Subject: I wish to buy this game .... but ..... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rui Silva
Portugal
Arrentela
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read a lot about this game here on BGG, and i must confess i was really interested in spending some time trying to understand the rules, given the fact that i'm not a long time wargamer, (maybe i can't consider myself a wargamer), but for this price??
The lowest i could find for now was 60 euros. and the problem is not an exclusive of this game, not even from GMT.
Can someone explain why this kind of games (hex/counters) are so expensive?
Just to have some comparison, take the example of Agricola. A lot more components, and more expensive ones (i think), and the final price is considerably lower then most of these games.
Just wanted to have some discution around this subject, to learn more about the reasons for this "problem", because, for me (if not for many), this is the main reason i won't buy it (at least in a near future).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I could be wrong but I imagine it's a matter of scale. I don't have numbers but I'm pretty sure Agricola sells significantly more units than Fields of Fire, primarily becuase of its target market.

Any game that's made needs to turn a profit--otherwise, there is no market and future games don't get made. I don't think it's a matter of GMT getting unreasonably greedy at the expense of their core market. I imagine GMT fixed the price based on the development and production costs in combination with the number of units they reasonably expect to sell based on their past experience. I imagine the publishers of Agricola did the same. I don't think it's as simple as "numbers of components" and "expense of components" per game sold.

This has been discussed with many games in many other threads, and invariably there is the "if you don't like the price, don't buy it" chorus and to a smaller degree the "you're right, this is really expensive for what you get" chorus. Just a warning, though: be careful how you phrase your question. I think people tend to see this question (for example, your use of the phrase "problem") as a slight to the designers and publishers and may come to their defense with some curt replies. Keep an open mind about the financial realities of game design and publication, which many of us (myself included) don't know that much about. Hopefully others more knowledgable about the matter can give their (reasonably civil) observations here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Silva
Portugal
Arrentela
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your reply Chris.
Well my english isn't my best quality, if i have any.

When i used the "problem" word, i meant, for me. Problem for me, because i haven't the money to buy games, at least as frequently as i wished.
i also said that, it wasn't just GMT games, but almost all these kind of games. I mencioned GMT, because FOF is theirs, and they are one of the best, if not the best in their business, and made this coment here because this game i really, really wanted to try.

i'm sure there must be a good reason for that, i just wanted to know which one that is. Not trying to say that anybody is greedy, but in times like this, 60 euros, for me, it's a lot.

And to avoid the kind of comments u talked about: Not sure if it's a Lot for what you get, but for this price, i won't buy it.

Just my humble opinion ... and/or problem.
Not meant to disrespect anyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jogadorzeco wrote:
I've read a lot about this game here on BGG, and i must confess i was really interested in spending some time trying to understand the rules, given the fact that i'm not a long time wargamer, (maybe i can't consider myself a wargamer), but for this price??

Another "problem" you're going to have with this game is that you won't be able to really get a feel for the game through the manual. This isn't because the manual is poorly written (though that seems like it might be up for debate) rather because there are so few examples of play currently. I know GMT and crew are fixing this problem as I type, but off the internet, you'll have a tough time deciding whether or not to get this game based on its manual.

You might have an advantage over wargamers because some of these threads of questions are wargamers trying to fit a non-traditional wargame/simulation into their more traditional scheme of the world. And to some extent FoF doesn't fit into generic wargame ideas. So in the famous words of the Jedi Master back before he got all video-gamey, "You must Unlearn what you have Learned" Since you haven't learned, your curve might be shorter...

I don't have much comment on the too expensive for your return. I guess I think of a game as an investment of sorts. I'm investing $$$ towards my own entertainment. As such, I tend to break the cost down to games played versus Dollars spent. Can I get my $$ back out of it in entertainment value. FoF has a metric TON to it that is there to be learned and pondered. I personally put it up somewhere near games like Bonaparte at Marengo in terms of going deep to attain understanding. There's a lot to chew on here, IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Wright
United Kingdom
Nottingham
England
flag msg tools
Hornet Leader - Carrier Air Operations
badge
Herge's Adventures of Tintin!
mbmbmbmbmb
One factor I used to justify buying the game was that it was essentially three games in one with a common set of rules, and solitaire to boot so there's no real excuse for keeping it off the table. But it is a fairly big ticket item, and there looks to be something of a learning curve with the unique system...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.