Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

Agricola» Forums » General

Subject: Whats the lowest score you've seen? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Krister Dahlgren
Sweden
Gävle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Allright, there are lots of posts about high scores (50+) but almost none on low scores.

Four of us geeks sat down this weekend and among other games, played Agricola. This was about our 20th game, so none of us were new to the game, although none of us can claim to be an "expert" in any way.

Game goes on as usual, everyone piling up on resources and blaming others for "stealing" action spaces. About 2/3 through, things were looking good for me, I had a solid food engine that could easily support 4 family members, plenty of fields and a couple of pastures with sheep and boars, and resources for renovating to a stone house in a few turns. From this part forward, I only tried to maximize my score, as all basic needs were covered.

The game ended. I felt confident in winning, even though I only had 4 family members and 3 stone rooms. Another players had 5 family members and 5 stone rooms, but his farm was only about half-built, with 10 empty spaces, whereas my farm was completed.

We counted up the score, and all bursted out in laughter. I came in forst with 42 points, followed by the guy with the large stone house at 36 points. Then there was a 12-point gap to the third player at 24 points. However, there was an even greater gap to the last player, who came in very, very, very last at 10 points (!) We all looked at his farm for a couple of seconds and then laughed ourself silly! There was almost nothing there!! We could not understand what he had been doing in the 14 turns of the game.

His score sheet looked as follows:

Fields: -1
Pastures: 1
Grain: -1
Vegetables: -1
Sheep: 2
Boar: -1
Cattle: -1
Unused Sp: -7
Stables: 1
House: 0
Family: 9
Cards: 5
Bonus: 3

TOTAL: 10

Looking at it now, it looks impossibly bad. He was busy trying to get his family fed and never had actions to spare. He had a bunch of resources at the end of the game though. He is usually a decent player, but after this, we will mock him for a long time

My question now is: what is the lowest score you have ever seen in a multiplayer game? The second lowest we have got in our group is 17 points, which is still 70% more than 10...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kadavriak wrote:
Allright, there are lots of posts about high scores (50+) but almost none on low scores.

Four of us geeks sat down this weekend and among other games, played Agricola. This was about our 20th game, so none of us were new to the game, although none of us can claim to be an "expert" in any way.

Game goes on as usual, everyone piling up on resources and blaming others for "stealing" action spaces. About 2/3 through, things were looking good for me, I had a solid food engine that could easily support 4 family members, plenty of fields and a couple of pastures with sheep and boars, and resources for renovating to a stone house in a few turns. From this part forward, I only tried to maximize my score, as all basic needs were covered.

The game ended. I felt confident in winning, even though I only had 4 family members and 3 stone rooms. Another players had 5 family members and 5 stone rooms, but his farm was only about half-built, with 10 empty spaces, whereas my farm was completed.

We counted up the score, and all bursted out in laughter. I came in forst with 42 points, followed by the guy with the large stone house at 36 points. Then there was a 12-point gap to the third player at 24 points. However, there was an even greater gap to the last player, who came in very, very, very last at 10 points (!) We all looked at his farm for a couple of seconds and then laughed ourself silly! There was almost nothing there!! We could not understand what he had been doing in the 14 turns of the game.

His score sheet looked as follows:

Fields: -1
Pastures: 1
Grain: -1
Vegetables: -1
Sheep: 2
Boar: -1
Cattle: -1
Unused Sp: -7
Stables: 1
House: 0
Family: 9
Cards: 5
Bonus: 3

TOTAL: 10

Looking at it now, it looks impossibly bad. He was busy trying to get his family fed and never had actions to spare. He had a bunch of resources at the end of the game though. He is usually a decent player, but after this, we will mock him for a long time

My question now is: what is the lowest score you have ever seen in a multiplayer game? The second lowest we have got in our group is 17 points, which is still 70% more than 10...

I saw a 17 by a new player just this past weekend.

Here in the United States, there is a college entrance exam called the "Scholastic Aptitude Test" - SAT. It has changed since when I took it 20 years ago, but back then, the maximum score was 1,600 - 800 points each in two different tests - Math and Verbal. You got a minimum score of 200 on each test for signing your name - therefore, you could never score less than 400.

