Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Check out my first published board game: In the Name of Odin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there.
I'm a student at the University of Kent, and I have a module called Writing in the Media. I am to write three short articles as the assesment, and I have decided to write one about BGG as a community. I will be very grateful for any time you can spare me.
http://www.survey.com/cgi-bin/pollxt.pl?poll=PM2U1AR0G8X8

This is a link to a poll I have devised and I'd like you to answer the five questions therein. If you don't find a matching anwser, sorry for that and please choose one that is closest to what you think. The more people join the poll, the better for my research.
Thanks a lot and all the best!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, judging by my answers being 100%, I must be the first respondent! I do think that question three needs the ability to pick three or at least another choice -- something like All of the above equally, as that would be closer to the truth (at least for me.)

While on BGG, what do you mostly do?
Check game entries (including rule clarifications, game sessions, galleries etc.)
Read and create GeekLists
Look for trade offers
Discuss board game related topics with other users
Discuss non-board game related topics with other users
Edit your profile (add new games in your collection, add plays, comments, modify your Hot 10 list etc.)

Please post your results and/or a link to your articles when completed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Done. Good luck with the survey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
earache wrote:
Well, judging by my answers being 100%, I must be the first respondent!

Not necessarily. My answer to the first question is identical to everybody elses, so that gives me 100% as well (and "0" to all other possible answers), but the answers to the other questions are more varied.

So all you can deduct is that you gave the same answers as everybody else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
Not necessarily. My answer to the first question is identical to everybody elses, so that gives me 100% as well (and "0" to all other possible answers), but the answers to the other questions are more varied.

So all you can deduct is that you gave the same answers as everybody else.

True, but I can dream, can't I?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Atomic batteries to power! Turbines to speed!
mbmbmbmbmb
Done. Hope it helps. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hunt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord_Kristof wrote:
Hi there.
I'm a student at the University of Kent, and I have a module called Writing in the Media. I am to write three short articles as the assesment, and I have decided to write one about BGG as a community. I will be very grateful for any time you can spare me.
http://www.survey.com/cgi-bin/pollxt.pl?poll=PM2U1AR0G8X8

This is a link to a poll I have devised and I'd like you to answer the five questions therein. If you don't find a matching anwser, sorry for that and please choose one that is closest to what you think. The more people join the poll, the better for my research.
Thanks a lot and all the best!

Only five questions?

Surely there are more things you could ask. The Boardgamegeek 'community' is much richer than most community-type sites. I'd be interested in more aspects of what makes it 'sticky'. The obvious subject alongside 'thumbs' is 'geek gold', and whether it motivates people to create content, and if not, what does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
earache wrote:

Please post your results and/or a link to your articles when completed.

Forgot to mention it, but sure I'll post the short article on BGG when I finish it. Also the results, probably.

thelawnet wrote:

Only five questions?

Well, to be honest - that's the limit that the site where I set up a survey allows. And the five questions I posted should be enough for me to comment on. Mind you, the article is going to be only 1000 words in lenght, and I'm planning on adding some other things - not only analising the results of the survey.

If any of you wish to comment more on the question of is BGG a community, and to what extent, please post some of your thoughts. I'd love to quote some of the users as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your question about how often people log in will get a really biased response: the people who log in a lot are more likely to read your post and thus respond to the poll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1000rpm wrote:
I think your question about how often people log in will get a really biased response: the people who log in a lot are more likely to read your post and thus respond to the poll.

Ha, haven't thought of that. Yeah, it might be true, but I do have a hunch that most people at BGG log in quite often any way. Besides - a high percentage of "every day log-inners" serves just fine as well. But thanks for the comment, I'll bear that in mind next time I prepare a poll like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord_Kristof wrote:
1000rpm wrote:

Ha, haven't thought of that. Yeah, it might be true, but I do have a hunch that most people at BGG log in quite often any way. Besides - a high percentage of "every day log-inners" serves just fine as well. But thanks for the comment, I'll bear that in mind next time I prepare a poll like this.

You might want to check out this geeklist which shows a lot of polls that have been done on BGG, some of which ask the kind of questions you have been asking:
The Typical Boardgame Geek: Lots of POLLs
And maybe you could do your future polls on BGG - there is no 5 question limit and people are probably more likely to answer the poll than if they have to go to an external site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info, I'll definitely check this out next time I need it. And why not have a look now, maybe there is something there that'll add to my research

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just started to write the article, so here are the poll results I got.

What do you consider to be the most important feature of BGG?

Getting to know new people

0%

Learning about board games

88%

Being able to trade games with other users

0%

Sharing your thoughts with others (also: pictures, stories etc.)

10%

The fun aspect of it (funny GeekLists, making board games related jokes)

2%

How often do you visit BGG (not necessarily logging in)?

Several times during a day

81%

Once a day

13%

Once in two, three days

2%

Two times a week

2%

Once a week

0%

Less often

1%

While on BGG, what do you mostly do?

Check game entries (including rule clarifications, game sessions, galleries etc.)

61%

Read and create GeekLists

10%

Look for trade offers

0%

Discuss board game related topics with other users

21%

Discuss non-board game related topics with other users

3%

Edit your profile (add new games in your collection, add plays, comments, modify your Hot 10 list etc.)

4%

How strong, would you say, BGG is as a community?

Very Strong - I feel like among friends here

19%

Strong - generally, BGG is governed by friendly contacts

61%

Not very strong - it's as every other internet community: contact is limited

17%

Weak - it isn't a good place to make friends, but generally you can expect some help

3%

Very Weak - I keep to myself and rather not make a lot of contact with other users

0%

How generous are you with distributing your Thumbs Up?

Very Generous - I thumb everything I read

1%

Generous - I thumb everything I like, even if I don't agree with it

42%

Not very generous - I thumb only the things I really like or agree with

48%

Not generous at all - I rarely find something worth Thumbing Up

9%

I got 90 answers total, which is not much, but still it does give some insight.
I'll post the article on BGG when it's ready, which is going to be probably early April. I'll know what people marking it thought about it in May, I'd guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.