Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Buster Brown
United States
Maryland Heights
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My wife and I played again the other night, once again her taking house Baratheon and me house Stark. And again another comfortable victory for house Baratheon. However, this particular game prompted us both to ask these three rules questions:

1. For cards that are played as an attachment to other cards (ex: Motley, Stinking Drunk and Milk of the Poppy), is there a way for someone (anyone) to remove them from play? By remove them, I mean other than the death of that character that has been played to the table with the card attached to it. In our case, she played "Stinking Drunk" to my Rob Stark and I was unable to find a single card in the Stark deck that would allow me to remove that attached penalty, effectively making Rob useless to me the rest of the game.

2. Would kneeling Lightbringer to save the attached character save them from the "Valor Morghulis" plot card? We thought not, but the Valor Morghulis card does not specifically say death is unavoidable by all means.

3. Related to question #1: What methods does the game afford someone to pick up characters that they have already played to the table, to include shifting attachments from one character in-play to another?

Thanks if anyone can help us with these questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Crowe
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buster Brown wrote:

1. For cards that are played as an attachment to other cards (ex: Motley, Stinking Drunk and Milk of the Poppy), is there a way for someone (anyone) to remove them from play? By remove them, I mean other than the death of that character that has been played to the table with the card attached to it. In our case, she played "Stinking Drunk" to my Rob Stark and I was unable to find a single card in the Stark deck that would allow me to remove that attached penalty, effectively making Rob useless to me the rest of the game.

I assume you're using core set cards? In which case there are very few options - in fact I can only think of one, Mad King's Legacy, which is a Targaryen-only Plot that destroys an attatchment when it is revealed. Targ are the house that plays most with attatchements. So not much help there I'm afraid.

Buster Brown wrote:

2. Would kneeling Lightbringer to save the attached character save them from the "Valor Morghulis" plot card? We thought not, but the Valor Morghulis card does not specifically say death is unavoidable by all means.

Lightbringer would work. Valar kills every character, but you are allowed to save them with whatever effects you can. Sometimes a card will say 'cannot be saved', but not here.

Buster Brown wrote:

3. Related to question #1: What methods does the game afford someone to pick up characters that they have already played to the table, to include shifting attachments from one character in-play to another?

Again in the core set you've not got much here. And again Targaryen are generally the best at this, bouncing back their own characters. Though for any house have a look at the plot Snowed Under, that's the best I can think of at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buster Brown
United States
Maryland Heights
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response Simon! Yes, we are using the core LCG set.

Just curious, would there be any problem with letting someone pick up a character or attachment card they have previously deployed to the table, as long as they again have to pay the gold cost to deploy the card each time they bring it out?

I'm just curious as to how this would change the game, as I really like most aspects of the game except having to be comitted to who I leave on the table from turn-to-turn. Attachments are definately something I would like to have a house rule to allow you to shuffle them from character to character, again, paying the gold cost to take it back into your hand and deploy it back onto another character. For instance, I had deployed out Rob Stark and attached Summer to him, but later on I drew Catalyn Stark and wished I had the ability to transfer Summer to her, since she lacks military power and Summer would have provided that. But, without any means to reorganize my attachments or characters that would not be possible.

Thanks for any input anyone might have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason -
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a card in the Stark deck that would let you get a problematic attachment off of a character --the plot "Snowed Under". Make sure you kneel the character in question during the turn you play that plot and then choose it to return to your hand. When the character is picked up, the attachment goes to it's controller's discard pile and you can then replay the character next turn sans attachment (of course, you need to pay it's cost again during Marshalling).

As for allowing attachments to move from one character to another as a house rule, I think that's a fairly significant change to the game. Card balance may be thrown off since the game designers did not account for such in creating given cards. I think part of the game is the tension with attachments such as you see in the Stark deck where there are characters that would better benefit from them --do you play the attachment now and start getting some benefit immediately or do you risk holding onto it hoping for a better synergy later on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ergo Proxy
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Can you attach more than 1 attachment on a character?

2) Can you switch weapons (attachments) on characters in play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ergo Proxy wrote:
1) Can you attach more than 1 attachment on a character?

Yes

Quote:
2) Can you switch weapons (attachments) on characters in play?

No, unless you have a card that specifically allows it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.