Jan Vater
Germany
Cologne
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gents,

just two quick questions for those in the know:

1. I haven't played any of Avalanche Press' 'Eagles' games, so i'd like to know if the complexity of this game allows the casual gamer to get into it without much ado? And if so, does the system really capture the essentials of warfare in the early 19th century? One module published by AP received quite a share of criticism regarding historical issues (Nappy in the desert?), while Preussisch-Eylau seems a very good game (from what one can read here on BGG).

2. Will there be any upcoming modules for 'Eagles' published by Compass Games? The game sells for quite a steep price overseas (60 Euros = 75 Greenbacks), so if i take the plunge and get hooked, i'd like to know what's coming up next.

Thanks in advance,
Cheers

Jan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dingley
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
Jan,

I will answer question #2. I am one of the owners of Compass Games and the answer here is "Only time will tell". If Spanish Eagles sells well enough to justify another game in the series under our banner, then the answer is we'd love to do so. The period is tremendously colourful and filed with much pomp and pageantry - this game was a treat to work on. So ultimately, more games iin this series is up to the public to decide.

As to question #1, I'm obviously biased so I will let others answer that one. However, for your consideration, the game is still available directly from us at the pre-order price but perhaps the cost of the postage may push it over what you can buy it locally for.

We hope you jump on board, Jan. Let us know how it goes.

Ken at Compass
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Vater
Germany
Cologne
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken,

thanks for your kind words - and they worked, too ;-) I decided to go ahead and bought the game this evening after my local game store owner here in Cologne gave a little discount on it. Haven't red through the rules yet but rest assured, i absolutely don't regret spending my money on it. Gorgeous counters, crisp, clear and very readable, fantastic battle maps, a thorough looking layout throughout the sheets and rulebook - first impressions count and i must say: very nicely done!

Will give the spanish eagles a go on our next gaming night on monday and am tremendously looking forward to it. There still are quite a lot of wargaming fans of the Napoleonic age here in Europe and hopefully the game will find some dedicated followers. Back with first impressions from the gaming table next week!

Vive l'empereur,
Jan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dingley
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
Jan,

We're glad you took the plunge and happy that you're not disappointed based on first impressions. Please do report back on your Eagles experience - we'd love to hear from you.

Thanks for your support.

Ken at Compass
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Radetzkymarsch wrote:
1. I haven't played any of Avalanche Press' 'Eagles' games, so i'd like to know if the complexity of this game allows the casual gamer to get into it without much ado? And if so, does the system really capture the essentials of warfare in the early 19th century? One module published by AP received quite a share of criticism regarding historical issues (Nappy in the desert?), while Preussisch-Eylau seems a very good game (from what one can read here on BGG).

Disclosure - I playtested Spanish Eagles.

To answer your questions.

Yes, a casual (war)gamer can jump right in. A casual (Euro)gamer might find it a bit on the heavy side.

Yes, it (along with Eylau, Borodino and Friedland) does a great job of capturing early 19th century warfare. Napoleon in the Desert was ruined by the publisher, and shouldn't really be considered part of the series. There's a good explanation of the diverging paths the series has taken, and descriptions of the games, in this GeekList http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/13792/item/240514
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Vater
Germany
Cologne
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris,

thanks for putting me in the know. We gave the Albuera battle a go last week and although we didn't come to finish it due to limited time on our hands, my opponent and me were very impressed how it went. As promised, there's an AAR coming up and i'm already looking forward to the next play. Glad i took the plunge!

Cheers,
Jan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.