Subject: The Great Space Race - Sign Up Thread (1/7) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
The Great Space Race

Concept
The concept of The Great Space Race is simple. Each participant will build a ship, and then pilot that ship through an obstacle course as designed by the Mods. Pilots will have to contend with possible attacks from both opposing ships, and possible obstacles that might occur during the course. Additionally, each round, various challenges will be offered to the pilots. The winner of that days challenge will receive a benefit, either in the form of bonus points to their ship, special equipment, or a special surprise.

The Course
A predetermined course will be presented to the pilots. The length of the course will be announced at the start of the race. Pilots will not be informed of upcoming obstacles, unless those obstacles are within scanning distance of their ship. Obstacles will be sprinkles though out the course at predetermined locations. Opponents will be required to pass though said obstacles to continue on the course. Pilot will not be allowed to deter around the obstacles at this would result in them leaving the course and being disqualified from the Race.

Some examples of obstacles that might occur in the match are listed below. Multiple obstacles of the same type may occur during the course.
Black Hole: Black Holes are enormous special events. A Black Hole will pull any object within its gravitational pull towards it’s center. Any ship caught within the gravitational pull will be required to exert additional engine power to avoid being pulled into the center. Any ship that is pulled into the center of a Black Hole will be crushed, and its pilot immediately disqualified from the Race.
Nebulas: Nebulas are gaseous clouds located within space. Each nebula can affect various ships systems differently, resulting in the loss of power to any system, and possibly multiple systems.
Asteroids: Asteroid Belts are large areas of space littered with rocks of various sizes.
Mine Field: Mine fields are large areas of space littered with mines of various sized. See the Mine section in Ship Building for information on the possible types of mines.

Challenges
Challenges will be issued each round. Challenges can come in the form of puzzles, quizzes, logic puzzles, or any other form that the mods decide. Each pilot will be allowed to solve the puzzle. Puzzles will be posted at the beginning of each round, and the first pilot to solve the puzzle by posting the correct answers or response in the thread will be awarded the prize. Prizes may or may not be announced before hand.

Dusk and Dawn
Dusk will occur at 9:00pm. All ship orders are required to be entered by Dusk by each pilot. Any order not entered by Dusk will result in that pilot not activating their ship. All systems to be activated must be given an order by the pilot.

Results of the orders will be posted at 11:00pm.

Dawn will occur at 9:30am. That days challenge will be posted at this time, and new orders will be accepted.

Crews
A ship can have 1 or 2 crew members. Any crew member can commit any order for a ship, and attempt to solve that days puzzle for the ship. The last order submitted by a crew member will be considered the valid order. For each crew member aboard a ship, 1 point of life support must be activated.

Initiative
Initiative will be determined by ship order. The lead ship will act first, followed by the second ship, and so on. The initial ship starting order will be determined at random.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Great Space Race - Sign Up Thread (0/7)
Ship Building
Each player will have 90 points in which they will construct their vessel. Points may be distributed into the categories listed below. Players may choose to use less than their total allotment of points, if they wish. Ships that have used less than their total allotment of points will be smaller, and will have a better chance of avoiding damage from various obstacles in the course. To overload a ship system, that system must initially be included when the ship is built. Ships can be resubmitted until the final deadline.

Required
The following selections are required on all ships. The minimum amount of points required to be spent on each section is listed.

Hull (5 Points Minimum): The hull is the body of the ship. Each point spend on the hull increases the thickness of the armor, and makes the ship more durable to the rigors of space travel. If the Hull Rating ever reaches Zero (0), the ship has fallen apart, and the Pilot is unable to continue.

Power Generator (10 Points Minimum): The Power Generator is used to power the various ship systems. Each system that requires power is indicated in green. The maximum amount of power a ship can generate is indicated by its Power Generator. A ship may also have multiple power generators of any value. Each generator beyond the first will result in a loss of 1 point of generation per generation used that round. Multiple generators will be useful in the event that a generator is damaged, and unable to function. Each power generators can be overloaded to generate up to 10 points of additional energy beyond their initial rating. For each point above the rating there is a 10% chance of the power supply exploding, resulting in the loss of that power generator for the ship. A ship that has no power and that cannot be repaired will be unable to continue, and will be removed from the game.

