Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Carcassonne» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Spotting my opponent a lot of points and coming back for the victory rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
I play a lot of Carc on games.asobrain.com. On that site the game is referred to as Toulouse to avoid any copyright infringement. I try to get in one game per day, usually as part of my lunchtime at work. Since I was off today, I decided to play a quick game while Bianca was in the shower.

I usually have a bit of trouble finding opponents because when I play it is without either Inns & Cathedrals or Traders & Builders. I just prefer the base game as I find it to be much tighter with more strategy. I found someone looking for a game so I joined up.

My opponent had the first move and built off the start tile with a city tile. On my next move I drew a road and placed it and a meeple. My opponent then finished his city scoring a quick six points. Just a few turns later, my opponent finished another city scoring 8. Before I knew it, it was 14-0 and I was falling behind quickly. However, I was building one large city which my opponent didn't seem to be worried about. My opponent finished yet another 8 point city and it was 22-0.

About this time, the game turned around. I scored 2 points on a short road and then finished my big city for 16. Just like that, I was in the hunt. I was a bit unsure as to why my opponent didn't try to block me or join in, but he seemed very content on scoring points by himself.

With my opponent having placed the first farmer, I quickly followed up and placed 2. At this same time, I was building another fairly large city. With one piece, I could join in my farmers and take a big step towards completing my big city. It took a few turns, but I eventually drew the piece I needed and had my farmers in majority of a field with 5 cities.

Early in the game, I drew a Church with a road. there are only 2 of these in the base game, so my opponent tried to block one side of it by forcing me to need the other one. Lucky enough, I drew it and scored a quick 18 points.

At this point, the game was basically over. I had locked down several of his meeples so he couldn't score many more points. The big field was secured with my farmers. As we ended the game, I finished 2 more cities which were each worth 6.

I ended up winning by about 30 points. To be honest, I was sure that I was going to lose. Sometimes you get in a game where your opponent draws everything he needs and you just can't win. I was sure thats what I was looking at. However, I got lucky enough to draw a few key tiles. That, combined with my opponent staying out of my way, was enough for me to make a huge comeback and win the game easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Given how frequently you play Carcassonne (nearly every day, you say), I find it remarkable that you prefer only the base game. The only thing I like about the base game is that it goes by fast enough to not matter that it's so random. The tiles available in the base game are so limited in type that you can quite easily create a situation where it is impossible for your opponent to finish a structure. There are just some pieces that don't exist and others which are rare enough that it can really impact your ability to have a chance.

I find that the I&C expansion does a lot to resolve this issue by adding some of those tiles that should have existed in the first place. The modified road/city scoring as a result of the Inns & Cathedrals is nice, but the extra tiles are more significant, IMO. T&B also adds some very nice tiles to the game. The commodity scoring is nice because it helps you take something by completing a city you know your opponent has all but won anyways. The builder and pig etc are nice additions and I always play with them, but I can see an argument that adding too much to the game doesn't necessarily improve it, it just changes it. I DO feel that the extra tiles improve it, though, and so I always play with those two expansions.

I have also added River 2 and The Count as well as King&Scout (longest road/largest city bonus and a few nice new tiles), but I find myself disinterested in using the count at all because it's too time consuming and doesn't improve the game. I don't bother with the king&scout bonuses anymore because they only drag scoring out even longer than it can already be in a large game. I will always use ONE of the rivers, because it seems to help segment the farms a bit to keep us from getting into drawn out farm-wars.

All that said, thanks for the session report! It sounds like your opponent was a bit too disinterested in what you were doing and would certainly have been better off at least feigning some level of interest in your activities to force you to defend a bit more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PenumbraPenguin
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't play Carcassonne quite that often, but I agree with stormseeker. Having no pieces of a certain type, or few, is something to strategise around - if you can create a CCRF hole (two city edges, one road, one farm), then you can rest assured that your opponent will not be finishing that city or road, or joining up farms here. The struggle to trap your opponent's meeples when possible, and avoiding getting your own trapped is one of the more enjoyable parts of the game, in my opinion, and really adds to the possibilities of each tile you draw.

Some other combinations that don't exist, and are useful for blocking: CRFF, CFRF, CFFR, CCFR. Counting the CCCC (1), RRRR (1), FFFR (2), FFFF (4), CRRF (3), CFRR (3) or CRRR (3?) pieces is also helpful.

The expansions are fun for a change of pace, but I don't feel that the base game is at all too light or random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Justin I agree to not agree with basically everything you said, but that being said - man you got a great avatar - she is hot

SS- nice reporting, I am so getting better, and will be looking for that rematch some day!

Edit : I play with I&C only, but if you join in, I will drop that and we play vanilla - no problem there, very cool - Game On'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.