I would imagine getting a 10 in Agricola is the equivalent of a 400 SAT.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cristofani
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kadavriak wrote:
Allright, there are lots of posts about high scores (50+) but almost none on low scores.

My question now is: what is the lowest score you have ever seen in a multiplayer game? The second lowest we have got in our group is 17 points, which is still 70% more than 10...

Two and a half weeks ago I was in a game with someone who got a 7.
Fields: -1
Pastures: 1
Grain: 1
Vegetables: -1
Sheep: 1
Boar: -1
Cattle: -1
Unused Sp: -10
Stables: 1
House (stone): 6
Family: 6
Cards: 3
Bonus: 2

That game, I got 53.
Fields: 3
Pastures: 3
Grain: 1
Vegetables: 4
Sheep: 4
Boar: 3
Cattle: 3
Unused Sp: 0
Stables: 4
House (stone): 10
Family: 15
Cards: 3
Bonus: 0

The other two players got 20 and 37. Breakdowns available on request.

This was something like the fifth time I had played. One of the other three had played before--don't remember which one. The other two had not. It didn't feel stunningly easy while we were playing--I didn't notice anyone making obviously stupid moves or skipping really good opportunities.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Non Being
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
Raising money to end cancer because those with cancer have better things to do.
badge
I gotta get in shape. Too much sitting has ruined my body.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't even opened my game yet. So whatever that amounts to is my low score.laugh
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
2019 BGG CCE open!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
-114 is the lowest score I've heard of, as per this post.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen a 0, but that was slightly contrived, and by an experienced player. The player in question messed up a couple of rounds near the end and had to take begging cards in a harvest - 3 of them I think. As his score was going to be so low after that, instead of playing the last three rounds to maximise his score he played to end up on exactly 0 points.

The lowest geniune score I've seen was a 14, in a three player game with two experienced players and one player on their second game. I've seen scores in the teens quite often when newbies are mixed in with experienced players.



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Simonitis
United States
Rahway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
-14 or 15 (I don't recall which)

There was a "teaching" game going on at the adjacent table, except the person teaching the game was more interested in getting a 50+ score vs. some hapless victims. As I heard the story later, he never explained the scoring and how if you totally specialized to the point of ignoring 2/3 of the scoring possibilities you would get thoroughly spanked, nor did he adequately explain the need to create a food engine (nor did he teach them how to make one).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a zero at my place. My wife taught the game to a couple of non-gamers. One of them picked it up (scored about 20 or so) and the other didn't. My wife felt bad about it and wished she had pulled out TtR instead.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a game last Thursday & the worse score was -5. What makes it worse is that he had already played the Medicant (discards 2 begging cards) earlier in the game. He had a total of SEVEN begging cards before getting rid of two!!!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If I remember correctly our group had a score in the high single digits... 8, I think it was.

Brian
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time I pulled it out, I scored 4. I had 3 begging cards. Rough first game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james henderson
United States
Wyoming
flag msg tools
Ya I actually had a -9, after having a serious food issue for most of the game.

Our group has decided to do away with begging altogether, of course, as I think it has to be the weakest part of the game.

-3 points for each food missed in the game?

-9!! I had a total of -40 worth of BC's...I tried to come back strong, but to no avail.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Giron
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kadavriak wrote:
He is usually a decent player, but after this, we will mock him for a long time

My 6 yr old daughter ask me to teach her to play a few weeks ago and, without much help from me other then reminding her to have enough food at harvest, managed to score 18. So if your buddy is ever in town, and is looking for some competition.....
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krister Dahlgren
Sweden
Gävle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hehe lots of good (bad) stuff here. Disregarding all "teach new player"-games with negative scores, unserious players, and lots of begging penalties, I must still consider my friend's score of 10 as exceptionally low. Remember that he has at least 15 plays under his belt, is no stranger to games in general, and had no negative points for begging.

However, that 7-score game may be what keeps us from rewarding him with the "worst farmer" award... until next game. devil
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
César
Spain
flag msg tools
Otro mundo es necesario!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My father did a -3.

