Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: identify [+] [View All]
Russ Fade
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Yo yo yo.

My dad has been trying to track down this song he remembers from his youth. He's 75, a widower, undergoing radiation therapy for prostate cancer, and I guess at that stage in life where one thinks a great deal of the past.

I've been helping him and we've had no luck.

He's given me very limited information to go on. He can only remember one lyric from the song . . . "Why do you taunt at me forevermore". Now, is that the EXACT lyric? Who knows. I imagine one's memory might be fuzzy having not heard a song in nearly 60 years.

This song was played on the radio in Columbia, SC over and over ad naseum. So it must have been a "hit". The year was probably between 1947-1953. Was it a "new" song or something 10-15 years old still be played on the radio? I don't know. I'm guessing new if he heard it a lot.

Asked to describe the type of music, he can only tell me he'd call it a "pop" song as in "popular" . . . not "jazzy" . . . not "swoony" like "Sinatra and those boys." He can't even tell me what sorts of instruments were used in the song . . . so, yeah, limited info.

I've done google searches, I've hit up "lyric search sites", etc, all to no avail. I'm just posting here on the off chance one of you recognizes that line or something close to it from the era or perhaps has a parent or grandparent of similar age who might know. I know it has nothing to do with boardgames, but this is "chit chat", and I've found you guys to be a source of unusual knowledge in the past! Thanks a bunch.

"Why do you taunt at me forevermore . . . . "

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Would it be the song Forever?

Darlin', forever, forever
You can break my heart
Forever, if you want to
I'll play the part of a fool
Just to be with you forever

Forever, darling, forever
You can taunt me
Take my love for granted
But I'll always be just a fool

I'll be your slave
For the rest of my days
Love you more in so many ways
Just to be with you thrills me through and through

And darlin', forever, forever
You can taunt me
Take my love for granted
But I'll always be just a fool

Forever, forever, I'll love you so
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Amy, you'd have gotten a tip from me if only you'd referenced the lyricist, the original artist...the source....SOMETHING! For now my untrusting nature suspects that you just wrote that song for kicks.

If it's not the 1963 recording by The Marvelettes of "Forever," whose lyrics Amy so pleasantly reproduced, I'll be very surprised.

Incidentally, that song is available from iTunes, for 99 cents (no surprise there). If you feel like putting it onto a device and playing it for him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Fade
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
1963 seems too late for the recording, but I will definately show this to my dad tomorrow just in case (maybe he's "misremembering" when exactly he was hearing it). Thanks a bunch!

edit: BTW I left out that the vocalist is supposed to be a male. However, I found this song was covered simultaneously by Marvin Gaye. I still think it is something earlier based on my dad's info, but I'll find out tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
Amy, you'd have gotten a tip from me if only you'd referenced the lyricist, the original artist...the source....SOMETHING! For now my untrusting nature suspects that you just wrote that song for kicks.

Well, I found it by Googling "lyrics taunt forever," and I found most of the references were to Marvin Gaye, but some for The Marvelettes. I didn't know who the original artist was, and couldn't find out who wrote it. All I could seem to find was "download it for your ringtone!!!" Wikipedia didn't seems to be all that much help. Since I had apparently exhausted both Google and Wikipedia, I figured that must be all the information the internet had to offer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Fade
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
That's what gets me . . . . if my dad has the lyrics right, this thing shouldn't be hard to find via google and the 'net. It's a strange sounding lyric though so I question his memory.

"Why do you taunt at me forevermore"

"Taunt AT me?" Oddness, that is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marvin Gaye sounds more feminine on some recordings than The Marvelettes ever did! Okay, just kidding.

Amy, you should have mentioned the Marvin Gaye connection, or at least asked if Russ' dad has some sort of ring tone fixation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Fade
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
He says that's not it. Thanks though. The search continues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually found myself listening to the Sirius-XM 40's on 4 channel today, hoping your stupid song would come on. It's all Amy's fault for getting your dad excited. Blame her!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt F
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about this by Don Cornell with the Sammy Kaye Orchestra? The time period's right. It first reached the Billboard magazine Best Seller chart on February 3, 1950 and lasted 22 weeks on the chart, peaking at #3.

SAMMY KAYE
"It Isn't Fair"
(feat. Don Cornell)

It isn't fair for you to taunt me
How can you make me care this way
It isn't fair for you to want me
If it's just for a day

It isn't fair for you to thrill me
Why do you do the things you do
It isn't fair for you to fill me
With those dreams that can't come true, dear

Why is it that you came into my life
And made it complete
You gave me just a taste of high life
If this is love then I repeat

It isn't fair for you to taunt me
How can you make me care this way
It isn't fair for you to want me
If it's just for today

My darling, it isn't fair
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If it falls on me and pins me underneath it, does that still count as seizing the day?
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried searching in Allmusic.com and Metrolyrics.com, but both of those are geared towards more modern songs.

My suspicion is that it was a local group/artist that had a song get really popular in that region, and is essentially unknown outside that area. That used to happen a lot, back before the music business became homogenized.

I'm thinking that only a former DJ from the area would have any inkling as to the song title and/or artist. Maybe some old radio play lists from that era might have it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWF1 wrote:
How about this by Don Cornell with the Sammy Kaye Orchestra? The time period's right. It first reached the Billboard magazine Best Seller chart on February 3, 1950 and lasted 22 weeks on the chart, peaking at #3.

Damn it! Don Cornell is my father, I can't believe I didn't think of this song.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt F
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which explains the short-lived "Don Cornell and His Thundering Rumblestrips".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Fade
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Well, it isn't "It Isn't Fair" either. I'm starting to think Claymore is on to something and this is some kind of local deal to Columbia, SC. cry

Thanks for the help regardless, folks. I think my dad enjoyed seeing me and all these "strangers" on BGG trying to help out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well now my dad is pissed off at your dad for not loving his song.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edwards
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Very popular tune at the time, it was covered by a lot of singers. The one I think your dad might be thinking of was sung by Tex Beneke or Johnny Mercer?

Worth a shot, the intro is pretty distinctive even before the singing starts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Fade
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Probably not it (I'll still show him to be sure!) . . . but boy is it catchy!

The more "research" I do on this subject, the more I believe my dad is lucky to have grown up in a time when music like this was "top 40" as opposed to Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.