Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Bostick
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
How would that work? Would it be illegal for any reason?

My thought was, if I own a ton of games, why not organize some sort of catalogue to showcase them and advertise such a service locally?

People rent stuff all the time, and I hear a lot of talk about people "haven't been able to try it yet" or "want to play before I buy" and some people, especially in my area, may not want to buy a game, but just have it for the weekend or something.

I was thinking $3 a week or something a game, plus a deposit, so if they disappear with it or damage it I can re-coup something.

I know I'd be interested in being able to check out a game before I commit $30-40 for each title.

Thoughts? Advice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know the legalities of it, but it seems like a good idea if there were demand. I would definately need a desposit though - along with valid ID - if I were renting my stuff out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Elison
United States
Millcreek
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a local game store here that rents games. You could contact them for advice, they are super friendly I am sure they'd be willing to discuss it.

http://www.boardgamerevolution.com/cat--Orem-Store--114

[edit] Noticed on the site it even talks about the rental system opps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest problem I see is making sure nothing is lost, especially with games with lots of little parts. Are you going to count every good and colonist every time someone checks Puerto Rico back in? Is that going to be worth the $3 you get? If you are missing a single colonist or a single good are you going to charge them the full price? If not, how are you going to go about replacing them?

With a book or a DVD, it's pretty easy to make a judgement call as to whether it is badly damaged enough to warrant calling it "ruined", but what if someone spills water and badly warps/destroys a single Race for the Galaxy card? Are you going to charge them the full price of the game?

Not trying to rain on your parade; I just see a lot of bookkeeping involved to the point where the $3/rental is going to come out to paying yourself $3-5/hour, which doesn't seem like it is going to be worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manny Castro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my FLGS does it. Its 3 days at 10 dollars, but if you want to buy it then the money goes toward the total cost of buying. There is also a whole thing you have to sign. As far as I have seen everything pretty much comes back alright. I have been thwarted once or twice where i wanted a game and was even willing to buy the rental but it was in fact being rented.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bartimus95 wrote:
There is a local game store here that rents games. You could contact them for advice, they are super friendly I am sure they'd be willing to discuss it.

http://www.boardgamerevolution.com/cat--Orem-Store--114

[edit] Noticed on the site it even talks about the rental system opps

Hey! I was just about to suggest the same place! I was there (Salt Lake store) just last night for game night!

When Board Game revolution rents out a game, it's not for a flat $3, but instead 10% of the MSRP. So Caylus, for instance, costs $5.50 to rent. And they let you rent it out for a week, with a 3-day grace period.

I really love that they do this, so they're the only game store I ever shop at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
The main problem I see that given the size and weight of most board games you could only really offer a local service (Which is what you said you were planning). I would think this would limit your potential customers to just a handful, so although it might be a useful service for those who used it, as a profit making venture I don't think you would make much. It makes more sense for a shop as it could increase sales for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.