Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spare Tire
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I decided to play a solo match with a random investigator vs a random goo as I enjoyed the match-up I did last week.

My pool includes DH + Curse of the Dark Pharoh (though I’m playing the main-board AH only). I’ve added all the cards/decks from those expansions except DH board specific cards.

My Investigator: Carolyn Fern
Goo: Yog Sothoth (Gates harder to close by 1 + upgraded Cultists) 12 Doom Track

Carolyn’s Starting Items:

$7, 1 Clue, Silver Key (3 auto-pass for Evade chks, then discard), Fire of Asshurbanipal (extra gate can be open w/o waking the Ancient One), Skill: +1 Will, Research Materials (Discard to spend a clue), Lantern (+1 luck)

Interesting - Carolyn’s items seen to fit her well … but no combat bonuses. Why do I get the feeling this will be a short game?

General parameters for one investigator:

9(8) Open Gates = Ancient One Awakens (+1 one for U Item)
Monster Limit = 4 On the main Board, 7 max in the Outskirts
Win Condition = All Gates closed while holding 2 gate trophies.

Opening Mythos:

Gate at Independence Sq (City of Great Race +0), +1 Doom Track, Fire Vampire (+0 evade / Physical Immunity, Ambush).

The vampire stays put.

Clue Appears at the Unnamable. Headline N/A.

General strategy: Carolyn has no weapons – but the 1st gate to open is close by, and +0, tempting for a quick trophy. Also, Carolyn will need trophies later if the Ancient One wakes up. The vampire sitting on the gate takes only one hit to kill, and regular weapons won’t work on it anyway.

Turn 1:

Slider adjust: Speed to 2 (with Sneak 1). Fight/Will: 4/1. Lore/Luck: 4/3.
Move: Indy Square.
Combat: Carolyn will fight the vamp. No horror check for him. Fight 4 -2 for the vamp = 2 dice. Miss, spend a clue for 1 die, success! Trophy. She moves to the Other worlds.
Encounter: A quiet spot to rest. Would have gained back a stamina.

Mythos:

Gate at Science Building (The Abyss -2), +1 Doom, Chthonian (Green Bordered! Instead of moving, on a 4-6 all investigators in Arkham lose 1 stamina, It’s easy to evade at +1, otherwise, the combat stats look tough.. -3 dice/3 toughness/does 3 damage).

The Chthonian moves – but no one is in Arkham at the moment.

Rumor: At the end of each mythos, add +1 Doom on a roll of 1-2. Can remove with an ally discard at the downtown streets. Ack. Just what Carolyn needs – a fast moving doom

Turn 2:
Slider Adjust: stay the same.
Move: to the 2nd half of the City of the great Race
Encounter: A level [2] difficulty sneak -1 check (which Carolyn can’t pass with her base sneak at 1). She loses 3 Sanity and 1 Stamina.

Mythos:

Gate at Indy Square (surge!), Dark Young at Indy Square and A Mi-Go at the Sci Bldg.

The Mi-Go goes airborne.

Clue appears at the Unnamable. (3 clues there now)

Rumor roll: +1 Doom (this rumor is looking like it’s going to be ugly).

Turn 3:
Upkeep: Carolyn gives herself +1 Sanity.
Sliders: Moves the Speed/Sneal to 0/3. (The dark young needs to be avoided!)
Move: Back to Indy Sqr – with explored marker.
Encounter: Attempt to close the gate: 4 dice, -1 for Yog = 3 total. Pass! +1 Gate Trophy.

Mythos:

Unvisited Isle (The Dreamlands +1), +1 Doom, Cultist (who is beefier thanks to Yog.

The cultist moves to the Merch Dist streets.
No Clue at Sci Bldg
Headline: 2 monsters added (but go to the outskirts as the main board is at 4)
Rumor roll: no Doom token (and there was much rejoicing)

Turn 4:
Upkeep: +1 Sanity
Sliders: Speed up to 2 (will use the Key to evade the Dark Young).
Move: Add one token to the Key for an auto evade – move to Eastown Streets. Carolyn’s hoping to catch the eye of the Mi-Go on her way to the Unnamable (but if the cultists stays camped in front, she may go elsewhere). Passing a combat check with the Mi-go nets a U item.

Mythos:

Gate: Silver Twilight Lodge (The Dreamlands +1). +1 Doom, Star Spawn goes to outskirts.

