Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Welch
England
Milton Keynes
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have several rugby board games, but have always been looking for one that captured the speed and excitement of an actual match, and that I could play with my son (now 8).

Between the Posts simulates a match, but is not fun to play as a game. Crash Tackle Rugby Board Game is a fantastic rugby game, but a little too in depth for family play - and a fair amount of downtime as you wait for your opponent to move all 15 of his players before you get to move again (always assuming you can remember which players you have actually moved). TRY Time is just a "build a team" game, and World Cup Rugby just has you rolling a pair of dice to generate a result.

The "Rugby Addicts Boardgame" though, steps into the void ... a rugby match that is relatively simple, and fun to play.

It is similar to Crash tackle in that it simulates a match, and every player is on the pitch (although it's a little crowded and actually more fun with 10 a side) - but it is much simpler and quicker to play.

2 dice are used, a normal blue d6 to generate a number of actions a player can do that turn (e.g move any player(s) a square, pass, gather, kick etc), plus a red d10 with numbers 0-5 which is used for moving players one zone (the large dark / light green 3x3 squares) to enable players to move around quicker. This means you aren't waiting for you opponent to move all 15 players before its your turn again, but the red die still means enough players move about to make it feel like rugby.

On your turn you can run, pass, kick and tackle using the roll of the blue die - plus additional moves if you have made a pass depending on the number on the shirt of the player who ends up with the ball (these are NOT the same as usual shirt numbers, and just range from 1 to 5). Playing with just 10 aside allows you to handicap one player by removing the higher number shirts from their team, which is a nice option. After using the roll of the blue die and any bonus moves, you can then move players according to the red die roll, when any player (other than the one with the ball) can move to any square either in the zone they are currently in, or one of the zones adjacent to their current zone.

The board is huge, with 2 pairs of plastic posts to slot into the board. The box also comes with 6 teams (the 6 nations) of cardboard players which are folded and placed into the 15 black and white bases to also add to the impressive look of the game. Finally a small ball sits nicely into the base of the ball carrier ... although less nicely rolls about when the ball is loose on the pitch!

One of the more gimmicky items included is a small bent piece of plastic used for kicks at goal. Whilst this makes use of the physical posts, it quickly becomes tiresome and loses it's appeal (although my son would probably disagree) - and I've posted an alternative dice based kicking method instead.

My original problem with the game was that the rules were only provided on a DVD and as such couldn't quickly be checked while playing - but they have recently released a pdf file with the rules which helps a lot, although it still misses a few rules (like the short kicks, and 22m dropout). The basic rules allow you to get playing quickly, and there are rules for kicking, rucks, lineouts, scrums and sidesteps (amongst others) that can be added once familiar with the game.

If you are a serious gamer, and/or a serious rugby fan, I would recommend Crash Tackle Rugby Board Game.
If however you are a rugby fan willing to overlook a few rules tweaks for playability sakes (e.g scrums!), and looking for a quick playing and fun rugby match - then I would recommend this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance of posting some pics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review - any idea where i can get this game? The link on the game page is not working.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cedric Nicolas
France
Ville-la-grand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried Kahmaté ?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/35305

It is a quick and fun game where you feel like playing rugby without the pain and bruises.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Welch
England
Milton Keynes
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked it up off ebay to be honest - and I just noticed the website link was no longer working.

It's listed here though:
http://www.pure-rugby.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&p...
and
http://www.herbeysnews.co.uk/grens-rugby-addicts-board-game....

I'll get some pics to put up tonight - amazed anyone noticed this review so quickly - I've been meaning to write one for ages!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Welch
England
Milton Keynes
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cedric2 wrote:
Have you tried Kahmaté ?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/35305

It is a quick and fun game where you feel like playing rugby without the pain and bruises.

Cheers - hadn't seen that one - will try and track it down!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Timw wrote:
I picked it up off ebay to be honest - and I just noticed the website link was no longer working.

It's listed here though:
http://www.pure-rugby.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&p...
and
http://www.herbeysnews.co.uk/grens-rugby-addicts-board-game....

I'll get some pics to put up tonight - amazed anyone noticed this review so quickly - I've been meaning to write one for ages!

Thanks - ordered it from pure-rugby which is the cheapest option of the two. Lets see if i can actually win a game with England.....

and tryingto find Kahmate as well....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Welch
England
Milton Keynes
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See if you can manage to keep all 15 England players on the pitch for an entire half to start with ... that might help!!

Kahmate looks neat - although we're screwed with the exchange rate at the moment with the pound being worth about half a plastic button, let alone anything worthwhile. Wonder if we can talk ShireGames or someone to import a load into the UK like they did with Crash Tackle ... I know Nick frequents this site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pure-Rugby are out of stock

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mousey
Netherlands
Je suis Paris
flag msg tools
ESSEN The Game: SPIEL '13 Featuring Jonah
badge
RIP Jonah Lomu 1975-2015
mbmbmbmbmb
Timw wrote:
- amazed anyone noticed this review so quickly -

This was the first thing I noticed on the front page... I know there were other words there, but I just noticed the word Rugby.

Did you realy expect us not to notice a review about a rugby game ?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Welch
England
Milton Keynes
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
domus_ludorum wrote:
Any chance of posting some pics?

Didn't get chance to get pics yesterday but I did find this promo video that was released which gives you an idea of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darryl jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
The game can be purchased at
1. www.grencartoons.com
2. The Welsh rugby union shop millenium stdium Cardiff
3. Pure Rugby shop cardiff

or the manufacturers are Games Addicts Ltd 02920 498111

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davin Igor
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to purchase Kahmate in England, look at the map on the web site :
http://www.kahmate.com/en/purchase/store-rugby-kahmate.html

And, if you're not from England, for Christmas Kahmate is free shipping and will be sent anywhere you want...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Baglin
Wales
Flintshire
UK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rugby Addicts is currently £1.99 at home bargains in Rhyl and presumably also nationwide. That's not a typo. £1.99 woo-hoo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimiliano Occhipinti
Italy
CHIAVARI (GE)
flag msg tools
mbmb
Great review! Thank you!
I have the game on my shelf but never played it - I will give it a deep try.

I have not seen any reference to how timing the game - any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Welch
England
Milton Keynes
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I remember, I used to play 20 minutes per half, but not sure where I read or heard that (maybe on the DVD!), or if I just made it up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.