Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a set of simplified, straightforward rules that make this game easy to learn and teach? The rules that come with it are trying so hard to be clever that it gets in the way of the actual learning of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might try playing Gang of Four. It's a climbing game like Tichu, but doesn't have the odd cards like Dog, etc. And in Go4, you don't play as partners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
His complaint is with the way the rules are written, not the complexity of the game itself. Which I can certainly understand.

This might help a bit: http://scv.bu.edu/~aarondf/Games/Tichu/Tichu.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spyros Gkiouzepas
Greece
THESSALONIKI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Don't give up the game because of the strange written rules. If you are going to be be the only one who will read the rulers before the game, play a few round "solitare". You'll get a hang of it.

A big advantage is if you know how to play poker and some other trick traking game.

When you teach the game to new people don't give them all the rules. Explain everything exept the bombs and the scoring. After a few rounds explain the bombs. Play a game without counting points, the game is fun even that way. Next time you play count the score.

I have taught Tichu to many people many of them without any card game experience, and they get the game after the first or second play. To master the game takes a lot longer...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
His complaint is with the way the rules are written, not the complexity of the game itself. Which I can certainly understand.

I like that one best. Also check out Octavian's review - it covers game play very succinctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rogers
Mexico
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a document I put together that explains the rules and has short bit of strategy after each sub-section. I've never uploaded it here, but I suppose I could, if anyone is interested. I'll need to make sure it's not an infringement on anyone's copyright...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Also check out this player aid - I have found it very helpful for learning & teaching. This game is much easier to play than it might seem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ien C.
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

Highly recommend this link for any new players. I found the official Rio Grande Games rules oddly perplexing and frustrating, while these to be very clear and straightforward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.