Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first season my wife and I loved every episode and could hardly wait till the next episode. Save the cheerleader, save the world!

Season Two slipped , and Season 3 was a disaster .

Now its more like going to the same funeral week after week after week. snore

My wife doesn't like the constant CharacterX is a good, CharacterX is a bad -- Rinse, repeat.

I don't care for all the time-travel into the future because they don't seem to be able to stay true to their own stories. Oh, and that funky symbol that was showing up on people's tattoos, jewelry and such in the first season just sort of dried up and blew away.

For something positive to say, this season does not have the whiny twins running from the law. yuk

So, week after week my wife and I grasp at the faint hope that the show will again become worth watching.

Maybe if they had Claire cooking bacon while wearing a bikini... (don't worry, she will heal from any splatter burns, and she doesn't feel pain)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendrick Martin
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was a heroes fan until I realized I had to watch every episode or I'd be totally lost. I don't mind a few shows where they have a season-long story arc, but it seems like these days every show does it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroes is the only "TV" show I watch even though I don't have a TV. I catch up on Hulu the day after broadcast but, like you, I'm about done. It is however, like a train wreck. I can't not watch it but I've found myself surfing while it's playing in another window. Season 1 good...now it borders on ridiculous.

Instead of jumping the shark, I'd wish it had eaten them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthew.marquand wrote:
Heroes is the only "TV" show I watch even though I don't have a TV. I catch up on Hulu the day after broadcast but, like you, I'm about done. It is however, like a train wreck. I can't not watch it but I've found myself surfing while it's playing in another window. Season 1 good...now it borders on ridiculous.

Almost the same here -- we watch Heroes and "The Office" -- though we are renting the "Six Feet Under" DVDs, which I guess sorta qualifies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
We were big fans, but we have a 8-10 episode backlog on the PVR.

I think we still intend on watching it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
It peaked with season one... Every season since has been less interesting and less engaging than the one before. The black-and-white, exaggerated, hyperbolic statements and melodrama seemed appropriate in season one. Now it seems heavy-handed, repetitive and overbearing.

We find ourselves saying things like "Uh... sure... whatever..." a lot during the show. I think it's got 1 or 2 more episodes to try to redeem itself, then we'll shift focus to something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We watched the first season and thought it was pretty damn entertaining. I know some people complained about the end of season 1, but I really liked it--they actually stuck to their story arch, and (gasp) actually drew it to a conclusion instead of resorting to the ever-used cop out of the season-ending cliff-hanger that then really isn't resolved the next season but just kind of "cleaned-up."

We watched the shortened season 2 and also thought it wasn't as good as season 1, mostly less focused, but still not too bad. We stopped watching cold after about the 2nd episode of season 3. I think it was right after Peter was now bad but in the future, but it's because Scylar was now good but in the future but then everyone dies and explodes, but that was only the future, so now we're in the present, but hey maybe Scylar is good and is Clair going to be bad now, and who the hell is the main bad guy in this again? It's not Peter and Nathan's mom is it? Oh, no it's their dad. Right, okay. *roll eyes*, *change channel*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
ynnen wrote:

We find ourselves saying things like "Uh... sure... whatever..." a lot during the show. I think it's got 1 or 2 more episodes to try to redeem itself, then we'll shift focus to something else.

Any ideas what else? The only other shows we record to watch are House and Fringe. I sometimes feel like I'm missing something, although most of the time I feel like all I'm missing is having my time wasted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
The series was set up for failure from the very beginning: All they managed to do in the beginning was to slow down the inevitable.

In their search for cool, the writers gave characters powers that make any serious plot developments very hard. Let's just look at Hiro: someone who can time travel, teleport and (mostly)stop time. Powers like that make someone god-like. If he ever actually understood what was going on, he'd make any other character's actions irrelevant. So, season after season, the writers have to force him to be unaware of what is going on, or in some way incapacitated. A writer that is force to have a character like that on every episode is just shackled: No matter what cool plot he might come up with, he'll always have to either make him irrelevant, or have a deus ex machina moment.

