Subject: Recommendations for a New Board Gamer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Frutos
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm relatively new to boardgames. I started with Carcassonne about a year ago, but what really hooked me was Settlers of Catan. My game collection consists of the following:

Carcassonne
Settlers of Catan
Seafarers of Catan
Stone Age
Pandemic
Bohnanza
Hive

I'm looking for suggestions for 2-3 more games to add to my collection, and I'd like one of them to be a little heavier weight than the games I already own. I usually play with 2-4 players (my teenage son, my wife, and occassionaly my 8 year old) and enjoy player interaction. Here is what I'm thinking about:

Puerto Rico
Alhambra
Princes of Florence
Ra
Saint Petersburg
Chinatown
I'm the Boss
Lost Cities
Citadels

Any advice or suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

No
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Maybe
    Maybe
    No
    No
    Yes

I'd add Tikal to the list of considerations as well.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juanito
Spain
Córdoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, frutos.

I'll tell you about the ones i've played.

- Lost Cities: people tell me about it ant it was one of my "renewal" at boardgames after many years out. At first glance i felt moved opening my new game. Just the same playing our first games. But a couple of games after... . It's very well rated and i supposse everybody has his/her own opinion, but for me it's just a mathematical game. I remember "cinquillo", a game we play with usual decks (spanish or poker)... almost the same.

- Citadels: much better IMHO. You need at least four players; two or three can play, but not the same. I like the simple rules, the bluffing and interaction with other players (i can read your mind, Joe...). Quite good at usual party or with advanced players.

Hope this helps you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rowan Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mb
I'd start by going for Catan: Cities and Knights.

The games you're looking at are a fairly wide range of different types / styles. To expand the range a little further, I'd add Tigris and Euphrates, Agricola (better than Puerto Rico IMHO), and Brass.

The real question is, what did and didn't you like about the games you have? That might make it easier for people to work out what to recommend for you...

-R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Frutos
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good suggestion. Here is what I like about the games I own:

Carcassonne--I like the simple mechanics; haven't played it much recently.
Settlers of Catan-- I love the player interaction, the replayability, and the little/no downtime between turns
Seafarers of Catan--same as Settlers of Catan
Stone Age--I like the game mechanics and don't mind the dice rolling; I like how the game scales from 2-4 players
Pandemic--My first experience with a Co-op; nice for a change
Bohnanza--I like the player interaction
Hive--ok; haven't really gotten into this yet

I want to buy 2-3 more games and I want one of them to be a heavier weight game relative to the ones I already own. I also want to try out other game mechanics including a good bidding/auction game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bromie
United Kingdom
WARRINGTON
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Alhambra with my wife and kids so I'd definitely recommend that.
I'd also add Ticket to Ride (or TTR Europe) - again a good family game. Read the reviews though as some people seem to hate it. Zooloretto is also good - straightforward but with enough going on to keep everyone's interest. Finally I've just ordered Coloretto and Battle Line (both card games) - can't recommend them as I haven't played them but both are highly rated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Ra is a superb auction game that would probably work well for your group. It's out of print at the moment, but I think there should be a reprint in April/May.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Phillips
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you like Settlers, then Cities and Knights of Catan has to be an essential purchase. I don't really play the base game since getting C&K, it just adds so much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Smith
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Anthony,

Good list of gateway games you have there. I have most of what you have played and it seems we like similar things about those games. Here are my suggestions:

Alhambra: this is a fun game that for me, sort of takes tile-laying to the next level.
Downfall of Pompeii: this is a simple game but can surprisingly have a lot of strategy baked in as well. The player interaction is great!
Pillars of the Earth: I'm suggesting this one because you have Stone Age and like it. To me, Pillars was like the next rung on the heaviness ladder after Stone Age.

If you like Carcassonne, I would also suggest getting the first 2 expansions: Inns & Cathedrals and Traders & Builders. These 2 expansions add so much to the game, and for me take this game to a whole new level of fun. I like Carc, but I love it with these 2 expansions.

