Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Kumpf
United States
Centreville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to actually make one of my five ideas playtest-able and am having trouble with initial ratios (I say initially because undoubtedly I wouldn't know if they were right without playing it at least once, but hopefully many times).

Anyways, it's a tile laying game where you connect paths (in the most vague sense). Now I need tiles that have 2 connectors, 3, 4, and even ones that dead-end. In addition of those tiles I need special ones that help the players win the game as well as some that don't do anything at all as opposed to the majority which affect the players.

Right now I'm working on 2-6 players with 90 tiles to work with. Any help on finding good starting ratios.

If anyone has any questions or need more clarification to fully help I'd be happy to oblige. Also, if you need to know more about the theme and mechanics I'm working with I can also help out there, I don't want to initially say it, not because of fear of infringement but this is the only game out of five that I've been super excited about and would much rather give more out when I realize I have a workable game on my hands.

Anyways, thanks in advance for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Raven
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
My advice would be to just jump in, make a quick and dirty set of tiles, and play test it a couple times. If you have a rough idea of the ratio you think would work (and it is your game, so you would know) start with that.

If the game has 90 tiles, you probably dont just want 18 of each type (18*5=90). So, make 30 of each type to start. Make em cheap and quick, just out of paper, photocopy or print, and cut em out.

Start with an even ratio (18 of each) and play. See how it works. Probably not well. Then play with it, and play again. and again, and again.

Play by yourself, and see what happens. Just play fast and dirty, laying out tiles at random and see how it comes out.

That is how i figure ratios in my games. I am always amazed how what I thought would work in the design stage doesnt equate to what works best in real play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Kumpf
United States
Centreville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's what I'm pretty much doing now, though it is and will be nice to have some input and a little direction in what I'm doing.

Theoretically the ratios I have now will work, I hope it transfers over to that during playtesting.

Anyways, thanks for your input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.