The Chthonian ability triggers -1 Sanity. +1 Clue at the Graveyard.

Environment: 1 Face down Exhibit item drops in Merchant and Rivertown streets due to floods. Terror level goes to 1 – Sarah Danforth has had enough and leaves town.

Rumor Dice: +1 Doom.

Turn 5:
Strategy Change! Carolyn is close to the general store + she has $7, and she needs some firepower. While burning a turn pick up the exhibit items she’s close to is tempting, they’ll be there later. After hitting the store, the +1 Dreamland gate is beckoning at the S. Twilight lodge.

Upkeep: +1 Sanity.
Sliders: No change.

Move: General Store.

Items available: Tommy Gun +6 to Combat chks, Knife +1 to Combat checks, Tome +1 Spell Checks. Hmmm decisions decisions...not! She blows $7 on the Tommy Gun!

Mythos:

Gate: Black Cave (R’lyeh -3), +1 Doom, A ghost goes to the outskirts.

Movement: Chthonian ability triggers -1 Sanity (his symbol seems like its on every card)!
+1 Clue at Unnamable.

Environment: Discard the Flood. Rules Q – are the washed up exhibits supposed to go too? Decided to leave them as it seems to fit the event listed on the card. The new Environment = Ending movement in streets – make a Fight check -1 or be delayed.

Dice for rumor: +1 Doom (again?!).

Turn 6:
Upkeep: +1 Sanity
Sliders: Speed down to 3 ( Carolyn is going to grab the stack of clues at the Unnamable).
Movement: Evade (Key=auto pass, 1 use left) past the cultist to the Unnamable. +4 Clues!
Encounter: Hmm a Sneak check +0 to net 1 unique or exhibit item if Carolyn follows the cultists – fail = monster. Carolyn’s base sneak = 0 , so she’d have to burn Clue tokens…and, with the research materials counting as 1 clue, +4 she has enough to seal a gate. She elects not to follow the cultists.

Mythos:

Gate: Graveyard (Great Hall of Celeano), +1 Doom, A Mi-Go goes to the outskirts.

A cultist moves to Miskatonic streets (and out of Carolyn’s way!).

No Clue at Unvisited Isle.

Headline: +1 Terror level, The messenger leaves town.
Dice for rumor: No Doom token, for a change. Yog is at 9 Doom and it’s only end of turn 6!

Turn 7:
Upkeep: Sanity now back to max.
Sliders: Speed back to two.
Move: Heads to Unvisited Isle/Dreamlands
Encounter in Dreamlands: Luck -2 check Fail=Lost in time/space! Carolyn has a base Luck of 3 +1 (Lantern) -2 (encounter) for a net of 2 dice. Pass! +1 clue.

Mythos:

Gate: Unvisited Isle (Surge), +0 Doom, 5 monsters. The 1st 3 bring the outskirts to 8, emptying the outskirts and +1 Terror (Richard Pickman leaves town) + The General Store Closes! 2 more start filling the outskirts again (Warlock & Elder Thing)
The Mi-Go would have moved, but no one was in the street move.

Rumor on Card ignored.
Dice for rumor: +1 Doom (argh). Yog is now at 10 Doom.

Turn 8:
Sliders: no change
Move: 2nd part of Dreamlands.
Encounter: Pass Speed check -1 or lose all your money. Carolyn has none, so no effect.

Mythos:

Gate: Woods (Plateau of Leng -1), +1 Doom. Hound of Tindalos (goes to outskirts-thank goodness!!).
No monsters move. +1 Clue at the Historical Society
Friendly Environment – The Terror level cannot increase!

Rumor: um, a 1-2 = Yog awakens! A 4, no Doom token.

Turn 9:
Sliders: Move speed down to 1, Loer up 1 to 5 (maxed).

Movement: Come back to Silver Twig light lodge w explored marker. .
Encounter: Gate close attempt. Lore base 5 +1 (Gate) -1 (yog) = 5 dice. Pass! Trophy. Now, the real question – spend 5 tokens to seal? Yog is 1 Doom token from waking up. It will take Carolyn several turns to gather up another 5 clues + the clues will be needed during the final battle. She elects not to seal.

Mythos:

Gate: Woods (Surge). +0 Doom. 5 monsters go to outskirts bring total to 8 – the re-set does not increase terror due to the environment in play.
No monsters move.
1 Clue at Historical Society.
Headline – 2 monsters appear and go to outskirts.
Dice check for rumor: +1 Doom! Yog awakes.