He used to play much better, but that was a horrible game for him...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sigtaulefty wrote:
The first time I pulled it out, I scored 4. I had 3 begging cards. Rough first game.

had to pull the scoresheet to expand:

Fields: 1
Pastures: 4
Grain: -1
Veggies: -1
Sheep: -1
Boar: -1
Cattle: 2
Unused spaces: -3
Fenced stables: 0
clay rooms: 0
stone rooms: 0
family members: 9
cards: 4
Begging cards -9

painful. Scores since then have been better though. Low 30's into the 40's some games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
Here in the United States, there is a college entrance exam called the "Scholastic Aptitude Test" - SAT. It has changed since when I took it 20 years ago, but back then, the maximum score was 1,600 - 800 points each in two different tests - Math and Verbal. You got a minimum score of 200 on each test for signing your name - therefore, you could never score less than 400.

Not relevant to the discussion of Agricola, but yes you could. You gained points if you got an answer right. You got nothing if you left it blank. You lost points if you got it wrong.

If you filled in the entire test randomly, chances are your score would be less than 400.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Think I had a 6 or 8 one game vs. Out4Blood. Late night game on a school night and he hosed me for food (and plenty of other things, I'm sure) in first harvest. One of those games where I knew it was hopeless about 10 minutes in and just wanted it to end quickly. He played fairly quickly but I was just throwing down actions as fast as I could to to it over. When all was said and done what I had was a single digit score and what wish I had was that 50 minutes of my life back. Ouch!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Johnson
United States
Vernon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KnobDoctor wrote:
chrisnd wrote:
Here in the United States, there is a college entrance exam called the "Scholastic Aptitude Test" - SAT. It has changed since when I took it 20 years ago, but back then, the maximum score was 1,600 - 800 points each in two different tests - Math and Verbal. You got a minimum score of 200 on each test for signing your name - therefore, you could never score less than 400.

Not relevant to the discussion of Agricola, but yes you could. You gained points if you got an answer right. You got nothing if you left it blank. You lost points if you got it wrong.

If you filled in the entire test randomly, chances are your score would be less than 400.

No. The lowest score for each test (2 at the time) was 200. Simply not answering anything will give you a higher score (something around 320). You had to get everything wrong to 'earn' your 400 instead of the default ~640.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KnobDoctor wrote:
If you filled in the entire test randomly, chances are your score would be less than 400.
Nope. If you got every question wrong on the SAT, you would score 400.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kadavriak wrote:
Hehe lots of good (bad) stuff here. Disregarding all "teach new player"-games with negative scores, unserious players, and lots of begging penalties, I must still consider my friend's score of 10 as exceptionally low. Remember that he has at least 15 plays under his belt, is no stranger to games in general, and had no negative points for begging.

However, that 7-score game may be what keeps us from rewarding him with the "worst farmer" award... until next game. devil

My buddy, Skyp, has shown a distinct inability to master the techniques necessary to win at Agricola. Sometimes his syndrome rubs off on the rest of our crew: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/358353. I sure wish I'd been in the habit of recording the play-by-play back then!

Regardless, I'd say your friend is certainly entitled to the honor of being the worst Swedish farmer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I laid a turd in the form of a 13 score in 2-player Agricola last week. It all fell apart when I was counting on taking Fishing to feed my family. My opponent already had enough food to get through harvest, so she wouldn't spend an action taking the food right? Right? WRONG. 3 begging cards. The rest of the game didn't go so hot either.

13 is by far my lowest score. It should be noted that this happened after I'd played some 40+ games and was not under the influence of any sort of mind-altering substances. Who knows?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Nuts wrote:
My opponent already had enough food to get through harvest, so she wouldn't spend an action taking the food right? Right? WRONG. 3 begging cards.
I dare say that's the nature of 2 pl game. Making my opponent lose 9 points is just as good as making a move to gain 9 points. I can't think of any single move in Agricola that can gain 9 pts so this seems like the strategic best move.

Adding a 3rd player muddles the issue. I 'wasted' an action to make you lose 9 pts. Player C cackles gleefully. I still might do it if I considered you the bigger threat, but I would weigh heavily whether I could afford losing that 1 action compared to player C.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
Total Blue. Total Woman.
badge
But listen again. Is it really the wind, or is it the sound of somebody running one step ahead of the dark?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Agricola for the first time last night. It was a 4-player game and we were all playing the game for our first time. I finished in last place with a 10, the other three players all scored between 20-25. I'm hoping to do better my next game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls