Subject: I'm a Lumberjack... and that's ok. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Sarasio Meyer
United States
Forest City
Iowa
flag msg tools
No Really. Do. or Do not. There is no Try.
badge
Nothing here there is. Look elsewhere you must.
mbmbmbmbmb
At Con of the North 2009, Early Saturday morning, not a lot of people around. A table is set up at the back with a giant banner advertising a new game I haven't heard of. I wander back and find William Sininger setting up his table for a busy day of demoing his new game. Here is my review, thanks for reading and enjoy.

The game play:
The idea is great. Each player is a Lumberjack cutting trees. During your turn you draw a tree if you don't have one. Then you draw a card and play a card. Of course you need an ax, but there are other cards you can play too. You can send the sasquatches after your opponents, you can hire help, get equipment to make you a better logger. A person can also play offensive cards that attack the other players or defensive cards that prevent you from taking loses. Then you roll the dice and either take whacks at your tree, miss the tree, or break your ax.
The play is fast paced and moves quickly from one player to another. There is a great screw your opponent factor that makes the game interesting. you can break their axes, steal their logs, take their equipment, or send the sasquatches after them.

The components:
The components are the only thing that i would complain about concerning the game. One concern i have is the quality of games. I would much rather pay a little more for higher quality, and this is one place where the game could be improved. I know this is a new company, and I know that quality is expensive. That being said, the cards are very thin. It almost feels like they are printed on paper stock. Of course, for people that like card sleeves, this isn't a huge concern. The "tree tokens" are thin little plastic discs. The dice are nice.

Expandability:
Talking to Mr. Sininger, I understand that the first expansion will be out soon, in fact William had promo cards there from the new set. I am excited to get some expansion cards and I look forward to future sets.

All in all it is a great, light, filler game. I like the screw your opponent aspect, plus you get to be a lumberjack. The upcoming expansions can continue making the game better. The cards are a bit thin for my taste, but that can be fixed with card sleeves. Overall I give the game a 7 out of 10.

Thanks for reading and good logging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Evanger
United States
Robbinsdale
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Check out the complete line of IPG games at www.interactionpoint.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The very thought of this game's name makes me smile.

So far, I have played Flapjacks five times, each time with only two players.

I'm sure the game would be even more fun when more opponents get involved; but even with just two lumberjacks a good time is had.

As mentioned, the gameplay is light and fast... very accessible for new players yet complicated enough (and different enough each time you play) to keep it interesting for returning lumberjacks.

A very nice game overall. Great job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.