Final Battle:

Yog-Sothoth has Combat -5 and 12 Doom tokens (and magical resistance).

Carolyn needs 12 successes…or, 1 success per Doom token.

She loses one gate trophy at the start of the battle.

Yog attackes via will checks which get harder each round (Carolyn has 1 gate trophy to sacrifice if she fails … and if she fails – game over). She is also well stocked with 5 clue tokens and 1 research material (which acts like a clue token)

Round 1:

Sliders: Carolyn Aggressively slides Fight/Will to 4/1. The first attack by Yog will be +1 Will and Carolina has the +1 will skill.

Combat: Carolyn has Fight 4 + 6 (Tommy Gun) -5 Yog = 5 dice. 0 successes !?

Yog’s Will attack. Carolina has Will 1 +1 (Skill) +1 (Yog round 1) = 3 dice. Pass!

Round 2:

Amanda keeps the aggressive 4/1 (Yog still has all 12 tokens and Carolyn will be forced to reduce the fight power next turn anyway.)

Combat: same as Rnd 1 = 5 dice. 3 successes.

Yog’s Will attack. Carolyn has Will 1 +1 (Skill) +0 (Yog round 2) = dice. Fail. Use research Materials – pass.

Round 3: Slider to 3/2 Fight/Will. Combat now at 4 dice. 1 hit. Will 2 +1(skill) -1 Yog = 2 dice. Pass.

Round 4: Carolyn is getting nervous. Leaves the sliders as is: Combat at 4 dice – 2 hits. Will now at 1 die as Yog is -2 now. Fail, 1 clue, pass.

Round 5: Carolyn goes for the gusto, leaves the sliders alone. Combat at 4 dice – 3 hits! Spends 4 clues for 4 dice (her last clues), 3 hits! Yog is defeated!!!

Wow, a nail biter. Carline had 1 gate trophy for the round 5 0 Will check so could have gone one more round.

The rumor generating Doom tokens really move the speed of the game up a notch.

Also of note, this is my 1st win solo. queue sound of patting self on back
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpareTire wrote:
Win Condition = All Gates closed while holding 2 gate trophies.[/b]

Haha, why did you make it harder than normal for you to win ? 1 investigator = 1+ gate trophies with no open gates.

Quote:
Encounter: Attempt to close the gate: 4 dice, -1 for Yog = 3 total. Pass! +1 Gate Trophy.

Hmm, I think you misplayed/-read Yog's effect. Yog adds difficulty by 1, making the gate closing -X [2], so in this case +0 [2], 4 dice, need 2 successes. P. 13 talks about modifiers and difficulty.

Quote:
The Chthonian ability triggers -1 Sanity.

Cthonian's do Stamina damage. Colour Out of Space eat your sanity.

Quote:
Environment: Discard the Flood. Rules Q – are the washed up exhibits supposed to go too? Decided to leave them as it seems to fit the event listed on the card.

Too lazy to check the card and it's a CotDP card, so you're interpretation is probably as good as anyone's, but I've left them on the board IIRC.

Quote:
She loses one gate trophy at the start of the battle.

Um, why? With Yog you only lose GTs if you fail against his attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spare Tire
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Um, why? With Yog you only lose GTs if you fail against his attack.

Huh, good point, when I read it I thought you had to give one up to avoid being devoured.

Quote:
Hmm, I think you misplayed/-read Yog's effect. Yog adds difficulty by 1, making the gate closing -X [2], so in this case +0 [2], 4 dice, need 2 successes. P. 13 talks about modifiers and difficulty.

Ah, I got used to looking for the brackets for the increase in the number of successes need.

Now that I re-read Yog, I'm not sure I understand how to apply an increase of one to the 'seal' - does it mean that you need 6 Clue tokens? Instead of 5?

This game is starting to remind me of Advanced Squad Leader! I have great fun while playing, yet I always seem to botch a rule or too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spare Tire
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Haha, why did you make it harder than normal for you to win ? 1 investigator = 1+ gate trophies with no open gates.

Wow! I was using the 1 page cheat sheet that I downloaded from BGG.

It says (with bolding added by me):

Quote:
A player closes the last Gate on board and players have Gate Trophies [including the Gate just closed, but not including trophies spent] equal to more than the number of players

So a 1 investigator game would have to have 2 trophies.

