Popular Tags: [View All]
Juanlu Bermudez
Spain
Málaga
Málaga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. I wonder if this game involves creativity in the palazzo building. I know it's all about a grid where you place tetris-like pieces, but ¿does it involves some creativity like, let's say, Alhambra's tile laying?

I definitely love that creative aspect, cause, even if you are loosing, you still can say: "yeah, but my city looks awesome!".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In most cases the placement of pieces in the "Tetris" grid is irrelevant. Many times I play a game and only place 2 or 3 pieces there so I could have done anything without it being a problem. It's only a challenge when a player is running a building-heavy strategy and then, yes, there is an art to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Alhambra, the tle you acquire are not totally under your control, and you may acquire them for reasons other than shape/connectivity. This means you must be "creative" in balancing layout versus the area influence game.

In Princes of Florence, you can always buy the buildings you want (if they are available), and you only buy the landscapes you want (if you win the auction). Therefore, you never have to deal with placing stuff you acquired for other purposes. The only time I could see an Alhambra-like situation is if you tried to bid up a landscape to force an opponent to pay more for something, but they let you have it instead. But since landscapes have no placement restrictions, it's a minor concern for layout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Somewhat ironically there is very little creativity in Princes of Florence. It is a very tight and unforgiving efficiency game. Having a nice courtyard will provide you little solace as your artists churn out lumps of misshapen clay and try to pass them off as art while your opponents are producing works that put the Mona Lisa to shame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juanlu Bermudez
Spain
Málaga
Málaga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Then, what's the purpose of all those tetris haped pieces if it is not to put you in some trouble? Don't tell me that is like building in Puerto Rico!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have 0 or 1 builders, then your buildings cannot touch. If you have 2 or more builders, then your buildings can touch. Landscapes (parks, lakes, and forests) can touch at will. You must decide, based on your short- and long-term plans, how to fit the various things together.

Say you decide early that you will acquire 2 builders. You may plan to abut several buildings. But, since builders are auctioned, perhaps the other players won't let you have them cheaply. If you change your plans, how will you now use the space? I suppose this is creativity at some level, but it's far from Carcassonne's shared tile-laying tactics.

Edit: Fixed typo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hemp wrote:
Then, what's the purpose of all those tetris haped pieces if it is not to put you in some trouble? Don't tell me that is like building in Puerto Rico!

No more thought is required than that - you can't move the buildings once placed for a start. It can get a bit tricky to place the buildings at times - also the building rules change when you acquire "builder" tokens.

But like Ekted says it is not like Alhambra, where you sometimes end up buying a tile for majority purposes and have heaps of trouble placing - and then there's the wall to consider as well. In PoF you can be much more selective about the buildings acquired.

Hope this helps - it is a great game though - I think the auction/planning component, and the lack of actions is the real strength of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:

Say you decide early that you will acquire 2 builders. You may plan to abut several buildings. But, since buildings are auctioned, perhaps the other players won't let you have them .

No they're not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
ekted wrote:

Say you decide early that you will acquire 2 builders. You may plan to abut several buildings. But, since buildings are auctioned, perhaps the other players won't let you have them .

No they're not.

It was a typo. Obviously, I meant builders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
ekted wrote:

No they're not.

It was a typo. Obviously, I meant builders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.