Have fun in the decision process!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary T.
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the ones you list, I like:
Puerto Rico - probably a little too heavy for an 8 year old
Alhambra - nice & light. I probably would avoid more than 4 players with this one.
Saint Petersburg
I'm the Boss! - an almost pure negotiation game. Fun, but mean.
Lost Cities - only 2-player. Lots of math in the scoring. A fun little game.
Citadels - another fun, but potentially mean game. I've only played it with 2 or 3, but it works well with those numbers.

I've also played Princes of Florence and Ra and don't really enjoy them. In PoF, I always feel like I don't know what I'm doing and in Ra it's difficult to know how much to bid and what to bid on.

I'd also like to recommend Yspahan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Frutos
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mtnhiker74 wrote:
Hi Anthony,

Good list of gateway games you have there. I have most of what you have played and it seems we like similar things about those games. Here are my suggestions:

Alhambra: this is a fun game that for me, sort of takes tile-laying to the next level.
Downfall of Pompeii: this is a simple game but can surprisingly have a lot of strategy baked in as well. The player interaction is great!
Pillars of the Earth: I'm suggesting this one because you have Stone Age and like it. To me, Pillars was like the next rung on the heaviness ladder after Stone Age.

If you like Carcassonne, I would also suggest getting the first 2 expansions: Inns & Cathedrals and Traders & Builders. These 2 expansions add so much to the game, and for me take this game to a whole new level of fun. I like Carc, but I love it with these 2 expansions.

Have fun in the decision process!

Thanks!
In fact I do own the two Carc expansions you mention (forgot to mention in my previous post) and agree that they add a lot to the base game.

Does anyone have experience playing Puerto Rico with 2-players? My teenager and I love games and are looking for something a step up in heaviness that plays well with 2-4 players. I don't know much about Pillars so I'll look into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frutos wrote:
Does anyone have experience playing Puerto Rico with 2-players? My teenager and I love games and are looking for something a step up in heaviness that plays well with 2-4 players.

In my experience Puerto Rico is OK with 2, but much better with more. Have you considered Race for the Galaxy? Although it's a card game, it's as heavy as Puerto Rico, scales very well from 2-4 and can be played in half an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, what puts me off with Puerto Rico is the setup time. Also it can be quite hard to grasp what is supposed to be happening. Better if you have someone to teach you

Alhambra. A great game. I would recommend this.

Another is Thurn and Taxis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Leslie
United States
Concord
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you liked Pandemic you might try Shadows Over Camelot (which adds a traitor element with easy rules) or Red November. Battlestar Galactica is another but is a bit more complex.

I also agree that Tikal is a good choice. We love Agricola as well, but it is a bit heavier than other options you've listed...my 10 yr old daughter likes it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Frutos
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
frutos wrote:
Does anyone have experience playing Puerto Rico with 2-players? My teenager and I love games and are looking for something a step up in heaviness that plays well with 2-4 players.

In my experience Puerto Rico is OK with 2, but much better with more. Have you considered Race for the Galaxy? Although it's a card game, it's as heavy as Puerto Rico, scales very well from 2-4 and can be played in half an hour.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've read a few reviews for Race for the Galaxy and will look into it further. How easy is it to learn? Do you find it to be as enjoyable as Puerto Rico?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From your list I think both Puerto Rico and Princes of Florence are very good...but I they don't work well 2-players.

You may want to try out Agricola and Tikal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frutos wrote:
I'm looking for suggestions for 2-3 more games to add to my collection, and I'd like one of them to be a little heavier weight than the games I already own. I usually play with 2-4 players (my teenage son, my wife, and occassionaly my 8 year old) and enjoy player interaction. Here is what I'm thinking about:

Puerto Rico
Ra
Lost Cities

In the quote above, I've deleted the games that I don't know much about. Puerto Rico is certainly a heavy game. I might also consider Power Grid.

