uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I have posted the latest version of the rules on our website at http://academy-games.com/index.php/rules-a-updates/rule-book...

We have incorporated many of the suggestions sent to us by users in the past few months. This update mainly includes rule clarifies, along with 3 rule updates. These clarifications and updates have been highlighted in yellow for your convenience.

A lot of work was put in by the CoH team to give you this streamlined version 022009. I hope it helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the highlighted areas the thing that have been added since the printing of the rulebook or just since the last update?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pombeiro
Portugal
Sao Joao do Estoril
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible to put on the Portuguese rules the correct description: Brazilian Portuguese ruleset?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry Manuel, my ignorance there. I will make the change. What is the difference between the two?
Similar to Spain and Mexico?
Uwe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The highlighted changes are since the printing of the rulebook. I did not highlight all of the verbiage changes, if they were just slight rewording issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, thanks Uwe!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stymie says, "No Fidgets"
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Nobody down here 'cept us dummies"
badge
"Betcha can't throw that donut on my finger"
mb
Re: Rules v 02 2009 - Soviet SMG PPSh
So....I see these units went back to the original specs (as opposed to the Q&A comments on the website and the Jan 10 2009 beta rules). I've marked up my counters (with a sharpie, that was dumb) to cost of fire 3 & range 3. That's how we've been playing.

Question to Uwe: Are 4 & 6 (respectively) the way we should be playing moving forward?

Question to all you CoH gamers: What numbers do you assign to PPSh when you play and/or what do you think about this issue?

BTW - Absolutely LOVE the game, Uwe. Obsessed really. I picked up The Marsh from my FLGS yesterday. My 11 yr old son begs daily to play. Wish I always had time to comply!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Sardoeira
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
uweeickert wrote:
Sorry Manuel, my ignorance there. I will make the change. What is the difference between the two?
Uwe

the differences are mostly with the verbal tenses and if the speech is in second person of singular (Pt-Pt) or second person of plural (Pt-Br). I don't know the difference between Spain and Mexico.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pombeiro
Portugal
Sao Joao do Estoril
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crashburner wrote:
uweeickert wrote:
Uwe

the differences are mostly with the verbal tenses and if the speech is in second person of singular (Pt-Pt) or second person of plural (Pt-Br). I don't know the difference between Spain and Mexico.

As João says!! Thanks Uwe!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
what are the three rules updates in a nutshell?

-E
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Beck
Germany
Tuebingen
flag msg tools
mbmb
What I would find helpful would be a nicer page size/layout for easier printing. DIN A4 comes to mind, since who has a printer that does 8.5"x11"?
at least the online pdf's could include such a version.

At the moment, printing this strange page-size (on standard DIN A4) ends up with a really small font size and a lot of unused space on the paper.

Would you consider a reformatting?
(I know, it would need a different layout etc., but the current format is just way too unusual for printing yourself)

Does anybody else think this way?

I'd find that really helpful and a lot easier on my eyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Klein
Germany
Schoenaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
8.5"x11" is the standard letter format, so probably every american printer uses this format instead of A4.

However, Uwe, if there will be a new version of the german rules, would it be possible to change them to A4?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramon Zarate
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mb
Its nice that the changes are highlighted, however, for the change that now allows group actions without the extra CAP, well... there is nothign highlighted! (I figure since it was just removed). This makes it confusing to catch all the rule changes.

It would be nice to have a summary of the rules that have actually changed somewhere. (Reading the whole manual with attention is harder the 10th time or so).

I am also curious as to why now the group actions are for "free"... won't this change the balance in some firefights, like, say, scenario 2?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael kneis

New York
msg tools
Thanks for the new rules. This game is better than ice cream, and I really like ice cream......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DJ
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baron162 wrote:
What I would find helpful would be a nicer page size/layout for easier printing. DIN A4 comes to mind, since who has a printer that does 8.5"x11"?.

Being from Europe I can see what your complaint is about since DIN A4 is common there, But, here in North America (US & Canada) our standard is 8.5" x 11". With Academy Games based in the US I would say that their publishing software is probably set to publish .PDF files in our standard format.

Have you tried playing around with the Adobe Reader settings? I believe this may help for Printing 8.5 x 11 Documents on A4 Paper.

Within the Adobe Acrobat software, go to the File/Print... menu. This dialog offers an option to automatically adjust the size of the page. Depending on what version of Acrobat you have, the option may be called Shrink to Fit, Fit to Page, or Shrink oversized pages to paper size. This option allows Acrobat to adjust the size of the 8.5 x 11 formatted page to print on A4 paper. Once you have checked the box, you may then click on OK to print.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ogrim wrote:
8.5"x11" is the standard letter format, so probably every american printer uses this format instead of A4.

However, Uwe, if there will be a new version of the german rules, would it be possible to change them to A4?

Just set the 'input' setting to 'letter' and the 'output' setting to 'A4' and your printer will print it out fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Holmes
United Kingdom
Shipley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Uwe

I've just downloaded the latest version of the rulebook and noticed one potential small error.

In section 13.0 Smoke 3rd Paragraph it reads 'Units receiving fire from, going through, or ending in a 1st turn smoke hex receive a +1 DRM'

Shouldn't that be '2nd turn smoke hex'?

Love the game!

Cheers ... Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
0,07 Geek Gold
Italy
flag msg tools
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilità
badge
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilità
mbmbmbmbmb
As usual great work from Academy Games, thanks Uwe! congratulation also for the new website!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Beck
Germany
Tuebingen
flag msg tools
mbmb
Oh, I printed out the german rules version and there it was not letter format but the format of the actual rule book, so i concluded (mistakenly) that 8.5x11 was that almost square format.

Now I used the new english version and letter is already a big improvement over that. So thank you nevertheless :)

A german DIN A4 would still be great ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher S.
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Regarding B), how has the game been playing with that change? I must admit that I found the the steep cost of group moves inhibited my enjoyment of the game a bit - tactically it was frequently appealing, but the way command is modeled could make it a crippling prospect. I guess I never felt that "history" justified this, so I'm happy to see it go.

Basically I'm ready to dive back in, but I may need to sell my opponents on accepting the change - I know it came from the "top", but inertia and all that - so I'd like some talking points.

Regards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Gator
United States
Apopka
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uwe

Any chance you will post a Play Summary that is now consistent with these latest rules. The original was really nice and I would like to have one to help me teach the game to a new player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Ramito wrote:
Its nice that the changes are highlighted, however, for the change that now allows group actions without the extra CAP, well... there is nothign highlighted! (I figure since it was just removed). This makes it confusing to catch all the rule changes.

It would be nice to have a summary of the rules that have actually changed somewhere. (Reading the whole manual with attention is harder the 10th time or so).

Yeah. I was going crazy, rereading the group action section in the latest rules thinking "I would swear there was something about a 1 CAP cost here..."

Then I reread the original paper rules and saw it, and was like WTF? So I check online and finally see it was removed with no indication in the latest rules.

A summary of changes in each rule edition would definitely be a Good Thing.

Also, PLEASE don't use "Ex." - every time I see it, I have to figure out if it means "Example" or "Exception".

I THINK it always means "Example" now, but it's often not clear. "E.g." is a more standard and unambiguous abbreviation for "Example". Or you could even use a few extra letters and actually use the utterly clear word "Example" instead of an abbreviation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.