7 Posts

Dinosaurs of the Lost World» Forums » Rules

Subject: Does the Machete change Hazard penalties? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nils E
msg tools
mb
I sent the following question to WOTC, but I guess they don't support out-of-print games. I would appreciate any help.

Quote:
I have Dinosaurs of the Lost World by Avalon Hill, rules (c) 1987.

I would like a clarification on the benefits of the machete. Two event cards (21 and 28) imply that the machete helps with the Carnivorous Plant Patch and the Bamboo Brake, respectively. Event card 21 reads in part: "Play at your option, but only when ending your turn in the Carnivorous Plant Patch. If without a Machete, the Hazard penalty still applies." Event card 28 reads in part: "Regardless of whether you have a Machete, if you start and end your turn in the Bamboo Brake..."

I naturally expected the rules to say something like "If you have a Machete, you do not lose a turn in the Hazards," but I can find no such rule printed. Am I overlooking the rule? If I have a machete and event card 21, and end my turn on the Carnivorous Plant Patch, do I lose a turn?

Hazards are covered under rule 6.12 in my rules. A post at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/2520389 indicates that there is an updated rule booklet (c) 1997. Are this or any other rules changed in that revision?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nilstycho wrote:
Am I overlooking the rule?

I'm not sure if overlooking is the right word - you are certainly making it too hard.

Question:

nilstycho wrote:
If I have a machete and event card 21, and end my turn on the Carnivorous Plant Patch, do I lose a turn?

Answer:

nilstycho wrote:
Event card 21 reads in part: "Play at your option, but only when ending your turn in the Carnivorous Plant Patch. If without a Machete, the Hazard penalty still applies."

So if you play your machete, you can avoid the hazard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Similarly, the bamboo brake card say if you start and end your move.. Not start or end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nils E
msg tools
mb
So if I have a machete and do not have event card 28, and end my turn on the Bamboo Brake, do I still lose a turn, or is this a "special ability" that event card 21 confers?

(It seems like if it were a special ability, the card would read "If you have a Machete, the Hazard penalty does not apply.")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nilstycho wrote:
So if I have a machete and do not have event card 28, and end my turn on the Bamboo Brake, do I still lose a turn, or is this a "special ability" that event card 21 confers?

(It seems like if it were a special ability, the card would read "If you have a Machete, the Hazard penalty does not apply.")

I agree. The whole reference to a Machete seems pointless - nothing anywhere in the rules indicates it will help you in the Bamboo Brake.

Maybe they mixed it up with card 21, where it clearly does help you, when doing the card layout? Bottom line, the Machete does nothing in the Bamboo Brake whether you have card 28 or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nils E
msg tools
mb
Sphere wrote:
Bottom line, the Machete does nothing in the Bamboo Brake whether you have card 28 or not.

Alright, that sounds good. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's just in case people ask "I have a machete, can I avoid the penalty?", to which the answer is no. In being proactive, they became confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.