Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Timotheus
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering if anyone here knows if the trio of terror special ability means that if you rolled a '15' for your running backs that you can move EACH running back 15 spaces or just 15 spaces BETWEEN all of them?

The rules doesn't seen to be very clear on this either way.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♫ As the masters rot on walls ♫ And the angels eat their grapes ♫ I watched Picasso Visit The Planet Of The Apes ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
RULE 2: The Trio of Terror
When rolling the red die, you may move ALL of your running backs up to the number rolled . Only one running back may be moved next to an opposing player, and all running backs are moved before resolving the tackle.

we're playing right now and had the same question.
I believe
Quote:
up to the number rolled
indicates all (2 or more) running backs split the roll.
In the past, we've played where each Running Back moves the total rolled and it seemed a bit too potent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, I've always played it that every running back gets to move the full amount. Splitting dice seems too complex a game mechanic for this game to me.

I haven't found it to be too potent in my games. Unless of course the defense left a hole open (or was destroyed badly and couldn't keep the holes closed) in which case, the ability should be powerful.

Either way can work, but I'll continue with the simplified, non-split version because I feel that fits with the spirit and intent of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♫ As the masters rot on walls ♫ And the angels eat their grapes ♫ I watched Picasso Visit The Planet Of The Apes ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
KingCroc wrote:
Funny, I've always played it that every running back gets to move the full amount. Splitting dice seems too complex a game mechanic for this game to me.

I haven't found it to be too potent in my games. Unless of course the defense left a hole open (or was destroyed badly and couldn't keep the holes closed) in which case, the ability should be powerful.

Either way can work, but I'll continue with the simplified, non-split version because I feel that fits with the spirit and intent of the game.

I totally agree with keeping the game simplified. Playing Heroscape has shown me how fun and fast-playing simple mechanics can make a game.
But as well, I do find it crazy to see three players running a potential 20 spaces each. But Battleball Running Backs are not powerful players when it comes to tackling, so the power could be balanced.

EDIT
Actually Alex, I swing my interpretation back to your view.
Playing my interpretation of Trio of Terror creates more questions and or problems to the original power.
When a 1 or 2 is rolled on the D20, all the Running Backs would not be able to move.

With the simplified interpretation of the team rule, this is never a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's true that a single 20 could send all the running backs across the field, but again, this happens a lot in battleball. It's a game of extremes. Also, if all three running backs are able to make it to the back of the field without the chance of coverage or reprisals, then I think the other team has been outmaneuvered anyway.

Also, I think dividing the roll among running backs would actually make it a weaker ability than intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timotheus
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I think when I played this game the first time that we used the dice roll for *each of the trio of terror. You would think that if the designer intended for it to be used between the 3 it would have been specific in saying that...

Thanks guys for your replies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.