And he's not just the only character like that, he's just the one that does the most damage to the storyline, even if he's entertaining to watch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And don't forget Claire--she can't be killed. Even though they had to save her in season 1...? And now Peter and Scylar have absorbed that power--and can't die either. Where's the drama in this again? I actually thought that ep where the guy had the power to make little vortexes was cool because they thought of a way to actually kill Claire or Scylar. But it's just like hibikir said, it's really just proof of the extents they have to go to to write around these characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Frothingslosh
Canada
Caledon
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the first season on DVD, and I am enjoying watching the odd episode when I get the chance. I sadly never got to watch the entire first season while it was actually on TV.

I watched only bits and pieces of season two, which left me scratching my head.

Season three - I watched about 15 minutes of an episode before realizing I was completely lost.

Given what I'm reading here, I think I will be happy to treat my first season DVD as the 'complete series', and ignore the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see this a lot with season 3 of TV shows. By season 3, you have to make some kind of changes, to avoid being boring, and a lot of people will either love or hate the changes - and the ones that hate them will be most vocal.

Season 1 was very innovative for network TV. After you ride the crest of that for a season, how do you follow that up? You can't have the same level of uniqueness & innovation in the next season, or you have a completely different show.

I'm still watching & enjoying the show. Heroes & Battlestar Galactica are "my shows" right now, and I'll follow them through to the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The power arms race ramp up went way too fast. You had Hiro, who was insanely powerful. You add in Syler to counter him a bit, Nathan to counter Sylar, Nathan's dad to counter Nathan... before too long everyone on the show was so damn powerful that they couldn't do a whole lot with the plots anymore. The sense of direction and how the subplots tied together early on just isn't there anymore.

I still watch it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Galactica is actually doing better, after they went away from the IMO rather terrible arc that was all about Starbuck's love life. They don't have a clear plan, but at least the series is not self destructing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
Galactica is actually doing better, after they went away from the IMO rather terrible arc that was all about Starbuck's love life. They don't have a clear plan, but at least the series is not self destructing.

It's over either way at the end of this season. I also stopped watching that show at the beginning of last season. The show already had little to know actual SciFi in it, but it was a damn fine drama--Season 1 especially. But when they started the whole extended story arch on New Caprica, that's when they lost me. No SciFi at all and now we're going to have actual suicide bombings? Real subtle. Plus seriously, I don't mind some drama in a show, but when you start getting to ER levels of oh-my-god-our-lives-our-so-terrible, you lose me. I'm mean c'mon, why hasn't anyone just driven that whole ship into an asteroid and put them all out of their misery.

I also think that it's one of those cases where they felt like they needed to keep going somewhere, but didn't have a long term plan. I mean come on--chief and XO are actually Cylons?? How EFing lame. You've completely wiped away the meaning of your story up until now--Chief agonized over loving a Cylon, but he didn't, but he did!--but who cares cuz he was really a Cylon the whole time. Du-Umb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
BoB3K wrote:
No SciFi at all

What kind of crazy headed definition of sci-fi do you use?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't sci-fi just a tool to be able to explore human nature in ways that a normal setting won't allow? It's always been about exploring the people, not the gadgets.

Galactica has a few major points that make it sci-fi. A human race mostly obliterated. An alien enemy that is both like us and unlike us. The inability to even know your own allegiance.

It might not be good, but it definitely uses sci-fi tools to move forward. It's a lot more sci-fi than Star Wars, which, without the Force, could be made into a western or a samurai movie, keeping the same characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
BoB3K wrote:
No SciFi at all

Zoe: Honey, you live in a spaceship.

Wash: So?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
Isn't sci-fi just a tool to be able to explore human nature in ways that a normal setting won't allow?

Exactly, and what was not a normal setting about New Caprica? It was a group of humans being oppressed by another group of (for all intensive purposes) humans. Just cuz you say someones a robot, but then they act 100% like a human doesn't make it SciFi. I will admit that the way they rebirth is SciFiy. That's why I said almost.

