Popular Tags: [View All]
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We originally read the cards incorrectly when learning how to play. We understood that when resolving a drink event such as "Round on the House" you should completely ignore any other drink events drawn and keep drawing until you get an actual drink.

Recently someone actually read the cards carefully and found that you should stop drawing at that point and simply not take any alcohol effects.

We agreed that our original interpretation suited us better since it keeps everyone in the round of drinking making the game just a slight bit faster and also seems more in keeping with the spirit of the card and the game as a whole.

Just curious what others thoughts are on this.
Especially curious if any developers could chime in on why those cards were worded so that the person drawing the second event was just out of the event instead of drawing till a drink comes up.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually the Drink Event cards are subtly different betwen the two game sets. The cards from the first set conclude with: "The effects of Drink Event cards are ignored and they count as 0 alcohol content" - Meaning the player who draws a Drinking Event "scores" 0 alcohol, and will thus likely lose the contest. In no way does the text imply the contest is cut short.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I meant that player stops drawing drinks. Not everyone.

And, yes, I see that the second edition is different. I hadn't noticed that before.

I would still argue that they should be ignored since the point is to drink. Not to NOT drink which is effectively what drawing a drink event in this situation does.

If you wish to not take effects you better have a card that negates it. Otherwise, you're getting drunker!
Maybe a subtle thing but it fits thematically and slightly speeds the game.

Again, this fits more with how we like to play. I'm certainly not advocating everyone do this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.