BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Game design question: too many parts? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shawn Wilson
United States
California
flag msg tools
My game is in the early stages of creation, so forgive me for being obtuse about the details. I'll make this as clear as I can.

Players in the game have to perform Tasks. The faster they complete the Task (the smaller number of turns that elapse), the more points they get.

Right now, the Task is represented as a horizontal strip (a bar on a bar chart). When the player acquires the Task, he puts it on the display board, so it shows on what Turn he got it, and how many points he gets if he completes it during a particular range of turns.

In this example, if a player completes Task 1 on turn 1 or 2, he gets 200 points, but if he does it on 3-6, he gets only 100 points. Meanwhile, the player who pulled Task 3 did so on turn 4; he gets 150 points if he completes it by turn 7.

There will be a vertical marker which indicates the current turn; someone moves it at the start it every turn. My friend suggested this way of displaying the Tasks, and I like it for its clarity.

Unfortunately, there are other details about the Task that the players need handy. I *might* be able to squeeze this information into the Task strips, but the players find it very convenient for it to be printed on cards that they can keep in front of them. A deck of Task Cards also lets me include random Event cards among them.

But that means that there have to be two decks: Task cards and Task strips. And every time a Task card is drawn, someone has to find the corresponding Task strip and put it on the board.

Can anyone think of a better way to manage this situation? I appreciate your help.

-- Shawn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have one suggestion. Make the task strips as general as possible. Even though you may have x-hundred different tasks, maybe you only need 4 (or 6 or whatever) kinds of task strips. In the picture you shows 4 different task strips. How many do you need? You can easily put 2 or 3 different point values on each strip, by making the corresponding number of rows, as long as the task take the same amount of time. Using both sides of a task strip would also minimize the number of strips used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Grimes
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you decide to put the information on the task strips, your best option might be to create an iconography to simplify things. Also, why not have you task "strips" actually be the cards? This would eliminate the need for two decks, if you can get the "strips" to card appropriate dimensions. A little long isn't really a problem, it's just a little trickier to shuffle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb

When in doubt, leave it out.

Game Design Maxim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wright
United Kingdom
Stockton-on-tees
Teesside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

As suggested put the strip on the card and then when you start a task use a marker to track progress of turns on the track on the card in front of you, no need for a central track. or

Use pairs of tokens, then when you get a task then
player 1 who say is green will place one of his green 'A' tokens on the task card and the other green 'A' token on the turn track indicating when he started/acquired the task. Then the card only need reflect the boundaries for victory points i.e.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken K
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Or perhaps you could eliminate the task deck entirely and use dice to randomly select task strips.

"Events" could be triggered on a special roll, say double sixes. This would also allow you to build in events appropriate to the stage of the game by printing them on the turn column on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What if you had a card chart, kind of like Agricola, where

Before +2 Rounds = 200 points,
Before +4 Rounds = 150 points,
etc.

You could perhaps have a wipe-off board, like in Wits and Wagers, or a pre-printed score pad.

Here's a really rough visual of what I mean:

In this example, I circled the points I received, for achieving my goal at that time (I forgot to put fake rounds that I acquired them in, but I think you get the idea).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hakko504 wrote:
I have one suggestion. Make the task strips as general as possible. Even though you may have x-hundred different tasks, maybe you only need 4 (or 6 or whatever) kinds of task strips.

This is my vote. I really like the task follower thing. If a player can only have one task at a time, then you could have a player marker to set on the generic task bar to show which one belongs to each player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ethier
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I would removed the strips completely. You just need the Task cards and some tokens. Then I see 2 options:

1) When you get the task you put tokens on it according to the maximum number of turn allowed to get points. For example in task 1 you would put 15 tokens on the card. Each turn you remove 1. The card you then say 15-14 tokens = 200 points
13-11 tokens = 100 points
10-6 tokens = 50 points
5 - 1 tokens = 25 points
No tokens = No points
This has the disadvantage of needing a fair amount of tokens depending of the number of tasks going at once.

2) When you get the task you put it in front of you. Each turn you add a token to it. In example 1, the card you then say
1-2 tokens = 200 points
3-5 tokens = 100 points
6-10 tokens = 50 points
11 - 15 tokens = 25 points
More than 15 tokens = No points
This should be less heavy on the amount of tokens needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.