There has never really been any SciFi in BSG beyond the setting, and once they got to New Caprica, the setting wasn't even SciFi--it was a prison camp in a dusty field.

Although SciFi can be just setting, good SciFi is much more than just setting. If you want good SciFi, go look at a book by Vernor Vinge, Orson Scott Card, Robert Heinlein, Issaic Asimov.

In my opinion the closest thing BSG ever had to SciFi was the Number 6 in Belthesar's head, which unless they've revealed something recently since I stopped watching, never went anywhere with. I did like how The number 6 back on the Cylon homeworld had a Belthesar in her head, but in the end that just confused the issue more as they didn't explain that either did they?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Keuler
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back on topic . . .

I thought this week's episode was great and feel like they are starting to refocus and get back to what worked. I'm looking forward to where things develop with the rest of this seasons' episodes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I am ashamed to admit that I still watch it. No, it doesn't make any sense.

Maybe the writers have woken up and realized that they could not have insanely powerful characters at their level of story telling. So Hiro looses his powers of time travel, and Peter looses his powers of absorbing every power (to only keeping one at a time). They still need to do something about Sylar though.

What gets me about this season is the retconning going on. Nathan and HRG keep changing their motivations. Parkman now has the ability to draw the future. Traci is a perfectly identical triplet. Mohinder is not a fly anymore.

Also, the overall arc is rather weak this season. The secret government is out to get them! Boring!! This show has the same problem as 24. Once you have gone nuclear, it is hard to come up with an even more scary problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
We will sing to you Doctor... the universe will sing you to your sleep.
mbmbmbmbmb

I finally just deleted all of the unwatched Heroes episodes that had been stacking up on the DVR.

Once I realized that I'd been trying to like the show for far too long, and wasn't looking forward to wading my way through the backlog - away they went. It was actually kinda fun/freeing to hit that delete key...

DVR: "are you SURE you want to delete..."
me: YES!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find Heroes very comic-book like.

Over-ramping up of powers? Check
Retconning? Check
Handling time travel in inconsistent ways? Check
Emotionally simple characters? Check
Grossly heavy handed political commentary? Check
Clumsy Deus Ex Machina to fix the plot being painted into a corner? Check

That said, I still enjoy the show, I just don't take it seriously. I mean, it could be a lot worse. They could've gone with a "creature of the week" type format.

/I could say the same things about Lost and BSG, too. Both of which I also enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
BoB3K wrote:

There has never really been any SciFi in BSG beyond the setting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mentioned in my first post what bothered my wife. Here is my list:

The producers initially intended every season to be the stories of new characters. The characters from the previous season were to have died, moved on in their lives, or only played small roles. But because of the immense popularity of Season 1 characters, the plan was changed. I think this was a mistake, and left the writers and producer without a clear map to lead them.

This then led to the piling up of powers that so many have mentioned in this thread.

Then their is the associated issue of death. If we can't trust a dead person to stay dead, how can we become invested in them, how can we become concerned that they might die? The tension is completely lost.

And on a related subject: The reanimation of HRG (Claire's dad). Huh? The guy was shot through the eye, into the brain. So we know he wasn't hanging on. He was dead, not mostly dead. A dead body has no circulation. An IV will do nothing. And if we are to believe he could be brought back to life, why didn't they drag Daphne's body around until such time as they could splash a bit of Claire's blood on it.

So I have lost trust in the storytelling. They have not played fair. I think that putting some limits on Peter's powers is good. Syler is still too powerful.

If the producers can't bear to kill off their golden cows, I think the best answer is to have many of them go into permanent hiding, playing only marginal role while new characters awaken to discover that they aren't quite like the folks next door.

The biggest problem though goes well beyond all of this. Season 1 the goal was to save the world. Pretty heady stuff, and a bit hard to top. So what is the goal this season? I don't know about you, but I really haven't a clue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.