the holocaust of the 12 colonies.I said he was a nut.

The 7th deleted cylon was named Daniel, an artist. When Anders revealed the name Starbuck was shocked for some reason. Starbuck's father was an artist, a musician. Starbuck paints, she's an artist too.

Oh yeah, Galactica is in real bad shape.

That's a whole lot of the backstory that wasn't previously known. Frakkin' A. I love this show and this last half of the last season might be as good as the first season was.

Speculation: Starbuck's father was the supposedly deleted cylon, he survived. She's the first human/cylon hybrid.

thread title edited
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah last night was a major info dump. I wonder if this plan was in place from the beginning or if the producers made it up towards the end.

I agree with you about Starbuck's dad. It explains her resurrection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to have to watch it again this weekend just so I can absorb everything they gave us this week.

Great episode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they are making it up on the spot, but it's much easier to make a decent plot when the series is ending, if just because you don't have to hold so much information back.Thus, we don't have to suffer filler episode after filler episode, like we did in season 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
I think they are making it up on the spot, but it's much easier to make a decent plot when the series is ending, if just because you don't have to hold so much information back.Thus, we don't have to suffer filler episode after filler episode, like we did in season 3.

This could have been planned just prior to or during this season. Ellen Tigh's first appearance was fishy but I don't think she was originally envisioned to be the mother of the skinjobs. I could be wrong. They are doing a good enough job on these last episodes that I'm not going to worry about it. All killer, no filler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Wow!!!!!

I am lame...I haven't been able to watch it yet...probably tonight, but I couldn't wait, so I read this thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I had to make a choice last night between seeing Dollhouse or BSG. Looks like I chose...poorly.

But I watched BSG this morning anyway, so it's all good. Great episode. When "Daniel the artist" came up, my first reaction was, "No, it's Caprice who's the robot."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
we also learnt:

Their brain surgeon is a PC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Timotheous wrote:
we also learnt:

Their brain surgeon is a PC

CYLON.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harkonnen13 wrote:
The first skinjob, John/Cavill is created in the image of head FF chick Ellen Tigh's father. All skinjobs are given free will. There is a Number 7 that is deleted by Cavill.

Did they say "father", specifically? I had the impression it was her son. ?Maybe just because the Cylon himself was her creation? Dunno.

Harkonnen13 wrote:
The 7th deleted cylon was named Daniel, an artist. When Anders revealed the name Starbuck was shocked for some reason. Starbuck's father was an artist, a musician. Starbuck paints, she's an artist too.

I'm not thinking there is a connection, here. Starbuck said pretty clearly that she had been hoping for some information that she was a #7. If her father had been, I would assume that would be 'good enough' for her not to still be desperate for information

Harkonnen13 wrote:
That's a whole lot of the backstory that wasn't previously known. Frakkin' A. I love this show and this last half of the last season might be as good as the first season was.

I dunno, I'm really feeling overloaded from this episode. It's like they blew too much of the story open, so I'm, like....what's left to explain? Other than 'WTF is Starbuck, then?'

hibikir wrote:

I think they had an outline of it - a lot of things do 'work' from season 1 fairly well with current developments, enough that it seems clear SOME things were planned.

However, there are a few obvious things that seemed tacked on - mostly just detail, though (for example, Gaeta and Zarek's ultimate story arc; it's widely known Helo wasn't planned to be a regular at all and only got brought on board due to strong fan reaction to him in the first few episodes; all the other minor characters that came and went over the series, etc). The only really BIG problem I see is the 'there are only 12 models' line they picked up from the pilot. They ran with that unfortunately long, and I wonder when they realized exactly how big a box it locked them into. And that's really the ONLY thing that irritates the hell out of me, now, is all the effort to shoe-horn the current mythos into that line.

Well, sure, there was a whole RACE of Cylons...but only 12 remaining models! So...yeah, we're still good just saying '12'.

Except, wait, nearly half of those 'models' aren't activated yet, and aren't really production 'Cylon models', anyway, but mental imprint survivors from the first Cylons that left Kobol.

Except, wait, there is still more Cylon models yet, than that! Another model type that was 'deleted'...?but maybe not?

--------------

Speculation: overall timeline must be something like this...

"This has happened before" #1

Humans on Kobol develop over time. Create Cylons - first machines, then 'skinjobs'. Eventually, Cylons rebel in a nuclear war and the population splinters and heads their separate directions (the Cylon skinjobs heading for their own planet - by choice or not, they don't travel with the human fleets). Because FTL hasn't been invented yet, this trip takes an insane amount of time, and much of the history is lost to myth.

"This has happened before" #2

Cylon survivors of Kobol (who are now basically human in all but name - able to reproduce, and cannot 'resurrect') set up on Earth, and largely forget about (or misinterpret from surviving stories) their machine rebels. They build machine Cylons, ultimately treat them badly, and they start to rebel. 5 Humano-Cylons from this period find a way to resurrect again, and transfer themselves to a waiting ship, and set off for the other 12 Colonies to warn them.

"This has happened before" #3

Human survivors of Kobol eventually set up 'The Twelve Colonies' and largely forget about (or misinterpret from surviving stories) their machine rebels. Eventually, they build their own Cylon machines, which rebel (and start trying to create their own skinjobs). At this point, the 5 Humano-Cylons arrive during the first war, and unbeknownst to the humans (but beknownst to us), set up a bargain with the 12-Colony-Cylons to end the war in exchange for information about creating skinjobs, and resurrection tech.

In this process, one of the newly created 12-Colony-Cylons, built with the 5-Humano-Cylons tech, tricks them, boxes them up, and recreates them with false memories, and plans to start the whole war over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really enjoying this final season but I'm pretty much just along for the ride at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BookandGame wrote:
I'm really enjoying this final season but I'm pretty much just along for the ride at this point.

Me, I'm mentally checking off ideas for the FFG expansion to the BSG boardgame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks for the break down. I just finished watching this episode a bit a go. Helps me figure it out.

One thing that I'm hung up on, maybe it wasn't supposed to be a big deal, but at the end of season three, the last episode just as Cylons attack, doesnt Rosalyn faint on the bridge and Galactica kind of goes off line at the same time? Or am I just remembering it incorrectly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.