Ra is a good auction game, though I find it odd that you're bidding on floods, monuments, etc. which are events, not things. (I suppose you're making offerings to Ra.) You might also consider Medici, where the bidding is for goods of particular types and there are rewards for cornering the market. There is also a two player version Medici vs Strozzi.

Lost Cities is a great card game, but only plays 2, though you can play a partnership game with two sets. You might consider instead Keltis, which plays two to four. My wife, a long time Lost Cities player, says she likes the board game better.

Other games that I'd suggest for a family are:

Ticket to Ride Classic family game about claiming routes between cities to show who's the best traveller.

Ingenious I don't usually like abstract games, but I and the whole family like Ingenious. It scales very well from 2-4 players (you play with a bigger board for more players), the rules are simple, yet there are good decisions to make.

Qwirkle Called "Scrabble for those who can't spell". Players have blocks with a shape of a particular color printed on it. You play it like Scrabble, but your "words" are blocks of all the same shape or all the same color. I've played this with an eight year old who got the game immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:

Qwirkle Called "Scrabble for those who can't spell". Players have blocks with a shape of a particular color printed on it. You play it like Scrabble, but your "words" are blocks of all the same shape or all the same color. I've played this with an eight year old who got the game immediately.

Speaking of word games--it's not usually my favorite thing, but I recently bought BuyWord, and I think it's pretty great. It rewards long words, so you don't have to memorize two- and three-letter words, the way you do in Scrabble.

Also, BuyWord combines basic verbal skills with basic mathematical skills, and it's nice to get a taste of both at once.

Plus, it's a Sid Sackson design!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frutos wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I've read a few reviews for Race for the Galaxy and will look into it further. How easy is it to learn? Do you find it to be as enjoyable as Puerto Rico?

There is a bit of a learning curve, because the function of the cards is mainly expressed by symbols not in words. The first few games will be confusing, but if you get through that you'll be fine.

Race for the Galaxy actually started life as a card game version of Puerto Rico, but the Puerto Rico designer developed San Juan himself, so RFTG was rethemed. San Juan is much simpler than RFTG and I don't find it nearly as enjoyable, but it can be a good way to learn RFTG. RFTG is my favourite game, and I think the number of possible strategies and card combinations gives it much more replay value than either Puerto Rico or San Juan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Schmahl
United States
Sheboygan
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
When my wife and I purchased Race for the Galaxy it took about one game to understand how everything worked. We then played with the player aids and referenced the rule book occasionally for another two or three games. After that it becomes second nature. Takes a little bit of effort but the pay off is well worth it. RftG is one of our most played game. Highly recommended!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frutos wrote:

Puerto Rico
Alhambra
Princes of Florence
Ra
Saint Petersburg
Chinatown
I'm the Boss
Lost Cities
Citadels

Any advice or suggestions?

Puerto Rico: Palpable yet indirect player interaction. When you take an action on your turn, you trigger a sequence of events, and can surge forward or stymie other players based on our awareness of that sequence. PR a great place to start for meatier games, because it plays quickly and easily in 60-90 minutes for 3-4 players, not counting the learning game of course. I imagine you'd be playing 3-player games almost exclusively, which is the best number for newer players. It affords them the most control and gives them the most impact on the game. I recommend this, but it is the most complex game on your least.

Princes of Florence: Wonderful game with a lush theme and a strong emphasis on long-term strategy. It is quite possible, though certainly not mandatory, to be thinking about the specifics of your entire gameplan on turn two. Excellent with five players, and quite good with four (a bit more casual or easy-going). I can't recommend it with three.

Lost Cities: I recommend Battle Line instead. Core concept is similar (same designer) but expanded to give players a bit more to think about. Theme is undoubtedly better for most teenage boys, and somewhat better implemented to boot. Also, the hilarious 4th grade math test scoring in Lost Cities is nowhere to be seen in Battle Line.

