Popular Tags: [View All]
quiet, not much content
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't hurt me please.

Last year my friend tells me her nine year old is going to get an ipod. I'm thinking touch, since that is what I have and I carefully wondered if that was a good idea. I also don't like kids having earphonees in all the time.

So. My daughter, now 10 has saved birthday and Christmas money (mostly grandpa) for an ipod Nano. Ok, well we'll have rules about the volume. Then my husband shows me that our local grocery store has quite a good deal with "points" to get the touch. On research, a slightly less better deal as I believe it to be the first model, but still a good deal. So on his suggestion we're letting her "buy" the touch for the cost of the nano. I'm still having some doubts about the whole thing I think, but I won't turn around on her now.

Being the loving generous mommy that I am, I did tell her that if it turned out it was the new model, she could have my ipod and I would take the new one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should lock the volume on her iPod (whichever model she winds up with) and set the code so that only you know it. That should save her some hearing loss!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Er...that's lock the MAX volume. Not just lock it to one volume. That would be irritating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quiet, not much content
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rdonato926 wrote:
You should lock the volume on her iPod (whichever model she winds up with) and set the code so that only you know it. That should save her some hearing loss!

Yes, I checked to make sure I could do that, and also have control over her internet access on the touch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deborahjeanne wrote:
rdonato926 wrote:

Yes, I checked to make sure I could do that, and also have control over her internet access on the touch.

Perfect. Now if you can just get her to listen to good music, everything is perfect!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, if you lock the maximum volume, don't you figure she'll crank it up as loud as possible the first chance she gets down the road? Headphones have been around for 20 years..., seems like it used to be enough just to warn kids about hearing loss.

At any rate, don't mind me. Just remembering what it's like to be a stubborn kid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I've heard that there's a big difference between headphones and earbuds and how they affect your hearing down the line, but I'm too lazy and disinterested right now to go find something to confirm it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids picked up MP3 players at Toys R Us for $30. 1Gig.

That way, if they lose them, no biggie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
The Touch is a lot easier to break than the Nano. Also, it adds the ability to use a teeny weeny web browser over wireless, which is not a device I would leave in the hand of my daughter.

The Nano idea was really great though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think ear buds do make a huge difference.

I recently bought some new earbuds for my son since his were trashed. (Poor thing was using a splitter and two headsets that had one dead side.... it was pretty amusing to see)

ANYWAY.... I didn't realize that I was buying sound-canceling earbuds and I don't like them one bit. He can't hear anything else when he has them on. He likes to wear them when outside, etc.

I need to get yet another set for him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quiet, not much content
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just picked up the ipod and it is the new model. I am shocked. I work out the value of points by seeing how much I could get in gas cards for the same number of points (sometimes we buy the gas cards and then use the money saved on gas to buy the item in a store). Anyways it is $165 value of gas cards for a new ipod touch 8g. They retail for $259 up here.

So now I'm struggling with whether to give her mine, or this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quiet, not much content
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course maybe I could tell her she can have it if she can figure out how to get the box open. angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christychan
United States
Somerville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have kids, but I did once have 2 new I-pods as gifts, so I ebayed one. When the guy paid me, he said his 6 year old daughter would be sooo happy to get this for her birthday! I was thinking 6 year old?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quiet, not much content
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of our great-nieces had an mp3 player when she turned 7. I'm not crazy about the idea.

Part of the reason I like the new one for her is that it has an external speaker. She doesn't have to have the headphones in all the time.

I did finally get the box open (why they put a pull tab on the sticker at one end and not the other I'll never know. Only took me another 5 minutes to realize I had to pull the screen sticker off to get it out of the box.

I drive my husband nuts by leaving protective films on things that come with them - I think he's been talking to apple - this one is opaque, you have to take it off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.