Subject: Removing plants before game starts - replace in step III? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Dickerson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
When playing a two or three player game, the rules state to randomly remove 8 plants before the start of the game. Are these plants shuffled back in when Step III starts, or left out for the entire game?

My logical thinking is that they should be shuffled back in to avoid acidentally removing plants 43-50 which would really throw off the game balance, but I couldn't find a clear answer in either the rules I have or the FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mcd1901 wrote:
When playing a two or three player game, the rules state to randomly remove 8 plants before the start of the game. Are these plants shuffled back in when Step III starts, or left out for the entire game?

My logical thinking is that they should be shuffled back in to avoid acidentally removing plants 43-50 which would really throw off the game balance, but I couldn't find a clear answer in either the rules I have or the FAQ.

They are removed from the game.

Game balance would not be affected - everyone has a fair shot at the auctions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Valentine
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
No, they are left out. The key is to watch the futures marked for the 40+ plants. You will see all plants in the remaining deck as you play until you reach Step 3.

If you know the full deck, you'll be able to recognize which ones are missing and which ones are there as you replace the highest plant each round on your way to Step 3. If the 46 plant is never seen and the Step 3 card comes out...then you know the 46 was discarded, don't plan on buying it to help you increase your capacity.

The purpose of reshuffling the deck is to equalize the end game a bit against those who have a photographic memory (card counters) who will be able to memorize the order of cards after the Step 3 card comes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim
United States
hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding them back in would really throw off the balance if they were low plants. Removing random plants is another factor in keeping the game different each time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Defevers
United States
Fort Thomas
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have nothing to add. I am just posting to mention that I read the word "plants" as "pants" when I saw this thread on the front page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Shaw
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, clearly, when playing a two player game with a member of your chosen sex, you should always remove your pants before playing any game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.