Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spencer Bray
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So while playing my third game of Descent this weekend with buddies from home, we felt like we had finally gotten the hang of the rules enough to make it a fair game, as before I had been completely stomping them while playing as the Overlord. Then came this question - monsters can open doors, (not rune-locked doors, but regular doors), but can they open doors to un-revealed areas?

It seems crazy to let them do this, but I couldn't find anything in the poorly-laid out rulebook that contradicted it. For example, the adventurers are in the first chamber in the first quest. In this first chamber, they have two door choices. If I was to take one of my beastmen, run it away from the heroes and go open both doors, they would be forced to reveal the areas as soon as they had LOS to them, as the doors would not be blocking it anymore...giving me (the overlord) a huge huge advantage for spawning and such.

What's the deal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Finney
United Kingdom
sheffield
S. Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely not...but please don't ask me to say where this is sighted!

Also named monsters can open rune locked doors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Dean
Australia
Earlwood
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Above is correct. It IS in the rules. If I get a moment I will look it up just for geek completion credit...but it is indeed there.

No opening doors to unrevealed rooms...Named monsters can open Rune locked doors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
Doors
Descent: Journeys in the Dark comes with seven normal doors and three runelocked doors. Both heroes and monsters may open and close normal doors, but only heroes may open a rune-locked door, and then only if they’ve already found the proper runekey.

Important: Monsters cannot open any door leading to an unrevealed area.

Monsters can open doors, but not into unrevealed areas, so the ploy as described in the OP is not legal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worth pointing out, though, that (unless I'm dreadfully mistaken), LOS is irrelevant for revealing new areas unless the scenario says otherwise. All that needs to happen is the door to the area be opened. Granted, this will almost always mean the Heroes opened the door with someone standing right there, but there may be situations where it is otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Bray
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
It's worth pointing out, though, that (unless I'm dreadfully mistaken), LOS is irrelevant for revealing new areas unless the scenario says otherwise. All that needs to happen is the door to the area be opened. Granted, this will almost always mean the Heroes opened the door with someone standing right there, but there may be situations where it is otherwise.

You guys rock. I figured there had to be some way to prevent this, or it would occur in every quest. I'm creaming the heroes hard enough as it is without opening doors to unrevealed areas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
It's worth pointing out, though, that (unless I'm dreadfully mistaken), LOS is irrelevant for revealing new areas unless the scenario says otherwise. All that needs to happen is the door to the area be opened.

Then you seem to be dreadfully mistaken. Page 13, under "Exploring":

JitD Rules page 13 wrote:
Whenever a hero has line of sight to a previously unrevealed area of the map, it is immediately revealed by the overlord player.

Doesn't say anything about doors that I can find. And in fact, some areas are separated by stairs instead of doors, so tying the revelation to the door would be kind of odd.

As you noted, since only heroes can open the door, and they need to be adjacent to it to open it, the area will be immediately revealed when the door is opened in every situation that I can think of--unless the area boundary does not coincide with a door at all. But LoS is the specified trigger in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.