Engines (1 Point Minimum): Engines determine how many points of thrust a ship have. Each point spent on engines is one point of thrust for the ship. One point of power must be supplied to the engines each round to activate one point of thrust. Engines may be overloaded to generate 10 points of additional thrust beyond their initial rating. For each point above the rating there is a 10% chance of the engines exploding, resulting in the loss of thrust for the ship. A ship that is unable to move, and that cannot be repaired will be unable to continue and will be removed from the game.

Sensors (1 Point Minimum): Each point spent on sensors is one point of scanning power for the ship. That scanning power can be used in one of three ways. The first option is to scan the course ahead, allowing the pilot to be aware of upcoming obstacles. The second option is for targeting other ships for offensive actions. The third option is to avoid dangers within the ships current area. A maximum of 10 points can be spent on each of these options. For each point added to one option, the chance of success increases by 10%. Sensors may be overloaded to generate 10 points of additional scanning power beyond their initial rating. For each point above the rating there is a 10% chance of the sensors exploding, resulting in the loss of scanning for the ship. A ship without sensors can still fly, but will be unable to avoid any possible danger to the ship.

Life Supports (1 Point Minimum): Life Support is needed to keep the crew of the ship alive. Only one point of Life Support is required per crew member per round. If a ship is unable to supply life support to its pilot during a round, will be unable to continue and will be removed from the game.

Optional
The following selections are optional for all ships. The player may choose which, if any, they will want to include on their ships.

Energy Weapons: Energy Weapons are a ship’s main offensive tools. Energy Weapons are useful in both attacking opposing ships, and clearing out obstacles that may occur in various parts of the course. Each ship can be equipped with multiple energy weapons. Each energy weapon can target a separate ship or obstacle. Each point of distance to the target will result in the loss of 1 point of power for each energy blast. When purchasing energy weapons, the pilot must indicate if the weapon is facing toward the fore or aft of the ship. Weapons may be overloaded to generate 10 points of additional weapons power beyond their initial rating. For each point above the rating there is a 10% chance of the Weapon exploding, resulting in possible damage to the ship. No energy weapons are required on the ship.

Missiles: Missiles are a ship’s most powerful offensive tools. Missiles are useful in both attacking opposing ships, and clearing out obstacles that may occur in various parts of the course. Missiles can be fired in any direction from the ship. Each missile purchased is one missile that the ship is armed with. It requires 2 point of power to launch each missile. Missiles come in 3 types:
1 Point Missile: A 1 Point Missile has a maximum range of 50 distance, and a speed of 15 points. Upon detonation, this missile will explode for 7 points of damage to everything within 7 range of the missile.
2 Point Missile: A 1 Point Missile has a maximum range of 75 distance, and a speed of 20 points. Upon detonation, this missile will explode for 14 points of damage to everything within 9 range of the missile.
3 Point Missile: A 1 Point Missile has a maximum range of 100 distance, and a speed of 25 points. Upon detonation, this missile will explode for 21 points of damage to everything within 14 range of the missile.

Mines: Mines are a ship’s least powerful offensive tools. Missiles are useful in both setting traps for trailing ships. Mines can only be released at by a ship as they travel the course and will remain stationary until they are triggered. Each mine purchased is one mine that the ship is armed with. It requires 1 point of power to launch each mine. Mines come in 3 types:
1 Point Mine: A 1 Point Mine, upon detonation, this missile will explode for 5 points of damage to everything within 5 range of the mine.
2 Point Mine: A 1 Point Mine, upon detonation, this missile will explode for 10 points of damage to everything within 8 range of the mine.
3 Point Mine: A 1 Point Mine, upon detonation, this missile will explode for 15 points of damage to everything within 12 range of the mine.

