Subject: review of the Neighbours Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom anonymous
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mb
well, since no-one else has posted here I'll do a short review.. It's my first, but there's not much to this game

The Gameplay

Each player gets six cards at the start of the game. During each turn a player has the opportunity to play up to six cards onto the board, to create a story line for neighbours. At the end of the turn, new cards are drawn to replace those played. If a player is unable to play, either becuase they don't have a story line card of the correct colour, or becuase none of the story or character cards can continue the story (it needs to make grammatical sense, but that doesn't stop long list clauses needing to be ended with a line starting with "and..."), then their turn is over.

The cards are split into different types:
Character and Extra Cards - Character cards are worth 2 points, extras 1. These can be played on any square, and a character card must be used to start a scene.
Storyline cards - in 3 colours (green/blue/pink), which can only be played on the appropriate colour on the board, or on wild card squares.

There are three scenes to a game.

the game itself
Is not difficult, and the enjoyment comes in creating storylines such as "Mrs Mangel / Goes Skinny dipping with / Bouncer the Dog / And denies it ever happened". As long as you know the characters involved and have a simple sense of humour then this game is alot of fun.
For some reason, repeated play does not reduce the amusement of having mrs mangel, or helen daniels, going skinny dipping with bouncer the dog. Nor does arranging gay marriages between Harold Bishop and Jim Robinson, or any of the other things the storyline cards let you do.

Each game takes probably 20 minutes.. we tend to write a weeks worth of episodes in one "game" and ignore the points scoring (there aren't enough chits to keep for 5 games).

In case you think that's not exciting enough, there are also "wild" spaces, where you pick up a wild card (event cards really) which can be worth victory points, can end your turn and can even force you to remove the cards you have played.

dice
There are no dice included with this game. The instructions specify this, which I find almost as amusing as seeing a manual for a very early video effects unit (a fairlight CVI if anyone here is interested) - late 70s/early 80s, which in the manual (ring bound folder), it actually specified what a manual is! (iirc: the first page had some glossary.. manual is this book, which contains the instructions for using the CVI).

I rated this a 7, on the basis that I have always enjoyed playing it, and would not object to it's appearance on my gaming table.. it should be regarded as a party game though I think, it certainly isn't serious and can happily be played with large groups.
Played with the wrong people this would be awful, you definately need to know the characters or none of the strange story lines will work.
I wouldn't pay good money for it, but if I saw it in a charity shop I'd definately consider it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Allen
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This games needs more representation, nice job.

Yes, it's a light party game. BUT, I actually think it's very good for a 1980s TV tie-in. I stole it from my mum when I moved out of home and still enjoy it from time to time. I grew up with Neighbours (I vividly remember Scott and Charlene's wedding down to the song that played!) and this is a lovely retro game.

Recommended with a group of 30-somethings who know the characters, and a pack of beers. Not recommended for your serious games club. Also not recommended with a rules lawyer present as "a card can be played if it makes grammatical sense" gets bent. A lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim C
United Kingdom
Tonbridge
Kent
flag msg tools
Rails, what rails?
badge
To boldly go where no meeple has gone before...
mbmbmbmbmb
sarah_elton wrote:
Also not recommended with a rules lawyer present as "a card can be played if it makes grammatical sense" gets bent. A lot.

You say that like it's a bad thing devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Allen
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dodgy English makes the game fun, as do light-hearted arguments about it. So long as you're not playing with someone who'll take it too seriously. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoggle 84
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi, could anyone please share a copy of the rules for this game with me?

My partner had this game as a child and recently rediscovered it in the attic albeit without the rules.

He's been dying to play it and I was hoping to be able to give him a copy of the rules for Christmas.

If anyone is able to help with this, it really would make his day!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.