United States
culver city
CA
flag msg tools
Check out my class: https://www.canvas.net/courses/game-design-concepts
badge
How are you today?
mbmbmbmbmb
Would it be possible to make a custom Chicago Express map using the Hacienda game map making program?

http://www.westpark-gamers.de/index.html?/download/haziendag...

Sample work:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That would look like a Wabash map, but it almost certainly would not be as balanced as the Wabash map. Some major considerations are: where is Detroit (since it is a ending condition), location of other cities, any Chicago-like incentives, and starting locations. Best of luck if it works!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChemEng wrote:
That would look like a Wabash map, but it almost certainly would not be as balanced as the Wabash map. Some major considerations are: where is Detroit (since it is a ending condition), location of other cities, any Chicago-like incentives, and starting locations. Best of luck if it works!

The location of the "Detroit" city matters not for ending conditions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
blueatheart wrote:
The location of the "Detroit" city matters not for ending conditions.

It certainly matters wether or not Detroit is on the map as it is a game ending condition. But I'm guessing you are using "location" more like I did in the second item on the list than the first when I didn't even use the word.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChemEng wrote:
It certainly matters wether or not Detroit is on the map as it is a game ending condition. But I'm guessing you are using "location" more like I did in the second item on the list than the first when I didn't even use the word.

I was using location in the proper sense of the word location, not existence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
blueatheart wrote:
I was using location in the proper sense of the word location, not existence.

Which is exactly why I did not use the word 'location' to describe the the mysteriously absent Detroit on this map.

ChemEng wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Nelson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
It would be interesting to read some comments from the developers and play testers of Wabash. I don't know how "balanced" the Wabash/CE map really is, since there is no doubt that there are "key positions" for blocking etc. This would be true for any custom map as well.

I'm only guessing now, but since the CE map depicts the actual look of eastern US, the balance is created not only by the location of the different terrain types, but mainly by using other means - such as building cost and earnings for different hexes, as well as which real cities that have been included and which have been omitted.

As for the discussion of position/existence of Detroit on a custom map, my opinion is that there should be a city with the "Detroit function" as an end condition, but that city does not necessarily have to be named Detroit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnel wrote:
It would be interesting to read some comments from the developers and play testers of Wabash. I don't know how "balanced" the Wabash/CE map really is, since there is no doubt that there are "key positions" for blocking etc. This would be true for any custom map as well.

Have you *looked* at the cube distribution relative to the map? The number of cubes is NOT accidental. One would have to utilize this very thing in any custom-map.

Quote:
but that city does not necessarily have to be named Detroit.

Ya think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Nelson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
blueatheart wrote:
Have you *looked* at the cube distribution relative to the map? The number of cubes is NOT accidental. One would have to utilize this very thing in any custom-map.

Of course. And the exact building cost and company value modifiers for all the different hexes has to be tried out by extensive playtesting of any custom map in order to make it balanced. It's hardly a coincidence why some mountain hexes in CE cost 4 and other 3 to build through, I guess it's not just a result of "Well, in reality there *is* a steeper mountain in this position, so we'll give this hex a cost of 4".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.