Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Jane Eyre - I was forced to read this 600 page behemoth in the 11th grade. Here's a quick sypnosis: Chick's childhood sucks, but then she works for a hottie millionaire. She falls in love with hottie millionaire. Hottie millionaire deceives her by pretending to be someone else and getting her to admit her love for him. Hottie millionaire reciprocates his feelings, but it turns out that he's married to a crazy woman who he keeps imprisoned in the freakin' attic. Chick moves on. Hottie's mansion burns down, wife dies. How convenient. Hottie rendered blind. How inconvenient. Chick returns to now-unwed hottie and does everything but wipe his butt for him. Hottie's eyesight miraculously returns. How convenient. The End. Yup, woman spending the rest of her life with a man who locks his spouse away is considered a happy ending. What the hell, dude?

2. Psych - My wife revealed to me that she tries not to watch this show when I'm around because she's tired about me bitching about it. Well, here's my thoughts on it: the premise is lame (and sort of co-opted by The Mentalist, though I haven't watched that one yet) and the main character is highly annoying. I want to punch him in the face, scream "how come you didn't see that coming?!", then feel immediate shame for coming up with such a lame thing to scream. Roger Dorn's in it as well. He doesn't dive for easy grounders. How can you respect a show that casts a man like that? Regardless, I love my wife for not watching this around me. Now if I would do the same for her when I watch Conan "How is this funny?" O'Brien.

3. [GENRE] Movie - While waiting in line to see Coraline, my wife and I were in front of two women studying the "Dance Movie" poster trying to point out all of the references. They couldn't remember the name of the movie where "the black guy teaches the white girl to dance". This went on for 10 minutes. I wanted to scream "Save the Last Dance" to shut them up, but then I would feel immediate shame for knowing that.

4. No Seltzer - We saw The Wrestler and Coraline at two different theaters within days of each other. As a sidenote, I highly recommend The Wrestler, and I don't even like wrestling. Anyways, we went to the concession stands of both ordering our usual large half-seltzer-half-Sprite. "Sorry, we don't have seltzer at this station." How is that possible? Every soda fountain has a button under the Cherry Coke tap that pours the seltzer sans syrup. Why do suddenly half the stations in theaters lack this ability? This economy haunts us all...

5. My Morning Jacket - I don't know why they're still on my iPod. I just don't delete stuff, but every time an MMJ song comes on, I clamor for the Skip button. They're terrible and boring. People who like them are terrible and boring. And offended.

6. Harusomething Murakami - One day, he said "despite knowing nothing of running a business, I think I'll open a jazz club" and he did, and it was successful. Then he got bored of it and said "despite having never written a word in my life, I'm going to become a writer" and he did, and it was wildly successful. What an asshole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cramer
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Erak, where can I subscribe to your blog? If you don't have one, you need one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teriyaki Donuts wrote:

Chit Chat is my blog for now at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tokio Hotel - Like the world needed another Boy George with less musical talent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:

...half-seltzer-half-Sprite.

Great idea, I'm going to try that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
erak wrote:

It's not bad. I'm a diet drinker, so regular soda is too sweet for me. I'm also hypersensitive to caffeine, so mixing seltzer with another drink seems to work out for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
jarredscott78 wrote:
erak wrote:

It's not bad. I'm a diet drinker, so regular soda is too sweet for me. I'm also hypersensitive to caffeine, so mixing seltzer with another drink seems to work out for me.

I don't like diet so this will effectively lower my sugar intake at the movies. I agree, they're too sweet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "he's pretending to be a psychic" is a very thin device to carry a show past even about 3 episodes. Getting past that though, we thought the show was pretty funny for most of season 1, but I think there's been some handing off of writing duties and the new guys are having trouble writing Sean as the Chevy Chase / Eddy Murphy goofball/prankser with a heart of gold character he's supposed to be and instead just making him look like an ass. Lately, he kind of reminds me a lot of Dane Cook, i.e. an ass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
1. Jane Eyre - I was forced to read this 600 page behemoth in the 11th grade. Here's a quick sypnosis: Chick's childhood sucks, but then she works for a hottie millionaire. She falls in love with hottie millionaire. Hottie millionaire deceives her by pretending to be someone else and getting her to admit her love for him. Hottie millionaire reciprocates his feelings, but it turns out that he's married to a crazy woman who he keeps imprisoned in the freakin' attic. Chick moves on. Hottie's mansion burns down, wife dies. How convenient. Hottie rendered blind. How inconvenient. Chick returns to now-unwed hottie and does everything but wipe his butt for him. Hottie's eyesight miraculously returns. How convenient. The End. Yup, woman spending the rest of her life with a man who locks his spouse away is considered a happy ending. What the hell, dude?

laugh

English teacher here. I've never bothered with Jane Eyre, and now, I probably never will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L C

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry folks. I'm going to start putting Prozac into Erik's lunches so he starts to mellow out a little.

