United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:User Review
Game Geek (#4726),
John,
Thanks for the article. I'm a huge fan of Vortex and Sack Armies and don't think they get the credit they deserve due to their (as you put it) "esoteric" nature. The 'block games' by Columbia are incredible games with the same stigma associated (which I find tragic). You mention that one of the issues with Vortex is the "strategic placement rules" and the extra dimension it brings as well as the possibility of the "I didn't see that" effect. That is exactly what I find so wonderful about these games. I love some of the CCG's out there but always wished they had a more placement oriented feel (Columbia's historical card games were a step in the right direction). This is obviously the boardgamer in me wanting the best of all worlds. As a note, I never played Obsidian Lords but it sounds pretty lame...I hope it didn't scare anyone away from Sack Armies or Vortex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Geek (#4726),
I have all three games...Vortex, Obsidian Lords, and Sack Armies.
Sack Armies is pretty good and plays more like a miniatures game crossed with a virtual board game.
Vortex is a fine game, and one my wife enjoys the most. I find that if I don't read the text carefully on my opponents tiles I can be in for a nasty surprise. It is more of a virtual board/tile laying game. Obsidian Lords has a few problems. I bought tons of little boosters. this game is unbalanced. Some characters are way too strong...there is much too much book keeping, and the magic items in most cases, cost the same as regular ones, so that someone who has purchased a lot of these boosters and has a lot in his inventory will have an advantage over the poor bum who has only a starter and a couple of other packs. Sack Armies deals with rarity issues well... and in Vortex the great tiles usually cost a lot to enter play. Obsidian Lords also suffers in terms of artwork. It is a D & D wannabee that just didn't deliver.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Smulling
United States
Cranston
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Geek (#4726),

Just on a side note... Fantasy Flight Games has (or is) coming out with another Vortex product called Maelstrom wich contains on of every common and starter flats. It's designed for two people to play out of the box and I believe can be added to with Vortex boosters.???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schell
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hexors was made with both YuGiOh and Justice League characters. Neither set seems to have much of a following. Hexors seems too simple to be much fun to me.
Dungeon Dice monsters also came out. It uses dice and miniatures based on YuGiOh characters that move around on modular paths. DDM didn't bomb as bad as Hexors but it's not very popular either.
There were also Jax; the collectible jacks, Beanz; the collectible racing beans, and NakNaks; the collectible square stacking figures. Jax bombed. Beanz and NakNaks did OK for awhile.
I'm sure there are other examples but since none are memorable it may be safe to assume that nothing overtook the Mage Knight/Clix regime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schell
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hexors was made with both YuGiOh and Justice League characters. Neither set seems to have much of a following. Hexors seems too simple to be much fun to me.
Dungeon Dice monsters also came out. It uses dice and miniatures based on YuGiOh characters that move around on modular paths. DDM didn't bomb as bad as Hexors but it's not very popular either.
There were also Jax; the collectible jacks, Beanz; the collectible racing beans, and NakNaks; the collectible square stacking figures. Jax bombed. Beanz and NakNaks did OK for awhile.
I'm sure there are other examples but since none are memorable it may be safe to assume that nothing overtook the Mage Knight/Clix regime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kohr
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Geek (#4726), I think your definition of CTGs is a bit too narrow. Fantasy Flight had been selling Disk Wars for, I think, a year and a half before Vortex came out. There were at least 5 different disk games: Disk Wars, Disk Wars L5R, Deadlands Disk Wars, Star Trek: Red Alert, and a starship combat game based on the Twilight Imperium setting. Most (maybe all?) of these came out before Vortex. When Vortex was released, I looked at it as just another disk game--until I got to play it, and got hooked. Unfortunately, all the disk games started to tank around the time Vortex appeared....

I suppose you could classify all the Disk Wars games as being basically miniatures games, and Vortex and Sack Armies as being more like boardgames because you construct the board as you play. But Obsidian Lords sounds like more of a cardgame, with no actual "map". Is that right?

I actually didn't hear about Sack Armies until well after FFG announced they'd stop producing more Vortex. And I didn't know unti just now that Obsidian Lords was also a CTG. So thanks for writing your article!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.