Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Gage
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I've been reading lately about all the active gaming communities in Portland, Washington DC, and the Bay Area. On the otherhand, I don't hear much from Chicago, Cleveland, Boston, or ...

It makes me wonder -- why do some cities seem to have lots of boardgame action, and others, not so much?

Is the water? The weather? Demographics? Or just the result of a few dedicated and charismatic geeks that have infected their community?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manny Castro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
without a doubt it is the personality of you FLGS. There are four different FLGS within 30 minutes of me. The one furthest away is the one I go to because the people who work there make it worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Almost all of the people I game with have nothing to do with BoardGameGeek.

The few who do are not active here like I am.

For example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Relatively little of the public gaming in the SF Bay Area is centred or organised around game stores. Most of it is independent, organised and held at library meeting rooms, church meeting halls, community centres, corporate cafeterias, coffee shops etc. As for why there's such a high density of gamers here, there's little reason to look further than the high density of technologists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross G.
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Wisdom begins in wonder.
badge
Stale pastry is hollow succor to a man who is bereft of ostrich.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing that the amount of boardgaming going on in various cities is pretty evenly distributed according to population. Most gamers just aren't heavy BGG users (their loss). Heck, our group has been publishing a weekly geeklist of games played for almost two years, and I'm sure the majority of Indy gamers have no idea we exist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Atomic batteries to power! Turbines to speed!
mbmbmbmbmb
There's probably a lot of boardgaming going on, just not publicly or in organised groups.

Only half of the guys I play games or RPGs with I would actually class as gamers. The others just play games. There is a difference, for one - those that just play games are usually totally unaware of a gaming community or sites like BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.