Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: questions after first game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
uspec
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
first time played the game today with 3 friends (reading manual was a torture)

why they wrote the manual so bad? is this manual for 12 year olds, so everything have to be repeated 2-3 times whats already logical at first explenation? *grmbl*

k back to Q's...

Solved / Unsolved or another question is raised from it

1) couldnt find start state for the races for amount of start action cards and command counters. In manual at the very beginning it says every one gets race sheets, command counters and so on, but not how many ... race sheets also doesnt say anything about the start amounts of these actioncard's and csontrolcounter's.

So my improvised start was for the start units needed fleet supply cc's and no other cc's and no action cards. is that right?

2) star docks no fleet supply?

3) got this myself ;)

4) does an action card played as an action replace one whole strategic/tactical/transfer-action ?

5) when a public objectiv card got relvealed and someone has this status like "control mecatol rex", does he instantly get this Victory Point and then the card gets dicarded?

6) no public quests get refilled in this stack of 10 cards in the public area?

7) when i have fullfilled my secret objective, do i discard it and get the Victory Points. Anything else? do i get a new secret one?

8) i read another post bout this qustion but i still dont know cause all the answers didnt hit my exact idea of it: 2 player fight on 1 galaxy, its the only activated galaxy, no player have got an already activated galaxy adjacent around it, so noone can retreat/withdraw?

9) is there a max fleet size in one galaxy or moving from one galaxy to another? (i guess not ^^)

10) can i exhaust/use the resources of a planet i landed on in the same round?

11) i cant build a space dock and then build ships with it in the same turn.

12) trade goods are for discarding if i need more resources and for blackmale other players to hope they help me when i pay them?

13) in the strategy action "Trade" it says: a) get 3 trade goods, and then all players can change trade agreements. is it correct that then all players can communicate and trade them (both of them if they want in that one strategic turn) ?

edit 1:

yes galaxy i said wrongly for systems (1 Hex).

14) when i have a PDS being able to shoot into another hex with this long range cannon ability. and an enemyfleet moves from one system (adjacent to my cannon) to another system (adjacent to my cannon), does my PDS shoots them twice for each adjacent system passed/started/ended or just once for its final destination system (activated by the enemy player)?

edit 2:

15) destroyer roll 2 dice precombat to destroy up to 2 fighters. is this done for every single destroyer? (so 3 destroyer roll 6 dice)

16) same as 15 for planet bombardement with multiple dreadnoughts/warsuns, (rolling multiple times as much dice as a single bombardement would)

edit 3:

thx again for all spending their time helping me understanding the game better!

but i have more questions ^^

17) i have to own a planet the from the start of the round, so i im able to build a star dock there. do i also have to own 3 star docks from the beginnng of the round, to be able in the status phase to get the ublic objective "i own 3 star docks"?

18) when a political card gets evaluated with votes of players and their influence of unexhausted planets(and maybe trade goods), then its not that every player have 1 vote so its for example in a 4 player game like 2 votes vs the 2 votes of the other players? its the summized amound of influence from the 2 player voted yes vs the influence summed of the other 2 player voted for no. correct?

18b)so when a player waits with his political strategy action till the other players have exhausted their planets, and still hasnt exhausted all of his, he is in the position to maybe oberinflunce all the other players, cause they together have less influence than him?

thx for the answers!!

cheers uspec =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wessels
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to playing TI-3! I can answer a few these questions quickly so will do so now. I'm sure other folks will also chime in.

uspec wrote:

1) couldnt find start state for the races for amount of start action cards and command counters. In manual at the very beginning it says every one gets race sheets, command counters and so on, but not how many ... race sheets also doesnt say anything about the start amounts of these actioncard's and csontrolcounter's.

In the Setup section of the rules it describes very precisely in part 11 on the top of page 7 exactly how many counters and where they are placed.

What may have been confusing for you is that in part 1 of the Setup section the rules are only saying that each player takes all the race specific pieces for themselves. How they will be used is described in part 11. Also, some races have unique text on their Race Sheet that changes the basic counter distribution at the start of the game.

As far as Action Cards are concerned, you don't start with any. They are mentioned as part of the Status Phase, in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wessels
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
uspec wrote:

4) does an action card played as an action replace one whole strategic/tactical/transfer-action ?

On a player's turn they can chose to play an Action Card as an "action" if the card says so. That would be the action taken on that specific turn.

Quote:

7) when i have fullfilled my secret objective, do i discard it and get the Victory Points. Anything else? do i get a new secret one?

Everyone is given 1 Secret Objective to complete. When it is completed it is scored during the Status Phase. No added Secret Objectives are played by the person in a game.

