1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Beware of rubber bands in your stored collectable games! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just cracked open SPI War of the Ring and the event cards had been bundled with rubber bands. They were more dried than sticky, I was able to peel them off the cards without doing damage. But sometimes rubber gets nasty gummy.

From now on its ziplock bags...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...or poly bands. They don't age and stick like rubber bands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
HAH! laugh I just opened up my Statis Pro Baseball after about 15+ years. I had all the teams individually "banded".

Needless to say, every band deteriorated into crumbs and the hundreds of cards were strewn throughout the box.

A lesson learned, eh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
It sucks as well to open a "brand new game" (2009) which also uses rubber bands to store the paper goods and find a "rubber band valley" permanently etched. This happens often enough.

GOOD TIP: Poke a hole in your baggies (get a hole punch if possible).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Today, we're all Spaniards!
Gronak wrote:
I just cracked open SPI War of the Ring and the event cards had been bundled with rubber bands. They were more dried than sticky, I was able to peel them off the cards without doing damage. But sometimes rubber gets nasty gummy.

Try this stuff - Wonder Tape.

http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?prod_id=204

Basically wraps around the cards and holds with static charge or something. Others on BGG have referred to it by a different name, but it works the same.

Holds card very secure, and over a large area causing no damage. My wife had a roll and I've sworn off rubber bands. Cut it length wise, an 8" strip holds even a large deck of cards. A little pricey but worth it. You can also use it for emergency hose repairs in the car too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Liumas wrote:

Why?

Is it some reason related to moisture/humidity or something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronak wrote:

There's a website with a DIY tuck box tool I've been using to store all my cards. I've also seen more than a couple of deteriorating bands...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
Liumas wrote:

Why?

It's easier to stuff flat if there's a hole in it. I always want a little hole in all my baggies.

I'd be so bold as to say that you're safe using rubber band for games that you play often. The rubber bands will break LONG before they can cause any damage.

The problem is with games that you might leave untouched for a year or so. For a rubber band, going from "starting to get dry" to "stick to cards" takes about a year or so, I reckon.

My problem with baggies is that they're so frigging ugly. I hate transparent soft plastic. Lucks so frigging tacky. I'd much more like some paper equivalent of rubber bands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Would
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeneSteeler wrote:
HAH! laugh I just opened up my Statis Pro Baseball after about 15+ years. I had all the teams individually "banded".

Needless to say, every band deteriorated into crumbs and the hundreds of cards were strewn throughout the box.

A lesson learned, eh?

Had the same with Statis Pro Football, but to make it worse was a combination of teams from different years. I've not been able to face sorting them out again...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:

My problem with baggies is that they're so frigging ugly. I hate transparent soft plastic. Lucks so frigging tacky. I'd much more like some paper equivalent of rubber bands.

Tuckboxes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fishhaid
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
Hi there, Face here!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've started using Hugo's Amazing tape (vinyl, peels off and can be cut to any size).

www.amazingtape.com.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't used rubber bands in years. Ziplock everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Becker
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...or use hair band elastics. They are covered with woven cloth material, won't ever stick to cards, and won't deteriorate like rubber bands.

And, unlike plastic bags, they allow the cards to breath, reducing warping, maintaining flexibility, and extending the lifespan and vibrancy of inks and coatings. You wouldn't store an acoustic guitar or violin in a plastic baggie, would you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
>You wouldn't store an acoustic guitar or violin in a plastic baggie, would you?

Aside from sticking to the finish, sure. It will maintain exactly the same moisture level; so if it is correct when bagged it will remain so. No chance of absorbing too much & getting moldy or becoming dried out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Yes Chris. Moisture can't be avoided, even from our fingers.

I used to not seal the baggies so as not to seal in moisture. Now I punch a hole and zip it up. You'll thank me years later.

cbs42 wrote:
Liumas wrote:

Why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus A
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
It's so stimulating being your hat
badge
The way forward is sometimes the way back
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
cbs42 wrote:
Liumas wrote:

Why?

It's easier to stuff flat if there's a hole in it. I always want a little hole in all my baggies.

I, on the other hand, like my bags whole since then you can squeeze most of the air out and get a quasi-vacuum-packed result. Keeps counters/cards/etc in a nice solid block.

I'm guessing that the moisture issue depends on your climate. If your air is dry and hands are sweaty, then I would probably concur with the long-term benefits of a punctured bag. Being in the middle of a subtropical summer at the moment, I tend to be more of the "the less air in the bag the better" opinion.

Then again, I'm open to reading and learning from more empirical accounts of long-term games storage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hair bands work fairly well - ie: what people use to put hair in pony tails. You can get some thin ones, and because they are covered in some fabric they protect the cards a little more and won't damage them over time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Cleary
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just use cardboard boxes and tuckboxes. Make sure you pad the box if it isn't full. Cards will fall over into empty space and bend out of shape. Not sure how long that takes, but it does happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Tuxbury
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
badge
SHAZAM!
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Hugo's Amazing Tape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm all for the Amazing Tape as a great idea, and a well-marketed one... but for me, simple hairbands in the beauty section of any pharmacy or department store (or dollar store) work fine. They cost about $1 USD for about 20 of them. If the ones without metal clasps, there is no chance of rust, plus the ones without metal are actually stronger. They have thread around the elastic, so there is no chance of rubber-band gumminess. And, again, this is a very affordable solution.

The range in size from a few inches in diameter for cards, to large ones of about 12" in diameter which expand to cover most board game boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
terrene wrote:
I, on the other hand, like my bags whole since then you can squeeze most of the air out and get a quasi-vacuum-packed result. Keeps counters/cards/etc in a nice solid block.

Hi Markus - I easily squeeze the air of bags with 'poked holes' and I find it much easier to do so when the bag has air holes. The bags always pack flatter and lay better in the box as I can now actually almost completely remove all excess air.

I've gotten so used to this in fact that recently when I was sealing up some food stuffs inside FREEZER BAGS I subconsciously reached for the hole punch so as to get the bag flatter. Not a good plan...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I don't mind using plastic bags, but using Ziploc bags does look tacky.

I've looked in local stores but can't seem to find bags like the ones that came with Agricola.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:

I've looked in local stores but can't seem to find bags like the ones that came with Agricola.

Walmart, in their craft section, sells bags similar to what the game manufacturers use. The come in three different sizes, one of which is so small it's only good for itsy-bitsy old-school wargame counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Galloway
Canada
Lansdowne
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LordBobbio wrote:
apotheos wrote:

Walmart, in their craft section, sells bags similar to what the game manufacturers use. The come in three different sizes, one of which is so small it's only good for itsy-bitsy old-school wargame counters.

Dollarama boys, Dollarama.

(Caveat: dollar store rubber bands break in two mere months after purchase. But the baggies seem good, quality-wise.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boards and bits also have a wide range of sizes of plastic bags available. Some of them are a little flimsy, but most are okay. The 4x5" ones are particularly useful for cards.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.