Popular Tags: [View All]
Preston Fuller
United States
Ashland
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love wargames but as a minister I would like to find a game that you win by maintaining a level of peace or balance of power. The closest idea I can think of would be Twilight Struggle where you can't cause WWIII and win.

But TS is all about conflict so I am looking for more then just that one mechanic of balance.

I am not looking for any of the standard top Coop games. I am aware of them. Hence, Pandemic would be a fine example but I have that.

Any "peace" game is welcome. It can be a game with player conflict but the theme is very peace based or social justice based.

Thanks for your help ahead of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Many of the civilization-style games seem to fit your needs. They're about building and growing, not destroying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.purplepawn.com/2009/02/the-world-peace-game-1-and...

Not something you can actually own, of course, but it's a nice idea all the same!

My uncle and I came up with an idea for a game in which players were a prominent country, and they were trying to maintain peace, (i.e. United Nations). The scenarios would sometimes be famous eras in history, such as the Cold War or Great Depression, or something, but the real COOL part would be that you could play a scenario of last month! So whatever the political standings around the world were, you would set the game up accordingly and players would take command. So every month there would be a new scenario of the last month to play. Cool, huh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Preston Fuller
United States
Ashland
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
Many of the civilization-style games seem to fit your needs. They're about building and growing, not destroying.

I hear you. something as simple as Settlers could be like this.

I guess I am looking for a game where social justice, peace, or historical social justice setting, is the theme and/or the mechanic of the game is a tension where you are trying to win but must do so through a balance of power and tension between yielding power but not to much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Morley
United States
Rainier
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried looking into more Euros? They have conflict and everyone is usually competitive until the last turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dubin
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prestonisnormal wrote:
historical social justice setting, is the theme and/or the mechanic of the game is a tension where you are trying to win but must do so through a balance of power and tension between yielding power but not to much.

Sounds like you want Spiel des Friedens, but I don't know where you'd get a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Ploughshares is a cooperative historical game with such a theme: "In 1895 in Russia, a group of Christian villagers, believing deeply in Peace and Sharing, burned the Weapons given them by the Tsar. We become those villagers driving wagons through the countryside, visiting homes to collect Firewood & Weapons. We take these to the Village Center and make Ploughshares."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Preston Fuller
United States
Ashland
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ddubin wrote:
Prestonisnormal wrote:
historical social justice setting, is the theme and/or the mechanic of the game is a tension where you are trying to win but must do so through a balance of power and tension between yielding power but not to much.

Sounds like you want Spiel des Friedens, but I don't know where you'd get a copy.

Wow, that is designed by Andre Seyfarth yet there is no information about the game. It does sound like what I am looking for but not even a comment on the game.

Was this some special release he did?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
Chester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being a middle school social studies teacher, I think this is a fascinating subject.

I've come to the conclusion that no matter how one tries to wish it otherwise, the ability to define "peace" or "social justice" comes from having won some sort of conflict that allowed you to be the rules maker in the first place; for example, the UN and the Bretton Woods agreement are products of who won World War II. "Peace," in particular, is a state which can only be defined by context; it exists very much in the eye of the beholder. (Interestingly, the game that immediately came to mind as meeting your criteria of "a game that you win by maintaining a level of peace or balance of power" was Diplomacy--one of the least "peaceful" games I've ever played! But then again, peace often comes in the wake of hegemony.)

The problem is that the state of peace maintains a status quo, and a status quo always benefits some more that others. While better for most than a state of war, peace still has its winners and losers. Of course, that is exactly why peace is a state that does not last.

I think most historical games, heavy on conflict, are great vehicles for understanding this historical dynamic: How hard it is to achieve peace and any form of social justice! How much we should appreciate the sacrifices of those who made whatever progress we now enjoy possible! Games that, on the other hand, try to impose some idealistic outcome, no matter how well-intentioned, are--unless they fail --less likely to generate that kind of appreciation for the past.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Preston Fuller
United States
Ashland
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Ploughshares is a cooperative historical game with such a theme: "In 1895 in Russia, a group of Christian villagers, believing deeply in Peace and Sharing, burned the Weapons given them by the Tsar. We become those villagers driving wagons through the countryside, visiting homes to collect Firewood & Weapons. We take these to the Village Center and make Ploughshares."

LOL This is a Jim Deacove gameI I just had a great debate with Randy over Deacove and COOPS. Based on the one rating it is more of a kids game in intensity. I have now played his Cave and Claws game and if it is anything like that it is indeed a very simplistic game. As in my 5 year old can beat the game.

However, the theme and idea of Ploughshares is spot on. I just wish it was more heafty in game complexity.

* To the other post by Marc. I am certainly not against Euros. However, just because a game is void of conflict or seemingly peaceful, like Agricoal or Settlers, doesn't mean it is about Peace, social justice or hold tension in use and balance of power.

To give an example: If there was a Euro game about the Underground Railroad and the abolitionist movement then that would work. It is also OK if one person plays the more "corrupt" side as long as the conflict isn't resolved through military or violent means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Preston Fuller
United States
Ashland
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rcrawford wrote:
Being a middle school social studies teacher, I think this is a fascinating subject.

I've come to the conclusion that no matter how one tries to wish it otherwise, the ability to define "peace" or "social justice" comes from having won some sort of conflict that allowed you to be the rules maker in the first place; for example, the UN and the Bretton Woods agreement are products of who won World War II. "Peace," in particular, is a state which can only be defined by context; it exists very much in the eye of the beholder. (Interestingly, the game that immediately came to mind as meeting your criteria of "a game that you win by maintaining a level of peace or balance of power" was Diplomacy--one of the least "peaceful" games I've ever played! But then again, peace often comes in the wake of hegemony.)

The problem is that the state of peace maintains a status quo, and a status quo always benefits some more that others. While better for most than a state of war, peace still has its winners and losers. Of course, that is exactly why peace is a state that does not last.

I think most historical games, heavy on conflict, are great vehicles for understanding this historical dynamic: How hard it is to achieve peace and any form of social justice! How much we should appreciate the sacrifices of those who made whatever progress we now enjoy possible! Games that, on the other hand, try to impose some idealistic outcome, no matter how well-intentioned, are--unless they fail --less likely to generate that kind of appreciation for the past.

Hey Robert. As a student of History I understand what you are saying. Yet, I am not looking for a philosophy, just a game.

Meaning, I don't want to play a war game to teach that sometimes a Just war offers the setting of future peace. I don't want to try and teach or preach anything LOL. I am just looking to see if there is a game with a setting that is more centered around say, the environmental crisis, Civil Rights, Abolitionist movement, objectives through a cooperative or peaceful means (like Pandemic) or where players have to be very careful about how they use their power to win the game without creating a war.

Your statement and observation is indeed interesting but I don't want this to turn into a philosophical forum about war and peace. I am just looking for a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmb
Free At Last is about the Civil Rights Movement, and is a free Print N Play game.

Peaceful Resistance is an abstract but comes from the Ghandi's struggles in India.

LA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Sr
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here I Stand???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
Chester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Your statement and observation is indeed interesting but I don't want this to turn into a philosophical forum about war and peace. I am just looking for a game.

Sorry.

I did get off my soap box and look through my entire collection. I didn't find a game that met your criteria. I don't know if that says something about my particular tastes, or games in general. I suspect the latter, but that is more philosophy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.