Quote:

9) is there a max fleet size in one galaxy or moving from one galaxy to another?

Not sure about the use of the word "galaxy" here. The Hex tiles are referred to as "systems". The Fleet Supply limit controls how many of your (capital) ships can rest in any system tile. Note that passing through a system tile on the way to another does not count towards the fleet limit.

Quote:

No.

Quote:

That is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve answered some of these as well, but here's another take on them all.

uspec wrote:

No action cards to start. Normally, you start with 2 Command Counters (CC's) in Strategy Allocation, 3 in Fleet Supply, and 3 in Command Pool. Some races have exceptions to this, like the L1Z1X get an extra Strategy Allocation, and the Mentak get an extra Fleet Supply.

Quote:
So my improvised start was for the start units needed fleet supply cc's and no other cc's and no action cards. is that right?

This would probably get you at least close. Most races have 3 captial ships. L1Z1X actually only has 2. Mentak and Letnev have 4, but they also have increased capacity for such.

Quote:
2) star docks no fleet supply?

Correct, Space docks do not impact fleet supply, either by adding to it, nor by counting against it. Spacedocks, GFs, PDS, and Fighters have no relation to fleet supply.

Quote:

Yes. Each time it's your turn, you can take one action; if you play an Action Card that says "as an action", that is your action for that turn.

Quote:
5) when a public objectiv card got relvealed and someone has this status like "control mecatol rex", does he instantly get this Victory Point and then the card gets dicarded?

Public Objectives are NEVER discarded - all players can qualify for them through the course of the game. No player can "instantly" get the VP for a new objective, though; you have to wait until the status phase to claim objectives. (Exception: With the Bureaucracy card in the expansion, the person who plays it CAN claim an objective).

Quote:

Once a Public Objective is revealed, it remains revealed. Every player can claim them during the game. Many of the objectives will have muliple players claim them during the same round, too.

Quote:

No, once you have claimed your Secret Objective, you do not get another one. The 2 VP is all you get.

Quote:
8) i read another post bout this qustion but i still dont know cause all the answers didnt hit my exact idea of it: 2 player fight on 1 galaxy, its the only activated galaxy, no player have got an already activated galaxy adjacent around it, so noone can retreat/withdraw?

With the base set rules, no. The expansion has a variant rule called "Tactical Retreats" which allows the defender to retreat in this situation by activating the system to retreat to. Take a look at the expansion rules for details. (You don't need the expansion to use that variant).

Quote:
9) is there a max fleet size in one galaxy or moving from one galaxy to another? (i guess not ^^)

You cannot have more ships (not counting fighters) in a system hexagon than your fleet supply allows. IE, if your fleet supply is 3, no system can have more than 3 non-Fighter ships. You can have more than 3 throughout the entire board, just not more than 3 in any given system.

Quote:

No. When you land on a new planet, you get the planet in it's exhausted state. However, if you are able to unexhaust it somehow, such as with the secondary to Diplomacy I, you could use it. (As an aside, the expansion has a new technology called Nanotechnology which allows you to start out with new planets refreshed for use right away).

Quote:

Correct. You cannot build in a space dock during the same round (IE, you will have to wait until the Status phase, and then the next round).

The terms "turn" and "round" are sometimes used in strange ways in the rules, so there are parts of this that can get confusing. A "turn" is technically one action. A "round" is an entire Strategy Phase, Action Phase, and Status Phase.

Quote:
12) trade goods are for discarding if i need more resources and for blackmale other players to hope they help me when i pay them?

Yes. You can also use Trade Goods whenever you would "spend" influence (such as with Logistics), and also for some objectives. Trade Goods are the only thing in the game that you can freely give another player at any time.

Quote:
13) in the strategy action "Trade" it says: a) get 3 trade goods, and then all players can change trade agreements. is it correct that then all players can communicate and trade them (both of them if they want in that one strategic turn) ?

Yes, you can trade both your agreements in the same activation of Trade. You can't trade them both with the same person, of course, but you could give one to Player A, and the other to Player B. (Assuming the Trade Master approves, of course; the person who activated Trade has to approve all trades, except the Hacan who can trade regardless).

Quote:
14: when i have a PDS being able to shoot into another hex with this long range cannon ability. and an enemyfleet moves from one system (adjacent to my cannon) to another system (adjacent to my cannon), does my PDS shoots them twice for each adjacent system passed/started/ended or just once for its final destination system (activated by the enemy player)?

PDS fire only happens at the END of an activation. In the situation you describe, only the ships in the DESTINATION system can be shot at by ANY player. This means if some of the ships from the first system stay there, you cannot shoot at them. You can only shoot the ones in the activated system.

