The Pursuit of von Spee» Forums » General

Subject: Coal! Oil! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
one of the things I like very much about tPovS is the detailed rules for how the German ships must account for fuel supplies, or coaling, how they spend it and how they must get it, and how this affects their strategy. I was reading some of the earlier posts in this forum regarding fueling and how to model it, and from what I've read the designer got the details right.

A similar situation in the Pacific occurred with the United States Navy and the Imperial Japanese Navy. The USN had excellent bases and many of them, and also had basically perfected the technique of 'underway replenishment' or fueling at sea on the eve of WW2, and overall had far more fuel supplies than their rival. The IJN had to carefully stockpile fuel, drill it Dutch East Indies (& elsewhere) and then transport it for refining in Japan proper; the transports for vulnerable to USN submarine interception, especially after we (again) broke their codes and also (ahem) corrected our sub-standard Mark 13 torpedoes (around mid/late 1943).

Anyways, here is a link to an excellent article on IJN fuel supplies / consumption and how it affected the Guadalcanal campaign. Note the non-linear curve that shows how maximum speed compares badly with fuel expenditure, while the less exciting 'cruising speed' is far better.

http://www.combinedfleet.com/guadoil1.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Fiett
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Ells wrote:
corrected our sub-standard Mark 13 torpedoes (around mid/late 1943).

You thought about Mark 14, didn't you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.