Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: watching [+] bsg [+] [View All]
Stoodster
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if something like this has been posted yet (there's just too much to read). And I haven't yet played a game using the Sympathizer loyalty card. But it seems that it would take some of the fun out of the game for whoever was stuck being a nerfed cylon. And I'm not such a big fan of the official variant. It's alright, but lowering human resources from the beginning of the game seems to just make things even more difficult for the humans than if the card was left alone. So I was thinking that the Sympathizer card could be changed to read as follows:

If at least 1 resource is half full or lower (red) you are moved to "The Brig" location. Otherwise, you must choose to reduce 1 resource to half full (red) and you are moved to "The Brig" location.

Basically this card just ensures that at least one human resource is in the red halfway through the game and that someone is thrown in the brig. This would fit with the theme of being a cylon sympathizer: you somehow helped the cylons reduce human resources and were found out. And if you are an unrevealed cylon who got this card you could cause some serious damage. What do you guys think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thomason
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I rather like it. I'm not sure if it's strong enough, having only played a few games so far.

I definitely think though that you're right, it takes some fun out of the game for the player "who gets stuck being a nerfed cylon". We found that in our last game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe all dials go down 1 if they're in the red, and 2 if they're in the blue after the sleeper phase. This way the humans can still go for maximum efficiency.

Plus putting someone in the brig.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Crowe
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play using the no-sympathiser variant from FFG, where humans start with lower food, morale and population. It works just great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrowe wrote:
We play using the no-sympathiser variant from FFG, where humans start with lower food, morale and population. It works just great.

Until the humans win under this variant, I'm reserving judgment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hall
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the following:

The player who gets the Sympathizer card reveals it immediately and is sent to the Brig. Then that player must adjust dials down according to the following chart:

4 player game
0 Revealed Cylons: Move up to 3 Blue non-fuel resources down 1 level
1 Revealed Cylon: Move any 1 non-fuel resource down 1 level

6 player game
0 Revealed Cylons: Move all 3 non-fuel resources down 1 level
1 Revealed Cylon: Move up to 2 Blue non-fuel resources down 1 level
2 Revealed Cylons: Move any 1 non-fuel resource down 1 level

The number of resources to move probably needs some adjusting, but the idea is that the Sleeper phase hurts the humans more if there are revealed cylons. This would encourage Cylon players to remain unrevealed and humans to be more suspicious which seems to be the best part of the game. This also would help adjust for games where cylons are not dealt out initially and the humans have an easier time in the early stages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoodster
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Interesting idea. I was trying to keep the changes to the Sympathizer card minimal. But this seems like it would work too. I love anything that raises the paranoia. The exact numbers might need some fine tuning, but I like the idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
stoodster wrote:
If at least 1 resource is half full or lower (red) you are moved to "The Brig" location. Otherwise, you must choose to reduce 1 resource to half full (red) and you are moved to "The Brig" location.

I like this variant a lot. In the 6-player games that I have played and observed, the players were always striving to get at least one resource in the red, which meant that they were playing against the spirit of the game. And the effect was virtually always that one resource was just in the red, and the rest was in the blue.

With this variant, the humans do not need to worry about losing some resources. They can simply play the game as it is intended. If anything, before the sleeper phase they can decide to simply ignore one of the resources, assuming that that is the one that is going to be put in the red. In the end, at the time of the sleeper agent phase, the game situation will be exactly the same, regardless whether before the sleeper agent phase one resource was in the red or not.

Furthermore, in my experience three humans will lose from three Cylons, while four humans have a sporting chance against two Cylons. So the three-against-three situation should be avoided by the rules. Besides, playing a nerfed Cylon is not much fun, and it adds an extra layer of complexity.

The proposed variant is the one I am going to play from now on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.