Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Danila
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had two round run through of a 4 player game today and have a two questions about the Action Cards. The rules are pretty clear that whenever an Action Card is played that it should be announced and that "other players" then gets a chance to play an Action Card of their own. And it seems intuitive to me that the card should be relevant to what is going on, but I am still a bit unsure of a few things.

As an Action
1. If a person plays a card that requires it to be "played as an action" would other people still be able to play cards? Since it is not their turn to take an action I would think the only possible card to play would be Sabotage or something similar that would negate the card played.

In Battle:
2. If players A & B are in a battle, can C decide to play a card to affect the outcome of the battle or should card play be restricted to those involved in the battle? I would think it could go either way. On one hand only the two in the fight are there. But then the game really does a lot with treaties, alliances and bargaining, so why wouldn't another player at times want to assist your pitiful fleet from being demolished by the front runner in the hope that you will help them at a later time?

My group can be pretty anal about things and can find loop-holes in rules no one has found in years of playing. Just want to make sure I have the basics down before they tear me up when I try and teach them the game.

Your expertise and words of wisdom are much appreciated.

Chaz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Ölmestig
Sweden
Halmstad
Halland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
chaz56 wrote:
I had two round run through of a 4 player game today and have a two questions about the Action Cards. The rules are pretty clear that whenever an Action Card is played that it should be announced and that "other players" then gets a chance to play an Action Card of their own. And it seems intuitive to me that the card should be relevant to what is going on, but I am still a bit unsure of a few things.

As an Action
1. If a person plays a card that requires it to be "played as an action" would other people still be able to play cards? Since it is not their turn to take an action I would think the only possible card to play would be Sabotage or something similar that would negate the card played.

In Battle:
2. If players A & B are in a battle, can C decide to play a card to affect the outcome of the battle or should card play be restricted to those involved in the battle? I would think it could go either way. On one hand only the two in the fight are there. But then the game really does a lot with treaties, alliances and bargaining, so why wouldn't another player at times want to assist your pitiful fleet from being demolished by the front runner in the hope that you will help them at a later time?

My group can be pretty anal about things and can find loop-holes in rules no one has found in years of playing. Just want to make sure I have the basics down before they tear me up when I try and teach them the game.

Your expertise and words of wisdom are much appreciated.

Chaz

1. They can play an action card even then if they want to even if it might not affect the outcome of your action.
2. I can't think of any action cards that affect the outcome of a battle between two other players. Generally the action cards that affect a battle only affect a battle in which you are participating. Check the errata for this, because I think there are cards that are changed due to this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
To further discuss:

1) It would depend on the timing of their OWN card. If one person plays a card "as an action", that's the player's action; other players could also play cards, but only if the timing is correct. IE, if their cards also said play "as an action", they would have to wait for their turn to do it. If it said play at any time, or the play as time fits whatever the situation is, it could be played in the normal way right then.

2) Most battle cards require you to have a ship in the battle. Here are some of the cards that may apply:
- Direct Hit - it says that you must be participating. (I believe the base set cards were errata'd to say this).
- Emergency Repairs - Technically you could play it during someone elses battle, but it says it only repairs YOUR ships.
- Experimental Weaponry - It only affects YOUR ships
- Fighter Prototyp - only affects YOUR fighters
- Flanking Tactic - You have to be participating
- Friendly Fire - You have to be participating
- Into the Breach - A little more vague; the first part would sound like it can be applied to ANY dreadnought, but since the last part says "your fleet", it implies that you can only play it against your own ship.
- Military Foresight - Only works for YOUR ships
- Morale Boost - Only affects YOUR units
- Recheck - You have to be participating
- Rule By Terror - It says YOUR ships
- Shields Holding - You have to be participating
- Skilled Retreat - You have to be participating
- Surprise Assault - Only affects YOUR space docks
- Target Their Flagship - You have to have a ship in the battle to choose

Thus, every card specifically says in one way or another that you have to be participating. However, if one of the two players involved plays a card, a third, non-involved player COULD be the one to play Sabotage to cancel it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.