I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:

Quote:
14: when i have a PDS being able to shoot into another hex with this long range cannon ability. and an enemyfleet moves from one system (adjacent to my cannon) to another system (adjacent to my cannon), does my PDS shoots them twice for each adjacent system passed/started/ended or just once for its final destination system (activated by the enemy player)?

PDS fire only happens at the END of an activation. In the situation you describe, only the ships in the DESTINATION system can be shot at by ANY player. This means if some of the ships from the first system stay there, you cannot shoot at them. You can only shoot the ones in the activated system.

Just a quick correction here, on two points.
1. Note that PDS fire is step 3 of the Tactical action, while Movement is step 2. That would naturally mean that PDS fire is resovled after all movement is done.
2. More importantly, PDS can only fire at ships in the system that was activated. It doesn't matter if the ships just got there, or haven't moved at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uspec
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:

Quote:

Public Objectives are NEVER discarded - all players can qualify for them through the course of the game. No player can "instantly" get the VP for a new objective, though; you have to wait until the status phase to claim objectives. (Exception: With the Bureaucracy card in the expansion, the person who plays it CAN claim an objective).

Quote:

Once a Public Objective is revealed, it remains revealed. Every player can claim them during the game. Many of the objectives will have muliple players claim them during the same round, too.

so a card sais "i spend 10 rescources", a player qualifies for it in the following status phase and scores the Victory Point.

is that card sitll available on all following turns for all players, so player could spend like 10 resources every following status phase and players may always get additional VP's?

sigmazero13 wrote:

Quote:

No, once you have claimed your Secret Objective, you do not get another one. The 2 VP is all you get.

my secret objective is fullfilled i reveal it to all and take my victory points.

that card will not be used again in that game?
or do i have to keep it fullfilled till end of the game, so i dont loose these VP's during game?

sigmazero13 wrote:

Quote:

Yes, you can trade both your agreements in the same activation of Trade. You can't trade them both with the same person, of course, but you could give one to Player A, and the other to Player B. (Assuming the Trade Master approves, of course; the person who activated Trade has to approve all trades, except the Hacan who can trade regardless).

k but, do only the active player can trade his 2 agreements with inactive players or does all players are able to trade agreements with each other?

that should be all ^^

and thanks for the answers again, helped me. but what also helped(/will help) is the german version of the manuel.

ps.: edit nr 2 with 2 more questions in the startpost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
azuredarkness wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:

Quote:

Just a quick correction here, on two points.
1. Note that PDS fire is step 3 of the Tactical action, while Movement is step 2. That would naturally mean that PDS fire is resovled after all movement is done.

Yes, I should have been more clear. You are of course correct - I was trying to emphasize the "after all movement" part, but when space battles, etc, are involved, it's not the "END of an activation". I should have said "END of all movement"

Quote:
2. More importantly, PDS can only fire at ships in the system that was activated. It doesn't matter if the ships just got there, or haven't moved at all.

I probably should have been more clear here, too Yes, it doesn't matter if the ships were already there, just came there, or whatever. What matters is you can only shoot at the ships in the Destination system. And if one player moves into another player's system, you can only shoot at the ACTIVE player's ships, not the other player. (The only time you can shoot at a player's ships who isn't the active player is if YOU are the active player)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
uspec wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

so a card sais "i spend 10 rescources", a player qualifies for it in the following status phase and scores the Victory Point.

is that card sitll available on all following turns for all players, so player could spend like 10 resources every following status phase and players may always get additional VP's?

When you claim an objective, you put one of your Control Markers on it (the little tokens that look like flags). A player can't claim an objective that has one of their markers on it. IE - with the exception of a few Political cards, a player cannot claim the same objective more than once. Multiple players can each claim the same objective, but only once each.

Also, this may go without saying, but remember that the Claim Objectives step comes BEFORE the refesh planets step, so that means that you have to have the planets already refreshed at that point (meaning you have to "save" them during the round).

Also, it's worth pointing out you can only claim one Public Objective per turn under normal circumstances.

Quote:
sigmazero13 wrote:

Quote:

my secret objective is fullfilled i reveal it to all and take my victory points.

that card will not be used again in that game?
or do i have to keep it fullfilled till end of the game, so i dont loose these VP's during game?

Once you have it fulfilled, during the Status Phase you reveal it to other players, and keep it revealed. You get the 2 points, and don't have to worry about it any more during the game - you don't have to keep fulfilling it. Once it's claimed, it's yours.

