Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicole
United States
Lovington
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone point me to some geeklists or make recommendations for dungeon crawls or pseudo rpgs or fantasy adventure or whatever you want to call a boardgame with a board, fantasy theme, and an rpg feel to play with the younger kids. AND it would be really good if they ARE oop that they're reasonably priced on BGG/Ebay. Reasonably priced for letting kids play - not reasonably priced for 'geek collectors.

THANKS!

Nicole

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Younger as in 5, 8 or 14?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Nicole,

It depends on their age. A few suggestions for 8+ years-old:

1) HeroQuest - It is out of print, but the base set should be fairly cheap on ebay ($20?). The expansions are more money, but you don't need them unless you end up really liking the game.

2) Descent: Journeys in the Dark - Too complex for 8 year-olds to play on their own, but with an adult to guide them the game can be a blast. Lots of dice rolling, different monsters to fight, etc.

3) Dungeon! - Not my favorite game, but easy enough for ages 8+ to play on their own. Also OOP, but should be reasonable on eBay. There are several different versions of the game, but they all play about the same so any one of them will do fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any of the Ravensburger Labyrinth Games might be a good starting place.

Key to the Kingdom, I got it off of eBay. Haven't tried it yet. (He's only 3).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole
United States
Lovington
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More the 5 to 8 range. My 5 year old would love to play - but I doubt we'll find one that scales that young.

Geosphere wrote:
Younger as in 5, 8 or 14?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Munchkin Quest... a dungeon crawler that has a modular tile system, but doesn't take itself too seriously. My 7 year old niece loved it and the humorous theme and cartoon style really made a hit with the kids. I think the rule system is direct and simple, but had to "team" up with my 5 year old so as to not leave her out of the fun. Hope this will help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
Another game to consider is Talisman (Revised 4th Edition). Might be a little too complex for your kids to learn on their own, but if you read the rules and teach it to them they should be able to play it on their own after that. At its heart it is a pretty simple game...LONG, but simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisman made me think of Sword & Skull. It gets pooh-poohed here on the geek from snobs who won't touch anything remotely like Monopoly, but I think it's a fun game, and I know that kids like it a lot. It is actually pretty Dungeon Crawl/RPG-like--you can raise your stats with cards and you fight monsters and each other for gold. You win by beating the big baddy or by getting enought loot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drakon (third edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For that age I think Dungeon! is a very good game. It's a lot of fun and kids pick it up easy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeonquest can be found pretty cheap on eBay, and the quality of the components are strong enough to have usually withstood the tests of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyD wrote:
For that age I think Dungeon! is a very good game. It's a lot of fun and kids pick it up easy!

I'll third Dungeon! . My siblings and I all grew up playing it at a very young age. Very easy and fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Allen
Australia
Ngunnawal, Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on whether we are talking about
(A) kids playing with adult; or
(B) kids playing amongst themselves

I can mainly speak of (A) at the moment.

Speaking as a father of 4 boys (8,6,4,0), The 8 and 6 year olds adore with a modified version I run of Descent: Journeys in the Dark (e.g. no overlord deck or threat, heroes always respawn, I pre-equip them etc).

When they were younger,they also enjoyed a modified version of DungeonQuest (e.g. just using room tiles, searching, dragon treasures, etc).

Best of luck,
Bill

Almost forgot - the Thomson boys seem to have a blast with Heroquest - see Neil's great session reports!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest Prophecy using variant rules to speed the game. I have played a number of dungeon crawls, including Talisman and Dungeon with my boys (ages 7 and 10). Prophecy is our favorite. Here is a review I did on playing Prophecy with kids:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/372365
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeminiWeb wrote:

Speaking as a father of 4 boys (8,6,4,0), The 8 and 6 year olds adore with a modified version I run of Descent: Journeys in the Dark (e.g. no overlord deck or threat, heroes always respawn, I pre-equip them etc).

How long do you Descent games last with the variant you use? I would love to get this and play with my boys, but the duration has always looked like it takes more time than we ever have.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Allen
Australia
Ngunnawal, Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scottandkimr wrote:
GeminiWeb wrote:

How long do you Descent games last with the variant you use? I would love to get this and play with my boys, but the duration has always looked like it takes more time than we ever have.

Thanks

30-60 minutes is easily do-able. I had run a couple of the mini-dungeons from Road to Legend but it would be just as easy to invent a mini-dungeon on the spot (since you don't have to worry about balancing things finely with the variant).

Basically put some tiles down to make a dungeon, stock it with a few monsters and off you go! You could even add a door whereby reinforcements might come from if you want to mix it up ...

Include fatigue rules. Choices of actions are Attack/Attack, Attack/Move, Move/Move and then throw in the Rest option as well. If you really want, maybe through in a chest or two ... coins are included for something to grab ... etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll put another word in for Dungeon. It's very easy, semi-attractive, and more than enough for 5-10 year olds. You can play it in 30 minutes too. It won't hold your attention for long, but you can ramp up the difficulty for yourself and go for levels that you shouldn't just to have some fun, or give the kids extra bonuses. I think it's also easy to house rule in some more complex variants, or even base some simple RPG encounters on the map board.

My kids love rolling for the monsters any time they have to attack me!

I obtained mine off BGG's marketplace via a trade, but you should be able to find this one on eBAY for $15.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole
United States
Lovington
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to change the subject, but...

Have you guys seen these before?

http://www.rpgshop.com/default/mana-energy-potion.html
http://www.rpgshop.com/default/health-potion-energy-drink.ht...

I just stumbled upon them looking up your game recomendations.

Nicole

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools

Up until recently, we had an honest-to-Ghod gaming salon here in NYC - adecent, well-stocked game store in the front, and many large, tables suitable for nearly any type of gaming in the back, open long hours - and those werestocked in the snackage area with the usual Red Bulls, sodas and etc.

I personally find them to be possessed of an odd combination of "neat" and "depressingly obsessive-compulsive..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole
United States
Lovington
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I don't know that I'd want them to actually drink one, but if I was still looking for Christmas stocking stuffers I'd HAVE to get some. My boys would be so impressed. As it is they want to play with empty milk jugs that I've drawn a skull and crossbones on as their poison and jugs colored red and blue for potions, when they're playing pretend.

Nicole

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Butler
United States
Hughesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My boy are 7 and 9. They like Dungeon (old game by TSR that you should be able to find on ebay or here)

We have the Classic Edition, but there seem to be very few differences between editions.

They LOVE Talisman, but that does require that your older boy be on grade level with reading skills and he (or you) will have to read for the younger. you should be able to pick up Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) for less than $20 new or get the current edition for about $40 new.

I'll also toss in a good word for Keys to the Kingdom. Personally, I groan (inwardly) when the kids pull it out to play with me - but it's not about me, it's about them, and they like it quite a bit.

If you don't have one yet, you should pick up a copy of Heroscape for them also - great game for boys that age ... and fun for adults also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♫ As the masters rot on walls ♫ And the angels eat their grapes ♫ I watched Picasso Visit The Planet Of The Apes ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
JavaJack wrote:

I would agree with JavaJack.
Great dungeon crawl game with young boys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.