Magic: The Gathering» Forums » General

Subject: land destruction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Calvin Daniels
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anyome know where I can find a good card list for an effective land destruction deck ?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris C.
United States
Goshen
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
"Somewhere over the rainbow..."
mbmbmbmbmb
Yah. For a type 2 constructed deck there are not a whole lot of options out there. If your just looking for casual games try Magic Salvation website. I do not know the address. just google it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Land Destruction is not very popular these days, if just because of how frustrating it is to play against it.

If your format allows you to get old cards, how about something like this for a deck's core:

4 Sinkhole
4 Vindicate
4 Braids, Cabal Minion
4 Dark Confidant
4 Smallpox

2 TombStalker

The point here would not be just killing lands, but make keeping any permanent in play complicated. Send enough things to the graveyard, and even if you do not have a big advantage permanent-wise, staying alive long enough lets you play a cheap tombstalker for the win.

Depending on how you like to play, you can add even more control elements, or a bit of beatdown, to make the deck work more like Ponza.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Short
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very difficult to make a tournament viable land destruction deck, since most LD effects don't have a significant impact on board position. In the early game, they maintain the board in it's current state (trading spells for land at a 1:1 rate), and in the late game the LD becomes irrelevant once your opponent hits their required mana threshold.

The real problem is that LD has an incredibly difficult time dealing with small aggressive creatures that come out before your LD can truly come online. Unfortunately, small aggressive creature decks are highly popular in almost every format at the moment.

The only currently successful LD deck I can think of at the moment is All-In Red in extended. This is a deck that attempts to play a turn 1 or turn 2 Deus of Calamity and use his LD ability to keep the opponent on their heels long enough to finish them off. It's not traditional land destruction, but that's why it actually sees success.

A deck list from Rashad Miller PT Berlin T8 deck is available here:
http://www.wizards.com/magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/dai...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Daniels
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am so not worried about tournies, we are miles from anywhere that runs one

we play it rather simple, if it exists on a magic card, play it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Daniels
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark rituals

sinkholes

blight

are a start to speeding up a black deck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Strip Mines are also a useful option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
also: I think the best Land Destruction decks in terms of overall game has historically been straight black or straight red. If you're playing in an anything goes format, black is by far the more impressive because it has access to 2 mana destruction, and the Ritual to cast the 3 drops on turn 1 as well. (Don't forget Icequake in addition to the obvious Rain of Tears).

Since Odyssey, Braids has probably been your best option for a permanent board lock, though Smokestack is effectively similar. Pairing it with hand destruction is more traditional though, cards like Hypnotic Specter and Hymn to Tourach pair nicely with a land destruction suite (and Ritual). Throw in some Juzams (or Plague Slivers for those who want the same card at a fraction of the cost, albeit with less stylish art) and go to town. If you're feeling particularly nasty, use Necropotence so you always have a full hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Buel
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisinbear wrote:
anyome know where I can find a good card list for an effective land destruction deck ?

thanks

http://www.deckcheck.net/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Daniels
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
only one mine though aren't they restricted ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're playing with the restricted list, then yes, so is Necropotence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hoskins
United States
OKC
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CortexBomb wrote:
also: I think the best Land Destruction decks in terms of overall game has historically been straight black or straight red. If you're playing in an anything goes format, black is by far the more

Mono-red LD is weaker than RG LD. Angry Hermit is one example of a highly successful RG LD deck. Llanowar elves and BoPs make RG a fast LD build and access to Green fatties allow you to really capitalize on the soft control that early LD provides. Mono-red LD is do-able, but much more limited than RG.

MonoBlack LD is tight and I agree with your take that its pretty much the strongest LD/control deck (historically speaking)

Ritual,Hymn,Hippie, and a wealth of various tutors make monoblack LD fast, consistent and fun to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
For an unusual LD deck, I'd recommend Pirates. Nobody expects mono-blue decks to destroy your land. Rishadan Footpad may be my favourite Mercadian Masques card. You could try something like this:

4 Rishadan Cutpurse
2 Rishadan Footpad
3 Spiketail Hatchling
4 Boomerang
4 Hoodwink
2 Snap
2 Parallax Tide
4 Rhystic Study
2 Standstill
3 Stifle
4 Force of Will
4 Ankh of Mishra
2 Piracy
2 Chrome Mox
2 Wasteland
4 Ancient Tomb
12 Island

The idea is to bounce your opponent's land back to their hand, destroy it with Pirates when they can't afford to pay the tax and draw more cards from Rhystic Study as they often won't be able to stop you.

There are some fun tricks in here. Use Parallax Tide to remove five lands from the game, then Stifle the Tide's leaves play ability to stop those lands from ever returning. Or, if you don't have a Stifle, drop Ankh of Mishra while the lands are removed, so that when they return your opponent takes 10 damage.

You have to mulligan fairly aggressively with this deck, as you need a good start otherwise your opponent can slip under the net.

It's not much fun playing against dedicated LD decks, but this one is a bit different so hopefully your opponent will at least enjoy the originality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
An alternate land destruction approach is to put out a massive threat, and then destroy all the lands, much in the mode of classic ErnhamGeddon decks (which would stick a big creature, then wipe away all lands with Armageddon).

Current cards that can do this include:

Boom // Bust (Time Spiral)
Realm Razer (Shards of Alara)
Ajani Vengeant (Shards of Alara)
Death Cloud (Mirrodin)

In fact, all of these have appeared to a greater or lesser extent in tournament formats in the last couple years. In Death Cloud, for example, one possible game winning approach is to play a planeswalker, then Death Cloud away everyone's land, creatures, and cards, leaving you with a planeswalker that you then kill the opponent with.

As others have mentioned, it's reasonably hard to get ahead with land destruction builds in the modern Standard environment; land destruction is usually reserved for dealing with specific problem lands (e.g. Mutavault) rather than being used as a strategy for an entire deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote from Mark Rosewater, lead Magic the Gathering designer:

"If you make the more fun parts of the game stronger and the less fun parts weaker, you have much better chance of encouraging the play you want. As an example, R&D quickly found that land destruction was very unfun if it could be used to keep the opponent from ever being able to do anything. This has led to R&D making the choice to print the majority of land destruction at a lower power level to keep those kinds of decks generally out of the tournament environment."

The whole article is here: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/dai...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Right -- and that's an excellent article to read anyway, as it breaks down many of the design choices that went into the game in the first place, and then over time.

(Actually, Mark's column is awesome almost all the time for this kind of thing.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.