Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Woods
United States
Calabasas
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I only have the base set, which I am completely in live with. I am definetly going to get some expansions. But my questions is, when I do get these expansions, am I going to want to select matching boards? Has anyone played game will all 8 different tiles? This question also applies to a shorter game of the base set using 6 tiles.
The thing I see is that the person who is unlucky enough to get it at his starting line might be at a disadvantage, but I dont think that big of one, while my friend insists on using matching pair tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only used pairs, as - for me - the rotating room mechanism is the game.

However, I see no reason why you couldn't play without matching room. I would guess it would the game slightly easier, as you don't risk having a room rotating on you from afar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
Welcome to the finals of the 43rd Stare Out Tournament. Press Esc to start.
mb
Well, according the rulebook, each player must choose either 2 pairs of rooms secretly or 4 pairs mutually. And as Dane said, rotating rooms is what DT about. However we never bothered, since there wasn't a single game where there wasn't a more useful action than rotating a remote room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I constantly find reason to rotate "remote" rooms. Being able to influence and control from a distance is part of the long term strategy of the game, as well as a fundamental appeal; it is what makes Dungeon Twister different from any other dungeon crawl or abstract.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Glisson
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
www.scottsigler.com/gfl
badge
I'm gonna keep signing my posts so just let it go already.
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked at this title and after reading the reviews online here I have a copy on the way to my house. I hope to have it by this weekend but it may not be here until Tues of next week. I started looking at this title after seeing the Munchkin Quest board game. I like this idea and hope this is what I'm after. I also picked up a copy of Drakon but I think I will like this one better. MQ seemed like it was too humor based for what I want. I am really looking forward to playing this!

Kraken Fan #69

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Woods
United States
Calabasas
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the input, I agree after reading what you guys have to say. As to Krakenfan, I had been wanting to get this game, but hesitated since I like multiplayer games. However, I went to a con and got it tax free and a few percent off, so I just had to get it. I am in love with the way this game makes you think. It is so challenging at times and just plain fun. You always talk about the move that could have been, or what you should have done when it is all over. Millions of combination of game play with a different variant every time. I cannot wait to get the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boxcar12 wrote:
I had been wanting to get this game, but hesitated since I like multiplayer games.

FWIW - it is also a multiplayer game. In fact I prefer to play it with 3 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe F.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've a 24 sided dice and we roll the dice to determine which boards to use. Total chaos, in the event that the same number is rolled, we use a promo board instead. Just tossing out an idea here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
Welcome to the finals of the 43rd Stare Out Tournament. Press Esc to start.
mb
logopolys wrote:
I constantly find reason to rotate "remote" rooms. Being ble to influence and control from a distance is part of the long term strategy of the game, as well as a fundemental appeal; it is what makes Dungeon Twister different from any other dungeon crawl or abstract.

Meh, long term strategy is for sissies. Hey, maybe we might use a dice instead of combat cards...

Just kiddin'. I wouldn't use a D20. Rock-paper-scissors FTW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Allardyce
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also use dice to select the rooms to be played each game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
Boxcar12 wrote:
I had been wanting to get this game, but hesitated since I like multiplayer games.

FWIW - it is also a multiplayer game. In fact I prefer to play it with 3 players.

As-it-ships, it's a 2 player game.

There is an expansion allowing it to become a 3-4 player game.

There are also expansions that beef up the 2 player game.

But there are no English-language expansions that beef up the 3-4 game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hemlockaaa wrote:
I also use dice to select the rooms to be played each game.

I don't see the problem with using dice to select pairs of rooms, but I can't see the point of not playing with pairs of rooms. Anyone wish to enlighten me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:

There is an expansion allowing it to become a 3-4 player game.
There are also expansions that beef up the 2 player game.

But there are no English-language expansions that beef up the 3-4 game.

Well, I don't live in fear of the gaming police comming to tell me that I cannot use any of my expansions for my 3-player games.

Rooms are obviously easy to use.
The characters are only a problem if you play with cardboard pieces.
The color of most objects doesn't matter - once they have been placed onto the board, so they are not a problem either. And once you paint your own miniatures, they can belong to any player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Iron
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the base set and paladins expansion and we use the following room selection method (the idea comes from Citadels when played by two players):

1. Mix up all the 16 rooms
2. One room is removed at random
3. Decide which player goes first (we usually throw one portcullis marker up if the "broken" side is face up then the player who chose the broken side beforehand starts if the "open" side is face up then the other player starts choosing the rooms)
4. The starting player looks at all the rooms and removes the room that is missing its pair (discard pile)
5. The starting player chooses a room and its pair and places them face down in the "game pile" (these will be the rooms that will be included in the game)
6. The second player chooses a room and its pair and places them face down in the game pile then chooses a room and its pair and places them in the discard pile.
7. This goes on until 8 rooms are chosen for the game pile

We really like this room selection method as this way the players cannot be sure what the other has chosen. On the other hand, all rooms will have their pair in the game as I consider the rotating strategy a very important part of DT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Warren
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My whole family loves this game, and it's always nice to see people pick it up. Just to warn you - there's going to be a second edition of DT (featuring miniatures as standard components) coming out soon - while it will be backwards compatible it might make sense to wait for the new version comes out (either to pick it up or to get DT1 stuff at clearance prices).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linus Eriksson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes I use every room at random from all expansions on a 2*3 board using the chaos ring markers from the 7th or 8th expansion. And it works just fine . I still prefer the 2*3 over 2*4 for a faster experience perfect for introducing new players I even got my girlfriend to love dt!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua 龙海峰 Hockaday
China
常常在三台,绵阳 (Santai, Mianyang) 有时候在成都(Chengdu)
四川 (Sichuan)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I created an Any Board Variant that lets you easily play with any number of boards boards from any expansion (including just one) or to randomize the pairing of the boards within an expansion.

You don't have to play with boards paired in the way the game pairs them. You use tokens to pair the boards. This basically unhooks the pairing that comes with the game, randomly re-hooks the board to another board that is being used in your game, and allows you to still twist the newly paired boards.

There are really two variants. One that keeps the original twisting direction from the board, meaning that the paired boards might both twist in the same direction. The other has arrows on the tokens that pair the boards so that they twist in opposite directions like the standard system in Dungeon Twister.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.