St. Petersburg: No good with two. So-so with three and four. Definitely not a step-up in complexity from anything you already own. Player interaction is extremely indirect. St. Pete is the quintessential "build income then buy points" game, and for my money, it's more or less obsolete following the release of Dominion, which is just as fast, just as easy to teach, and gives players lots more freedom to experiment with different strategies (that all amount to "build income then buy points").

Odds and Ends:

-Beware of Race for the Galaxy. The nature of player interaction in the game has been discussed to death on the BGG forums, but suffice it to say that a player who utters the phrase "I enjoy player interaction" is going to be disappointed with RftG more often than not.

-FWIW, Pillars of the Earth is a step-down in complexity/depth from Stone Age. You might still enjoy it, but it's the lightest of the genre.

-Have you considered Thebes? For my money, it's the best "family" game out there, period, and your eight year old will love it. Of course there is some randomness (you're digging for treasure and you're never sure what you'll find) but the strategic elements to the game are quite engaging for all but the hardcore among us.

-Keep an eye out for Space Alert, which should be widely available in April. From one Pandemic fan to another - this is the next great co-op.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Daniels
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strictly two-player speaking: Roma. Just a great game. Balloon Cup offers some nice 'take that' moments as well; nothing too vicious.

2-4 player that scales well: Nexus Ops - OOP but it's easy to find for cheap. Great looking game that's fun.

3-5 player: Witch's Brew or even Modern Art.

Once you start falling a little farther down this 'rabbit hole' I'd look at:

2-player: Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42 if you're at all interested in WWII and wargaming. I'm not a wargamer at all and this game is superb.

2-4: Can't go wrong with Loopin' Louie. Looks like a kids game but you'll be surprised by how quickly the adults take over once it hits the table.

3-5: Cosmic Encounter. Awesome game. As long as you're family/friends don't mind a bit of a 'take that' aspect to gaming, this'll go over very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your 8 year old is your "fourth" it's pretty hard to recommend The Princes of Florence. It will go way over his head and the game isn't that great with 3.

Likewise for Puerto Rico. If you like the theme then maybe San Juan would appeal to you. I much prefer San Juan to Puerto Rico and it plays great with any number of players.

I like Ra with 3 and your 8 year old might surprise you on this one. Highly recommended but you won't be able to get it until summer. Matter of fact this one is on my "must have" list for people gaming with 3 or more. It's just a classic.

I really liked Saint Petersburg and it was fine when I played it with 3. One of the guys I played it with plays it 2 player with his wife and they both enjoy it. Seems like it might get a little scripted after a while but it should still be a fun quick game.

Lost Cities is pretty light. Your 8 year old won't understand the scoring math. Both my 9 year old and 10 year old prefer Battle Line which is similar but doesn't have the crazy math scoring and has more decision making.

One game that my kids really enjoy that's a little meatier is Thurn and Taxis. They also really enjoy Samurai. We have a lot of fun with For Sale and your 8 year old should be able to play that one easily after a game or two. Witch's Brew is on my radar and has been mentioned by someone else here. It's a great theme for kids and it has unique play. There's a great review of it here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico and Ra were I think the first two games that I got after Settlers and Carcassonne. I don't think you can go wrong with either really - Ra is pretty straightforward, while PR is fine as long as you familiarise yourself with the rules a few times before playing and/or watch one of the many video demos on this - I think Board Games with Scott has a good summary of this.

Agricola is a step up from Stone Age but well worth having in your game collection.

I really liked Keltis when I played it for the first time recently - I see someone has already commented on this.

If you are looking for games that might also appeal to your 8 year, then Zooloretto or Aquaretto might be worth a look.

As others have said, if you can only normally get 3 players to the table then Princes of Florence is probably not worth getting at this stage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge

Tikal great, great, great
Agricola probably more family friendly than Puerto Rico (even though I personally prefer PR)
Fearsome Floors fun all around, your youngest could play, quick game
Cash-a-Catch really fun, I always include this in family recommendations, not well known
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.