Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading through the reviews and comments, it appears that KoS is one of the classic modern games. Why do fans (or others) think it is so far down the BGG list; surely if the game is as good as people say it is, then is should be in the Top 100 (or Top 200, at least)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the people that rave about it are just more vocal. I think it is a very good game and should be ranked a bit higher, but I don't know if it is top 100 material.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It only has 621 ratings, so it's 7.02 rating is lowered to 6.67.

7.02 would put it in the Top 200 (176)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
And it is not a modern classic. It is an interesting game with an innovative mechanic, particularly in the partnership version. But it does not have enough to draw me in to put it even remote contention for the title of "modern classic".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Possible reasons:
It's not got as wide distribution as many of the top 100 titles.
It's a short game for the amount of fiddly setup.
Its rules and strategy are confusing to people the first time they play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Possible reasons:
a. It's not got as wide distribution as many of the top 100 titles.
b. It's a short game for the amount of fiddly setup.
c. Its rules and strategy are confusing to people the first time they play.

a. Sure; and it seems to have less "buzz" here on BGG.
b. Funny, I did not get that impression from the rules (but I think the use of the term "fiddly" is way overdone for 95% of Euros - until you've played a hex-and-counter wargame with hundreds of teeny cardboard counters all in different small hexes, you have no idea what fiddly really is).
c. Well, the same can be (and is!) said about RFtG, but that has not stopped it reaching almost cult-like status.

I wonder if its not the theme -> Siam - what the hey?! Now, if this had been a game about say, Mediaeval Factions vying for control of Lands and Knights, maybe (just maybe) this might have been more of a hit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
gamesbook wrote:
b. Funny, I did not get that impression from the rules (but I think the use of the term "fiddly" is way overdone for 95% of Euros - until you've played a hex-and-counter wargame with hundreds of teeny cardboard counters all in different small hexes, you have no idea what fiddly really is).

I agree it's not in the same fiddly league as ASL or something - but then wargames generally have more complex rules and generally take longer to play. Note I mentioned game length - for a game of KOS's length and complexity it's a bit fiddly. For a wargame, of course it's not fiddly. It's context dependent.

Similar complaints are all too frequent against Hey That's My Fish, people complaining that it takes longer to set up than play. (A bogus claim, but whatever, that's the perception, and it obviously has some impact on a game's popularity if people are impatient with the setup time.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peer Sylvester
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the author Im very pleased with the ranking :-)
(and special greeting to Russ and to the Iowan Game group - Wow, if I ever get to Iowa, I will join you for a game :-) )

But the game is expensive in the US and so not many people have it. Its worth in Germany were it completly flew below the radar. It might be that it came out the same time as Agricola or it might be because Friedrich (Histogames other game) is also doing better in the US than in Germany...

And its a thinking game and thats not everybodys cup of tea.

But as I said, Im very happy to have a ranging above 7 :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Peerchen wrote:
As the author Im very pleased with the ranking :-)
(and special greeting to Russ

Hi! Anna and I still tell the story about how we saw you at Essen with a copy of the game and, not knowing who you were, we said "Hey, King of Siam - that's a good game!"

Quote:
But as I said, Im very happy to have a ranging above 7 :-)

Yeah, it's hard to imagine being unhappy at rank 360 out of the tens of thousands of games in the BGG database.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel J
United States
Iowa City
IA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peerchen wrote:
Wow, if I ever get to Iowa, I will join you for a game :-)

Haha. If you ever find yourself in Iowa, you will probably find yourself with all the time in the world to be playing games. There's not all that much to see here...unless you like farms

I saw someone wearing a T-shirt the other day that said "I went to the Iowa State Fair and all I got was type 2 diabetes." That pretty much sums things up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hemsley
Italy
Desio
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand the low rating either. The game sets up fast. It's easy to teach, and the amount of strategy involved for a 40-45 minute game is just intense. After playing, you really feel like you've just played a 2-3 hour intense game. It's quite satisfying for the length of time.

Not to go on, but the strategy itself is constantly evolving and really keeps you on your toes. Once people get good at it, it becomes even more intense and interesting. This game is top notch and should be rated much higher!

Also, Peer, we would love to have you in Iowa. We'd make sure you walked through a cornfield and visited one of the many bars in town! But more importantly, play some awesome games!

--James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
If I want to play El Grande, but I don't have 5, King of Siam fits the bill 100%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
It's not surprising at all. It's a really subtle game, and good in a fucked up way. If I were to rate this game after 3 turns I'd have rated it a 5. After the game I was debating between a 7 and an 8. I settled for a 7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danger Mike
United States
Fenton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fattylumpkin wrote:
Peerchen wrote:
Wow, if I ever get to Iowa, I will join you for a game :-)

Haha. If you ever find yourself in Iowa, you will probably find yourself with all the time in the world to be playing games. There's not all that much to see here...unless you like farms

I saw someone wearing a T-shirt the other day that said "I went to the Iowa State Fair and all I got was type 2 diabetes." That pretty much sums things up.

Hey I spent most of the first 30 years of my life in Iowa, and we had plenty to do. I'd move back in heartbeat if I could find a decent-paying job. There's gaming, and... drinking.... and gaming...

"They'll come to Iowa City... and they'll think it's really boring."
--- Field of Dreams

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesbook wrote:
I wonder if its not the theme -> Siam - what the hey?! Now, if this had been a game about say, Mediaeval Factions vying for control of Lands and Knights, maybe (just maybe) this might have been more of a hit!

Considering the date of this thread, I figured I'd post my reply as a new thread (in case anyone is still subscribed to this one)...

How Siam became Scotland
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.