Popular Tags: [View All]
Ned Leffingwell
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brown Bear, Panda Bear – A parent’s review

My mom gave this game to my daughter for Christmas. I noticed that there was no review so I though I would add one.

Brown Bear, Panda Bear What Do You See? is a simple memory game based on the books by Eric Carle. Eric Carle creates gorgeous children’s books and I highly recommend his works to anyone with children from ages 1 to 6.

Overview:

Brown Bear, Panda Bear is a game for 2-4 players. The age range is 3 up. No reading is required to play the game.

Components:

In the game box you get the rules, a mounted quad-fold board, 36 cardboard tokens, and a cardboard box insert. The cardboard tokens are thick and have an animal and the animal’s name on one side and a rainbow pattern on the back. The artwork looks great and is identical to the artwork from the books that the game is based on. The board and pieces are put together well. My daughter is 2 and ½ and we let her play with the pieces on her own. They are showing no signs of wear yet.

Game-play:

The game-play is simple; each player is either a brown bear or a panda bear. They take either a brown bear token or a panda bear token. Then the player sits behind their side of the board. The remaining tokens are arranged face-down in the middle of the board. The brown bears and panda bears each have certain animals that they are trying to find.

On a player’s turn he/she turns over a token. If it is an animal that they are looking for, they place it on the appropriate spot on their side of the board and then they get to go again. Play then passes to the next player.

When a player collects all of the animals that they are looking for, they then recite the animals that they have collected, i.e. “I see a red bird, yellow duck, etc.” This final recitation mimics the storyline of the books.

Final Thoughts:

The game is a simple memory game so why buy this one as apposed to the myriad other memory games out their? The main reason I would give is the artwork. I would recommend this game to anyone who is familiar with the books. I like Eric Carle’s artwork and the game pieces show it off nicely. If your child has read the books they will love reciting all the animals. This game would also be a great addition to any pre-school classroom/day care/ Sunday school.

The one downside is that I’m sure some tokens will get lost over time. Since there are two sets of brown bear tokens and two sets of panda bear tokens you will probably get some extra longevity out of the game, even if you have to reduce the number of maximum players.

Overall I think it is a solid matching exercise for young children and a beautiful game. If your kids like Eric Carle books, pick it up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a nice, light little exercise for young kids. Brown Bear, Brown Bear is our toddler's current favourite book, and both our boys love Eric Carle's work. I think I'll track this down for our younger son.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
"Yeah I killed women and children, killed everything that walks or crawls at one time or another and I'm here to kill you Little Bill"
badge
"It's a Sicilian message. It means Luci Brasi sleeps with the fishes."
mbmbmbmbmb
My two and half year old received Brown Bear - Panda Bear for Christmas. It is her first game and I have been pleasantly surprised at how much she enjoys playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.