Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I actually caught my GeekDay this year. Five years ago I was wasting time at work trying to find a list of "Top Games" and looking for strategies for Carcassonne, and there stumbled upon the geek. This is what BGG looked like back then:

Up to that point, I'd only had a passing interest in games, and only owned Risk 2210 in addition to the stuff that languished at home in my parents' closet. I think my first few purchases after being on BGG were Carcassonne (Limited Edition Box), Settlers of Catan, and Puerto Rico -- incidentally, Puerto Rico set the tenor for a lot of the games in my collection, as I owned it for ~2 years before I ever played it.

Since then, I've gone on to law school and earned my JD and became a member of the Kansas Bar, I've amassed another ~650 games and expansions, I've been to 4 BGG cons and sundry other smaller conventions, and I help administrate BGG by reviewing game submissions, links, and corrections.

What's the future hold? I'm unsure. When I first started reading the material on BGG, some users told of a cycle of game enthusiasm that all game geeks pass through. First is rampant enthusiasm where a geek will buy and play most games that can be obtained. Then after a good portion of the commonly-available stuff has been had, then comes a little more discrimination in purchasing, then comes "grail-seeking" for those that have picked up the most of what they want, and finally a turning point comes where a geek trims down from a massed collection to a smaller group of titles that will actually be played on a frequent basis. I am just about to that last stage, though the obsessive collector in me probably will not let go of some serieses, or some obtained "grails".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Go Huskies!...oh, well
mbmbmbmbmb
See, when I became a BGG 4 years ago, I thought you were an old-timer. I still remember your "Brains..." sign. You were pretty active in all of the forums and geeklists. I don't really know where I'm going with this.

Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
Only 5 years ago? Sheesh, kids these days. Get off my lawn!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jess i TRON
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But what about the tomatos?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy Geekday! Just checked mine, and it looks like it's coming up in 2 and a half weeks or so. I'll be spending my Geekday driving back from a ski trip in Colorado.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what my BGG Birthday is, as it got lost in the aether!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! I'll be 5.5 years tomorrow!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
slowcorner wrote:
See, when I became a BGG 4 years ago, I thought you were an old-timer. I still remember your "Brains..." sign. You were pretty active in all of the forums and geeklists. I don't really know where I'm going with this.

Congratulations!

I'm a fast learner, and my tastes dovetail well with with games, collecting, and information-massing. It's like it was the hobby that was waiting for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jessitron wrote:
But what about the tomatos?

They're still delicious. As are avocados.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.