However, going back to the rule book, it clearly says equal to or greater - doh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpareTire wrote:
Now that I re-read Yog, I'm not sure I understand how to apply an increase of one to the 'seal' - does it mean that you need 6 Clue tokens? Instead of 5?

Don't think Yog adds to the Clues needed as the term "difficulty" relates to skill checks. Especially when you look at Hastur's effect, which is worded "the cost to seal a gate".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpareTire wrote:
Opening Mythos:

Gate at Independence Sq (City of Great Race +0), +1 Doom Track, Fire Vampire (+0 evade / Physical Immunity, Ambush).
(My emphasis)

Just out of curiosity, were you identifying the gates when you placed them? I thought you only got to find out where they went (and how difficult they would be to close) after you went through to explore them.

Or is there a different rule for solos?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Golux13 wrote:
SpareTire wrote:
Opening Mythos:

(My emphasis)

Just out of curiosity, were you identifying the gates when you placed them? I thought you only got to find out where they went (and how difficult they would be to close) after you went through to explore them.

Or is there a different rule for solos?

Normally you place the gates face up so all can see what gate is where. Playing them face down until entered is a houserule suggested by Richard Launius (the game designer).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Normally you place the gates face up so all can see what gate is where. Playing them face down until entered is a houserule suggested by Richard Launius (the game designer).

Really? I did not know that. (I don't own a copy, just play with other people who do.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spare Tire
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I thought you only got to find out where they went (and how difficult they would be to close) after you went through to explore them.

This sounds like a simple way to add a bit on an increase in difficulty to the game.

If I start to actually win more than 50% of the time I might add this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpareTire wrote:
Quote:
I thought you only got to find out where they went (and how difficult they would be to close) after you went through to explore them.

This sounds like a simple way to add a bit on an increase in difficulty to the game.

If I start to actually win more than 50% of the time I might add this.

I don't like that method, because it cuts down on the strategy. Since closing particular gates can remove certain nasty monsters (Colour Out of Space for example), as well as remove corruption cards associated with a particular gate symbol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Woźniak
Poland
Niemcz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
according to rules - where it clearly states, that all hits above are not accounted - carolyn can deal 1 damage per turn, so she would need 12 clue tokens before the battle to just survive. Otherwise, one player game would be so easily winable against this particular GOO - simply pack as much as good equipment as you can (spells or other hardhitting staff) and in two - three turns He's dead. What's the point of trying to stop His coming, if He's so easy to kill?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MarcinW wrote:
according to rules - where it cleary states, that all hits above are not accounted - carolyn can deal 1 damage per turn, so she would need 12 clue tokens before the battle to just survive. Otherwise, one player game would be so easily winable against this particular GOO - simply pack as much as good equipment as you can (spells or other hardhitting staff) and in two - three turns He's dead. What's the point of trying to stop His coming, if He's so easy to kill?

It's been clarified in the FAQ that you can do all the damage you want in a single turn, and that successes carry over. If they didn't 1 investigator final combat vs Cthulhu would be impossible, you remove 1, he regenerates 1, you die after 7 rounds. Basically, just multiply the number of doom tokens by the number of investigators for the total number of successes you need.

Of course, this can lead to some IMO stupid methods, like one person posted over on FFG forums, Joe Diamond collected 32 Clue tokens, had shotgun and Mandy was in the game, Joe did 55 hits on his first attack shake . Just count final combat wins as draws (as I do), that should motivate you to close/seal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Woźniak
Poland
Niemcz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank You very much for clarification, but then it's almost impossible for GOO jelly to win against a comboed investigators, which should be the other way around. And lonely investigator that spent entire game just preparing for a final battle would stand even a greater chance than, say, five of them. And some things like dynamite or Powder of Ibn Ghazi could make it devastating/ each taking 3 probable hits on poor Island sized Cthulhu or some smaller, yet still Great Old Ones... Where can I find this FAQ thing, anyway

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Point is that with 3+, close/seal wins don't require crazy amounts of luck, like they do with 1-2. Thus final battle should be hard. But, at least they get to carry over the successes, so they can remove multiple doom tokens. I'm 19-14 in final combats without ever preparing for them (4 investigator games).

FAQ and other stuff (might have to be registered for some of the files):

http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.