Subject: Japanese in melee rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
e l
United States
detroit
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Outside of the obvious statistical advantages the Japanese have in melee, their advantages go way beyond that.

Since melee is only resolved at the start of the Allied player’s turn, the Japanese player can always choose to advance or simply move out of the melee hex when they are not in the most favorable position (assuming they have the cards). They also have the chance to dump their hand to look for helpful actions in anticipation of the upcoming melee.

As the aggressor, they know that the Allies player will have to fight with what they already have while they can fish for helpful actions via RECONNOITER for example.

Sure there will be times when the Japanese are caught flatfooted but it is safe to say that the Allies and Commonwealth players need to map out their melees carefully – even as the aggressor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all true! Japanese are just deadly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to mention that the Japanese have more Ambush and Bayonet cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And you didn't even mention the Caves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
And you didn't even mention the Caves.

Yes...remember your failure at the cave! (Yoda)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the scrub
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had a LOT of instances where I Advanced into Melee as JPN and emptied my hand by the end of turn -- drawing back Ambushes and Bayonets and pummeling the opponent. If there is one drawback, it's that if you drain your hand at the start of the US/UK turn you may have nothing to prevent him from doing whatever they want in their turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
scrub wrote:
I have had a LOT of instances where I Advanced into Melee as JPN and emptied my hand by the end of turn -- drawing back Ambushes and Bayonets and pummeling the opponent. If there is one drawback, it's that if you drain your hand at the start of the US/UK turn you may have nothing to prevent him from doing whatever they want in their turn.

I've noticed that too... as the Japanese you can happily pummel something, and then sit helpless as you have no opportunity fire!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.