Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Lee
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, for those who don't want to play with the sympathiser rule, the 4 player game FFG variant allows for only 1 Cylon. For those who think it might be fun to have a 2nd Cylon player, try out these rules:

1. Deal out 1 Cylon card in the initial player setup
2. Deal out a second Cylon card in the sleeper phase

To help balance out the fact that the crisis cards become almost impossible to beat with half of the players as Cylons, add the following two rules:

3. For each skill check, double the value of the highest (matching) skill card for the humans

4. Revealed cylons only draw ONE skill card per turn. Only one Cylon (max) may reveal to go to a Cylon location. The other must remain undercover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps something more subtle, that doesn't hinder the cylons from sabotaging the checks and encourages the 2nd unrevealed cylon to stay hidden.

Reduce each (Super)Crisis level by 2 for each revealed cylon in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sawler
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What if another rule that if the Cylon Player gets both of the You are a Cylon cards, he can't give them to another person, but must keep them both. Then there is the distinct possibility that there may only be 1 Cylon in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 checks (one crisis and one supercrisis) use 4 colors. You'd probably be better served by lowering the difficulty and partial difficulty, and possibly adding bonus card draws if there are two revealed cylons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Lee
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good points! OK instead of nerfing the non-matching skill cards, what about a simple buff to the human cards during skill checks:

The highest matching card value is doubled. This could add a tactical decision during the process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, gives a lot of incentive to throw in a 4 or a 5 on almost every check. Might work. Try it and let us know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Lee
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
Hm, gives a lot of incentive to throw in a 4 or a 5 on almost every check. Might work. Try it and let us know!

Exactly... And in addition, you'd probably want to avoid having too many 4's or 5's in a skill check so you can save them for another crisis. We play with no talking during the skill checks so it is another solid element of gameplay.

I'm trying this tonight. I'll let you know how it goes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Doctor is In
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem I foresee is not with the humans failing too many skill checks. It is that the humans will find it hard to make positive progress towards victory when drawing only two potential jump cards every round. The fact that both Cylons are at full power is too much in my opinion and will only make this game a bloodbath for the Cylons the vast majority of the time.

I think much better would be the following:

Setup is like the standard 4 player game (use the sympathizer card).

Sympathizer is always a cylon but otherwise, the rules for the sympathizer card are identical to the original game.

Humans get a slight boost across the board after the sleeper phase. Possibilities are:

1. A base -1 or -2 to skill check difficulty.
or
2. Each human player can draw one bonus skill card from the sympathizers pool set on their turn. This gives the humans a slightly wider card pool to work with and mitigates the possibility of losing all of a color due to bad luck.

I personally like 2 better. Thematically it makes sense that survivors would learn new skills to cover those lost from betrayal and attrition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Lee
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys! I tinkered with the original idea and used some of your suggestions and had a great four player game today. Probably the best four player game I've had to date.

The Cylons got the humans down to 1 morale and 1 fuel but the humans managed to barely escape with an early jump by Helo!

Having 2 Cylons makes the game quite tough so we weakened the Cylons by making them discard down to 1 card when revealed. They can also only draw 1 card per turn. In addition, only the first cylon to reveal gets a super crisis card.

I edited the original post to reflect these changes.

Now that I think about it, this would also work in the 6 player game: You could have 2 Cylons in the first phase, then add a 3rd in the sleeper phase while using these rules. This effectively gets rid of the sympatiser.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Stahl
United States
California
flag msg tools
I argree with the idea that the problem with 2 cylons is that its hard to make material progress in jumping. To that end, what about just shaving off one spot on the jump meter? Also has the advantages of making the game faster...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.