BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG General

Subject: How to find MY 5 and 6 player games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: collection [+] useful [+] [View All]
Brad Tritone

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've asked this before, and got no replies (other than my own). So I'll try again. How can I find all the games I own (in my collection) that can be played by 5 or 6 players?

I saw another thread tonight on the topic of tags and I had never really noticed them before. I found "5-player" and "6-player" tags, and I can search on tags, but I can't limit the search to only the games I own.

Is there a way? Using tags? I'd love to be able to sort my own collection by num players but there are no columns in My Collection related to num players.

Ideally I'd like to search My Collection using this format, so I could display the results WITH game pictures and some descriptions, to help me pick a game. I need to be able to see the thumbnail of the game (I'm just like that) and searching by Tags doesn't do that. I also need to see them Alphabetically. Title sort (clicking on the word "Title" in the headers) is broken on the generic search page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Click Adv. Game Search near the top of the screen. Tick the box to Search Games Owned. It should already have tritone in the Specify User box. Choose 5 in the left drop down of # of Players Range, and 6 in the right side. Click submit.

Gives you: this list
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Tritone

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steven, thanks for the reply! You know, I tried that... and it isn't complete. For example, where's Puerto Rico which maxes out at 5? I could not find any combination of those two dropdowns that would give me both 5 and 6 player games... putting 5-6 only gives you 6-player (or more) games.

I think the first field is ignored when you input both fields.

I would have settled for being able to display My Collection with Min and Max Players columns... but that's not an option.

I ended up creating similar links to yours above (thanks) separately for the 5-player games, and then the 6-player games, in my collection. Maybe there's an "OR" function somewhere in the BGG API that I'll stumble upon one day?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, P.R. isn't on the list returned, because it doesn't support 6. By putting in a range, you're asking for the list of games which can handle that range. So, any game that only goes up to 5, or goes 6 and up won't be shown.

Which makes sense when you think about it, if 6 folks did show up to your game night, P.R. wouldn't be playable.

If you just want the list that can be played by 5, then just put 5 only in one box, and leave the other blank, as you saw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Leppo
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also use Excel to read your game collection data. You can take the long route and export the data and read that into Excel or just link to the data (instructions below).

1Fire up Excel

2Get external data (Data - Get External Data - choose XML)

3Use the BGG XML API

http://boardgamegeek.com/xmlapi/collection/tritone?own=1

Lots of ways to edit this, use "rated=1" instead of "own=1" to get all games you have rated not just own. This should get all of your buddy's games. You have rated all the games you have played, right.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/xmlapi

4Add a filter to your data.

5Filter on number of players min and max to get the desired results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
PaleHorseRider wrote:
You can also use Excel to read your game collection data. You can take the long route and export the data and read that into Excel or just link to the data (instructions below).

1Fire up Excel

2Get external data (Data - Get External Data - choose XML)

3Use the BGG XML API

http://boardgamegeek.com/xmlapi/collection/tritone?own=1

Lots of ways to edit this, use "rated=1" instead of "own=1" to get all games you have rated not just own. This should get all of your buddy's games. You have rated all the games you have played, right.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/xmlapi

4Add a filter to your data.

5Filter on number of players min and max to get the desired results.

There's a tool for this all ready to go:

Your Games Collection by Best #Players Tool

I do wish there was a way to do this on the site with your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Tritone

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, thanks for the info on the XML interface! I had no idea it existed. I work with XML and XSL all day, so I'm in hog heaven now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.