Popular Tags: [View All]
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a battle report I wrote for my very first Battlelore game. I posted it on some other forums, but, I realize that it's place is really here, where people look for this kind of stuff to get a feel for these types of games.

This is Agincourt, the very first battle presented in the adventure book in the core boxed set of Battlelore. MY freind Steve and I are running the entire adventure book as a campaign (when we get together). We are keeping a grand total of all the victory points, with a bonus victory point being added for each battle won.

The Agincourt Campaign Part One: Agincourt
(Sorry some of the photos are blurry, the excitement of battle and all that!)

It was with much anticipation that two fledgling generals met across the battlefield. The seals of fresh new cards were cracked open, and dice that had never felt the turmoil of rolling were unveiled. The terms were set and the battle began…

Steve has a nice setup in his basement.

Needless to say, since I’m writing this it is going to have a distinct English point of view, as I can’t second guess what was going through my opponents mind during the battle.

Agincourt is a wonderfully designed scenario where the English benefit from the tactical advantage of superior firepower and position, while the French benefit from superior troop strength. As the English player I decided to use this to my advantage by taking a defensive stance for as long as I could, Steve was forced to march his powerful troops through my hail of arrows before he could have any chance of winning the day. My increased hand of command cards (my 6 to his 4) gave me a distinct tactical advantage that would serve me well until the end of the game.

The table set and ready to go.

Steve begins plotting his battle plan.

I started out with a well balanced hand that allowed me to activate troops across the board, and benefit from several beneficial tactic cards. Steve tried to advance his troops across the board as quickly as possible. I hit each advancing troop, in turn, with volley after volley of missile fire, and while the headcount wasn’t too impressive, I rolled a lot of flags. Every time he advanced he had to fall back, often loosing a troop or two in the exchange. The English drew first blood, and eventually the first victory point. The French Cavalry was my primary target (especially the Heavies) as the posed the greatest threat to my defensive position and chance of tying up my archers in melee.

Some very good starting cards for the English player.

The first casualty! Going for the tough guys right away.

The French try to advance.

Only to run into a hail of arrows!

The French finally get into melee on my left flank…

Only to get crushed on the right and earn the English the first victory point.

About two third of the way through the game it was looking like the English used its advantages wisely, and would take the day, but the tide was about to turn. Finally getting a good foothold across the battlefield the English found themselves with no where to run, and started to suffer under the onslaught of the French’s superior strength.

The French push the English against the battlefield border and begin making fleeing deadly for my troops!

Some lucky flag rolls manage to push the French all the way back to the opposite side of the battlefield once more…kills would have been much better however.

2 Victory points ahead, and my enemy pushed back, I was feeling pretty confident the battle was mine!

...and then the French scored a blow against my forces!

To my lament, my superior command card count started to be of little benefit as I began drawing cards that were of very little use to me in my current situation and available troop types. Still, I did manage to pull enough good cards to ensure victory...if the dice where all as lucky as this desperate attack by fleeing archers (using a less than stellar command card) that wiped out a unit of superior cavalry to win my 3rd victory point.

The Lore was blowing away from me as I drew one card after another that were less than dynamic for the forces I had on the board…

and yet, a lone archer musters his strength and fights valiantly, scoring a Victory point, despite using what I thought would be a throwaway card.

Only needing one victory point to win, every battle had the potential of winning the day. Unfortunately for the English, the French had finally managed to make it across the battlefield and held some superior tactical cards in reserve for this occasion. Attacking in force with fresh troops, the French Regulars succeeded where their cavalry failed.

Before I knew it the Frech attacked with a vengeance and the victory points were tied, then…

One turn later the French general, through wise tactical planning and a little luck of the dice, took two victory points and won the game!

game over!

The fatalities of battle may their poor souls rest in peace.

It was a thrilling battle! I knew that I had to be successful with my missile attacks and capture as many victory points as I could before his troops could advance. I knew Steve was a worthy opponent and has a great tactical mind and if he managed to make it across the board I would be in trouble. I think things went as well as any general could hope for (well, except the loss at the end). Things went my way for the first two thirds of the game, then for the last third things were a fair balance of give and take. It certainly looked like I would win when I was up 2 victory points and only needed to win one more on Steve’s wounded units had already taken losses. Alas Steve planned his final assault well and in the end crushed me.

Winner: French (+1 Victory Points)
Victory Points: French 4, English 3
Campaign total: French 5, English 3

and here are the standings since we started:

Battle #1
Winner: French (+1 Victory Point, added in)
Victory Points: French 5, English 3

Battle #2
Winner: English (+1 Victory Point, added in)
Victory Points: English 6, French 2

Battle #3
Victory Points: French 7, English 3

Battle #4
Victory Points: English 7, French 2 (Do Goblins count?)

Battle #5
Victory Points: French 7, English 3

Battle #6
Victory Points: French 7, English 1 (Stupid Spider!)

Battle #7
Victory Points: English 6, French 1 (a terrible blow to the leader!)

Campaign Total (so far): English 29, French 31

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Η
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Great report! It almost made me go out and buy the damn thing, expansions included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic paintjobs!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I may do another one the next game, using the new 3D table and all. I miss doing Warhammer battle reports...but I sure don't miss hauling around and setting up all those fragile miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nerotora wrote:
Great report! It almost made me go out and buy the damn thing, expansions included.

Almost?!

Well, at the very least you should get some games in on Vassal, that should put you over the top on that decision

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.