Again, as with PUblic Objectives, you can't claim it until the Status Phase, so in most cases you'll at least have to hold onto whatever the card says to until then.

Don't forget, though: If you reveal your card to the other players, and then discover you don't actually qualify for it, you discard the card WITHOUT getting the points, and you can't get another one. I've never seen this happen, though. Just make sure, during the Status Phase, that if you are going to reveal and claim your objective, you actually have it fulfilled

Quote:
sigmazero13 wrote:

Quote:

k but, do only the active player can trade his 2 agreements with inactive players or does all players are able to trade agreements with each other?

All the players can trade with each other. The "active player", however, does have one advantage: he has to approve all trades made. Thus, if two of the other players want to trade with each other, the active player must say it's OK. If he says no, they cannot trade. (The Hacan, however, can trade without the active player's permission, as one of their racial abilities).

I should point out, though, that the active player should probably have a good reason for saying NO, though - if you don't let anyone trade, it can put a big target on your head for either having your agreements broken by cards or future Trade usage, or being attacked in revenge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
uspec wrote:
15) destroyer roll 2 dice precombat to destroy up to 2 fighters. is this done for every single destroyer? (so 3 destroyer roll 6 dice)

Yes, every destroyer gets to roll 2 dice. 3 Destroyers would roll 6 dice. These precombat shots only affect Fighters, but having a good fleet of destroyers is a nice way to counteract large swarms of Fighters.

The expansion has a new tech called "Automated Defense Turrets", which makes their anti-fighter shots even better, as it gives them an extra die during those shots, AND +2 to the anti-fighter barrage rolls.

Quote:
16) same as 15 for planet bombardement with multiple dreadnoughts/warsuns, (rolling multiple times as much dice as a single bombardement would)

Yes. If multiple Dreadnoughts and/or warsuns bombard the same planet, each Dreadnought rolls 1 die, and war suns roll 3 dice. This can be a nice way to attack highly defended planets. (Note that Dreadnoughts can't bombard if the enemy planet has PDS, though, but War Suns still can).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
17) i have to own a planet the from the start of the round, so i im able to build a star dock there. do i also have to own 3 star docks from the beginnng of the round, to be able in the status phase to get the ublic objective "i own 3 star docks"?

You have to have held the planet since the start of the round to build the Space Dock there but as long as you end the Action Phase with 3 Space Docks in play you will qualify in the Status Phase for the 3 SD Objective.

Quote:
18) when a political card gets evaluated with votes of players and their influence of unexhausted planets(and maybe trade goods), then its not that every player have 1 vote so its for example in a 4 player game like 2 votes vs the 2 votes of the other players? its the summized amound of influence from the 2 player voted yes vs the influence summed of the other 2 player voted for no. correct?

That is correct. The total off all Yes, Votes against the total of all No votes will give you the way total and the answer for how the vote will go on a Yes or No vote. If there is still a tie then the Speaker will decide how the vote goes as the Speaker breaks all ties.

Quote:
18b)so when a player waits with his political strategy action till the other players have exhausted their planets, and still hasnt exhausted all of his, he is in the position to maybe oberinflunce all the other players, cause they together have less influence than him?

This is one strategy to swing a vote the way you want it to go. Remember even if all of another players planets are exhausted they will always have 1 vote. If you have left the majority of your planets unexhausted and have the most influence out of everyone else then you are the deciding vote unless they other players have Action Cards that will change the voting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Tawnos, though I need to point something out on #18.

uspec wrote:
18) when a political card gets evaluated with votes of players and their influence of unexhausted planets(and maybe trade goods)...

Just as a note, Trade Goods have no bearing on an election directly. IE, you can't use Trade Goods to "buy" extra influence. You can only use Trade Goods when you SPEND influence, but during voting, you aren't spending it.

You CAN use Trade Goods to convince another player to vote your way, if you want. And in the expansion there is an Action Card "Bribery" which you can use to "buy" extra votes with Trade Goods, but in most situations, Trade Goods can't be used as votes.

Quote:

This mechanic can often be important in the game. I know a lot of players who try to do what they can to keep their planets refreshed during the round until Political (or Assembly) gets played, to try and have a good number of votes. It then becomes a game of trying to outwit each other - do I exhaust this planet now to build, or wait and try to use it's influence. When Logistics (or Leadership) get played BEFORE Political (or Assembly), it adds another level to it, as you then have to decide if it's worth spending your influence to get CC's, or if you should wait for the vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uspec
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and the only way to pass on a turn, cause he want to wait with exhausting his planets is, with a action turn or with the race ability that one race has.

when u say "pass" at ur turn, ur action round is over and u dont do anything else till status phase. correct ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.