13 Posts

Puerto Rico» Forums » Rules

Subject: Help solve the dispute over the Mayor end game rule rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Matt
Canada
flag msg tools
I have played Puerto Rico only a few times with the same 3 people. We have had this issue come up twice so far:

One of us empties the supply of colonists and we do not have enough to put one colonist on the ship for all of the empty building spaces. However, we do have enough to meet the minimum requirement for the number of players. The rules are unclear whether or not the game should end at that point (if we only have 6 colonist in the supply when there are really 7 empty building spaces), or only after the colonist ship is emptied after the next person picks the mayor role.

Please give me your feedback, since most of you have probably had this arise in your own game play.

THANKS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Game ends. You are charged with reloading the colonist ship based on the number of empty building spots, with a minimum being the player count. You cannot do so. Game ends at the end of the round.

No special rules for refilling in the event that the colonist pool is empty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course if a player doesn't want the game to end, they can sometimes place their colonists in such a way to continue the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d lemaster
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
dkeisen wrote:
Game ends. You are charged with reloading the colonist ship based on the number of empty building spots, with a minimum being the player count. You cannot do so. Game ends at the end of the round.

No special rules for refilling in the event that the colonist pool is empty.

Yep.
When there aren't enough colonists to fill the ship as required the game ends at the end of the round. Don't forget the "end of the round" bit. We got carried away the first few times we played and just stopped as soon as one of the end game conditions were met.

--ds

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the game end on the Settler phase with a hopsice? If there is only one settler left in the pool and there are two hospices in use?

Thanks,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günter Immeyer
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the game can never end in the Settler phase. If there are not enough colonists (I assume that's what you mean by "settler left in the pool"), you may take one off the colonist ship (to apply your hospice bonus). If there is no colonist on the ship anymore either, you simply don't get new personell for your plantation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Matt
Canada
flag msg tools
That is a good qualifier, but I think both times the Mayor role has been picked at the end of the round.

Thanks for the response everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
The only time colonists go to San Juan is when there are no circles left open. If there's a circle open, the colonist fills it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Galer
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kihu wrote:

In a similar vein. I suppose then that it would be okay though to move colonists from buildings to plantations or quarries to create more open spaces on buildings for the purpose of emptying the colonist supply?

absolutely!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Yup, you can move them back and forth between the buildings and the plantations to try and manipulate the endgame. More often we've filled buildings to stop the game from ending (at the end the plantations are usually filled), but if you for some reason had plantation spots empty you could move them there.

We've had a question about timing on it (if one person wants the game to end and another doesn't), but we just played that you had to declare that you were done in turn order. That's just us, I don't know what the official rule would be if there was a one-colonist difference, two players had both a plantation space open and a building space open and one wanted game end while the other didn't...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Galer
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jsciv wrote:

We've had a question about timing on it (if one person wants the game to end and another doesn't), but we just played that you had to declare that you were done in turn order. That's just us, I don't know what the official rule would be if there was a one-colonist difference, two players had both a plantation space open and a building space open and one wanted game end while the other didn't...

dont have the rule book handy, but I'm fairly positive that all actions should be done in turn order. We generally play fast and lose with the shuffling of colonists also, but when it matters, turn order should be followed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.