Shields: Shields are a ships primary defensive tool. Shields protect a ship from enemy attacks and various obstacles along the course. Shields are ineffective against certain forms of radiation, and lose their effectiveness in certain nebulas. Each attack against a shield will result in draining to the shields power. If a shields power level reaches 0, the shield will collapse, and the Shield Generator will need to recharge to a minimum of 10 points before they can be raised again. Shields can regenerate at a rate of 2 points per turn automatically. Shields may be overloaded to generate 10 points of additional shield power beyond their initial rating. For each point above the rating there is a 10% chance of the Shield Generator exploding, resulting in loss of shields for the ship. No shields are required on the ship.

Jammer: Jammers are Electronic Counter Measures that a ship has. Jammers are useful for preventing opposing ships from targeting the pilot’s vessel. A maximum of 10 points can be spent on any of these options. For each point added to one option, the chance of success in targeting decreases by 10%. Jammers may be overloaded to generate 10 points of additional jamming power beyond their initial rating. For each point above the rating there is a 10% chance of the jammer exploding, in loss of jamming for the ship. No Jammer is required on the ship.

Batteries: Batteries are power reserves aboard a ship. Batteries are purchased at 2 points each. Each 2 points spent on batteries allow 1 point of power to be stored. Battery power can be used at any time after it has been stored, and can be used to power any system on the ship. No batteries are required on the ship.

Spare Parts: Spare parts are used to repair various damage that might occur to the ship during the course, either though being attacked by opposing ships, or though obstacles that are presented. Each point of spent on spare parts is a point that can be used to repair any damaged system, up to their initial rating.

Misc: Miscellaneous systems developed by the pilots will be allowed, with the Mods approval. Any system designed by any pilot will be available for all pilots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
F.A.Q.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassandra Project
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Player List According to Cassandra:
LuckayLuck

1 players are signed up.

To sign up for this game go to
http://www.thecassandraproject.org/jeremy/werewolf/game/3824...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
They don't call my middle name "SuperRocketTurboBoost" for nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LuckayLuck wrote:

Welcome. That was fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grady
United States
Oak Ridge
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds fun.

But "Ack!"...the rules seem overly complicated for a n00b martian like me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cgsaunde wrote:
This sounds fun.

But "Ack!"...the rules seem overly complicated for a n00b martian like me

It won't be that hard. Since this is the first time I've run this, it'll be new for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Room for one more
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For crews, what, is it you get to sign up a buddy and they become your mason partner for the game with 7 possible ships running, or 7 possible players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grady
United States
Oak Ridge
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaldar wrote:
For crews, what, is it you get to sign up a buddy and they become your mason partner for the game with 7 possible ships running, or 7 possible players?

On this note, are the crews randomly assigned? Or do you need to sign up someone to be a crew member?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaldar wrote:

There's no set limit of ships, or # of crews per ship. I just selected 7 since I figured I could get that easy enough, and it would provide enough competetion to make it interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cgsaunde wrote:
Kaldar wrote:

On this note, are the crews randomly assigned? Or do you need to sign up someone to be a crew member?

Your choice. I added the crew member part in case two people want to sign up together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val K
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
mbmbmbmbmb
LuckayLuck wrote:
Why does your middle name have a nickname?
Bizarre!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Valkerie32 wrote:
LuckayLuck wrote:
Why does your middle name have a nickname?
Bizarre!

ninja ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Urza, PhD of Dungeon Crawl
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Race... for the Galaxy, perhaps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Urza47 wrote:

That was part of my inspiration. As was Galaxy Trucker. Now you must sign up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristie Satterly
United States
Bailey
Colorado
flag msg tools
Run you clever boy, and REMEMBER!
badge
Well behaved women, seldom make history.
mbmbmbmbmb
So you can sign up by yourself or with a lover/partner?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Guys, don't be afraid to signup, its really quite easy

you buy 30 missiles

pew pew pew!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Dispaminite wrote:
Urza47 wrote:

Show's where my mind is at. I first thought of Twilight Struggle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val K
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
mbmbmbmbmb
dbmurph22 wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:
Urza47 wrote:

Show's where my mind is at. I first thought of Twilight Struggle.

In space no once can hear you.. read twilight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.