United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't gotten to play this yet, these are just thoughts from the rules:

1. There are way too many options of what you can do on a player's turn. Especially for as simple as you seemed to be going. Personally, I'd lean towards:

Choose one of the following:
A. Start up to two new fields, each at least two deep.
B. Add to any existing fields.
C. Play as many specialty cards as you want.

These options seem to keep the spirit of the game and are much easier for me to remember at least.

2. I'd like it if the combat math was a bit simpler. Maybe just have it:

When you start a new field, any opponent's field that is smaller than your new one is discarded.

I know this would break the whole stranglehold of each resource only being held by a single player. But it would seem a bit smoother in the play to me. It also offers plenty of interesting decisions. Do I stack 'em deep or stack 'em wide? Right now, there's not much need to stack them deep other than to keep from scoring too fast.

3. Knizia and Uwe would yell at you BTW. Always have the players draw new cards at the end of their turns. That way they don't sit and process new information while everyone is waiting for them.

4. The specialty cards seem to work now, but they don't really seem to scale with player count. You put the whole "2 flood" rule in, but that's just rough with 3 players. I'd at least offer an alternative:

Cut the income way down on the specialty cards, but have them trigger on every player's turn. So have the 2-good specialties produce 1 card every turn. You could reword the draw phase to be:

The active player draws 2 cards. Then all players draw cards for any specialty cards. Do not draw cards for specialty cards played this turn by the active player.

Also, to add some more interaction, maybe have the specialty cards knocked out when someone else plants a new field with one of those goods on it. Either have this in addition to flooding, or just be the only way to get rid of them. Maybe make it to where you knock out your own if you start new fields too, just to add some headache.

5. I'd play around with a 2-1 exchange rate for a few games. It adds more strategy to cannibalizing your score pile. Of course, maybe it would make all the scores too even, I don't really know.

Actually, I'd yank something from Blue Moon City. Force them to make this choice at the end of their turn right before they draw cards. Before they draw their cards, allow them to discard 1-2 cards from their hand or score pile. They then draw 2 plus the number of cards they discarded.

Other than that, the game intrigues me enough to try it. 108 cards is an annoying amount to cut out though. Maybe you should toss up the files for ArtsCow or something. Although that's still $30 per copy...

Anyway, I hope I've come across as intrigued. After typing this all up, I probably will go through the trouble of making up a deck to try.

Thanks,

Shea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheamus Parkes
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And because that rambling may have gotten messy, here's be a sample turn:

A. Flood
Turn up a flood card. Score all matching fields.

B. Planting

Choose one of the following:

1. Plant up to two new fields. Each must be at least two in length.
2. Add any number of matching cards to fields you already have.
3. Lay down any number of specialty cards. (Do not count as fields)

If you chose to lay new fields, check the following:

1. Any matching opponent's field that contains less cards is discarded.
2. Any specialty card with a matching symbol is discarded, including your own.

C. Drawing

In this order:
1. You may discard one card from your hand.
2. You may discard one card from your score pile.
3. Draw a card if you discarded from your hand.
4. Draw a card if you discarded from your score pile.
5. Draw two cards.
6. All players with specialty cards draw corresponding cards. The active player does not draw for new specialty cards that were played this turn.

Of course I left out details, but I think that sums up my suggestions...

BTW, I think the "specialty" cards make more sense thematically as "market" cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
We (or just I) need line breaks to read this, Sheamus !

When you use the code tag you have to supply these yourself.

6. All players with specialty cards draw corresponding cards.
The active player does not draw for new specialty cards
that were played this turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheamus Parkes
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh, forgot that. I'll patch it up Chris. (I run at a really wide resolution so I didn't notice it.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
All nice now! Thanks.

I have no great comments, even though I've now read your posts. I've been mildly following this game some. What you say here makes sense to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Callister
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are good ideas. I really like the idea of trading in 1 card from your hand or 1 card from your score pile for an extra draw. And i don't see a problem with drawing at the end of your turn. Aside from the things you said, it also gives a nice signal to the next player that it's their turn instead of having to say out loud "your turn" or "I'm done, go ahead" every turn.

regarding artscow - there is a thread up right now where someone has posted a coupon code that is good through march 15 2009.
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/380102 the coupon lets you buy 54 card custom decks for $5.88 with free shipping! I've taken advantage of it 12 times already. Nile was purposefully designed to consist of 108 cards so it would be easier to make on artscow or other printing places that base orders on 54 card decks. I will post the files I used in the files section shortly. They are higher resolution and of slightly different design than the cards shown in the images section.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. It's great to get so much feedback
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fishmountains wrote:
Nile was purposefully designed to consist of 108 cards so it would be easier to make on artscow or other printing places that base orders on 54 card decks.
Well, that brings up another Rules inconsistency, then. The game page description says 108 while the rules sheet says 117.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.