Unless we prefer bitter, vindictive, grumpy, whiny Erik?

Love,
Dr. Bunsen Honeydew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L C

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teriyaki Donuts wrote:

I've been urging him to start a blog for forever, but he insists that he can't do stuff if it feels like an assignment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, not much to say here other than give you the spoiler for Hotel For Dogs:

The hotel is now restored thanks to donations from the people of the city, where dogs get all kinds of first class treatment. We see all the friends there working, and the dogs have jobs there too. The former foster parents are performing their music in the lounge. The kids and Friday are having dinner with Bernie and Carol in the roof garden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where's the violin emoticon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
erak wrote:

6. Harusomething Murakami - One day, he said "despite knowing nothing of running a business, I think I'll open a jazz club" and he did, and it was successful. Then he got bored of it and said "despite having never written a word in my life, I'm going to become a writer" and he did, and it was wildly successful. What an asshole.

Dude. Murakami Haruki kicks ass. I have my student's read his short story, "The Second Bakery Attack."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L C

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
1. Jane Eyre

Wow, I totally didn't pay attention to Jane Eyre when I read it, I guess.
I vaguely remember there was like, a guy and a girl and a person with the place and the thing, and that's about it. Moors. There were moors, yeah? Or was that Wuthering Heights?

erak wrote:

2. Psych

I don't care. Dule Hill is funny.

erak wrote:

3. [GENRE] Movie

Why DO you know it was Save the Last Dance?

erak wrote:

4. No Seltzer

The best was the first time it happened and you treated the person behind the counter like he was an idiot. "There's a button you push. It's like, on ALL soda machines you nincompoop."

erak wrote:

5. My Morning Jacket

Never got into MMJ. Do not have it on my iPod. I am better than you.

erak wrote:

6. Harusomething Murakami

You know, I am sure you and he would be great friends if you gave him a chance.

"“I don’t take rests,” Murakami says cheerfully. He wakes up at four every morning to write, and always exercises at least an hour a day. He writes fiction for five or six months of the year, and the rest of the time writes nonfiction or translates. "
from http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=509594
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L C

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:

Oh, and a movie was made based off of one of his short stories too. And he's been a writer-in-residence at Tufts and Harvard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eggplantia5 wrote:
Don't worry folks. I'm going to start putting Prozac into Erik's lunches so he starts to mellow out a little.

Love,
Dr. Bunsen Honeydew

An unbitter, nonvindicative, non-grumpy, never-whining erak is no erak at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
We will sing to you Doctor... the universe will sing you to your sleep.
mbmbmbmbmb
eggplantia5 wrote:

I'll take bitter, vindictive, grumpy and whiny please. Much more fun and infinitely more entertaining than medicated and mellow any day.

and if i haven't had my coffee, and it's early in the a.m., i will literally punch a perky person right in the face. die Rachael Ray! but i digress...

edit: wow, i need to stop taking breaks while writing posts...i've been upstaged three times today! Ah, well. Glad to see we agree Erak!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:

2. Psych - My wife revealed to me that she tries not to watch this show when I'm around because she's tired about me bitching about it. Well, here's my thoughts on it: the premise is lame (and sort of co-opted by The Mentalist, though I haven't watched that one yet) and the main character is highly annoying. I want to punch him in the face, scream "how come you didn't see that coming?!", then feel immediate shame for coming up with such a lame thing to scream. Roger Dorn's in it as well. He doesn't dive for easy grounders. How can you respect a show that casts a man like that? Regardless, I love my wife for not watching this around me. Now if I would do the same for her when I watch Conan "How is this funny?" O'Brien.

Oh Please. The following bit of dialogue from this show demonstrates how terribly wrong you are about it:

A person named Kenny Loggins (not the singer but a man with the same name and this is referred to many times during this eisode) is murdered and Shawn and Gus have just found out.

Gus: "Kenny Loggins is dead!"
Shawn: "So he's... not alright?"

How can you not love a show with dialogue like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
eggplantia5 wrote:
Of course we do! Don't you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn I guess I just didn't try hard enough this week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
ConnCon 2018 March 23, 24, 25 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
erak wrote:

Me too. If I've taken nothing else from this blog thread this could still be a win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:
The "he's pretending to be a psychic" is a very thin device to carry a show past even about 3 episodes.

I respect the 'pretending to be psychic' idea, since it isn't a 'psychic' show, which offends me on many levels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Secrest
United States
Clarksville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
Roger Dorn's in it as well. He doesn't dive for easy grounders. How can you respect a show that casts a man like that?

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eggplantia5 wrote:

Love,
Dr. Bunsen Honeydew

Oh, go for the modern stuff, SRIs are so yesterday. Go for an SNRI, like Effexor. Cool stuff! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.